Leupold Scope Upgrade Help

Im looking to upgrade my Leupold VXL 4.5-14x50. I'm interested in something maybe with an MOA elevation turret and MOA reticle since I plan on buying a G7 rangefinder. I've always owned Leupold so the VX6 is an option. I'm also interested in the Nightforce MOA1000 or the NXS line. I don't know much about the dial turrets so I'm interested in knowing if the Leupolds are as reliable as the Nightforce are suppose to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
Let me preface this by saying I'm putting a VX6 on my main rifle.. if you are dialing for elevation constantly then you won't find a more reliable scope then the Nightforce NXS. Leupold scopes are nice and the VX6 is a great scope but they don't have the proven track record like the Nightforce.

mcseal2

WKR
My two main big game rifles have a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 with the TMOA reticle, and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 with the 4W reticle.

I too use the MOA system for windage and like having it in both scopes. I wish both had 1MOA windage hash marks, but they don't. My windage cards have what the hash's represent in bold letters across the top so I don't screw it up.

Both have tracked perfectly dialing in the time I've used them but neither is very old. I practice regularly to 700yds but am not set up to go further at this time at my range. The low light performance is to close to identical for me to pick a favorite but the Swaro has a smaller tube and objective. They both work extremely well and I'd recommend either. I have the Swaro on the lighter 300WM I use for bigger critters in steeper country and the Leupold on the 264WM I use for antelope and deer in places where reach is more important than weight.

One thing I really like about the Leupold is that they come with a cap for the elevation knob. I am still not totally sold on the exposed turrets and that's probably why I don't own a Nightforce. I don't look for long shots when hunting, rather practice so I'm able to make them if it's the only option. I like the KISS theory for hunting and having a cap over the turrets until it's time to dial makes sense to me, if I need to dial there will be time to remove the cap and do it. If not it's like a standard scope still dialed right where it was when I left it last time and I just shoot. I often use an Eberlestock pack with a scabbard and really dislike an exposed windage knob that could turn as I remove the rifle. I've taken game drawing the rifle from the scabbard in a hurry for a quick shot, and knowing the turrets are covered lets me shoot without looking at them first.

Just my opinion based off my hunting style. The Swaro Z5's elevation turret has never been moved while in my scabbard, but I still have to glance at it before shooting. The more steps I can eliminate the faster and more focused I can be on the normal range shots that make up the majority of my hunting shots.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Mine is there now for repairs. I opted for the CDS TURRETS w simple mil-dot notches. I prefer the lowere profile.