Leupold SX4 vs Gold Ring Spotter

swiftni

FNG
I’m in the market for a spotting scope and considering all potential options that aren’t going to make me go broke. (Used high end scopes, new upper mid range scopes)

Does anyone have experience with the 65mm SX4 and a 60mm Gold Ring HD?

In a previous thread I have asked about the Razor HD as well, and I’m open to any more input and comparisons with the Razor.

Thanks!

Following this as well. I have a lot of interest in the leupold SX-4 15-45x65 as well as Mavens CS.1 and Athlons ares 15-45x65.

I have interest in these due to budget and packability for backcountry.

I recently had a Vortex Razor HD Gen2 and sold it, upgraded to Leupold’s BX-5 15x56 and will never look back with that purchsse.

Nethero

WKR
I’m in the market for a spotting scope and considering all potential options that aren’t going to make me go broke. (Used high end scopes, new upper mid range scopes)

Does anyone have experience with the 65mm SX4 and a 60mm Gold Ring HD?

In a previous thread I have asked about the Razor HD as well, and I’m open to any more input and comparisons with the Razor.

Thanks!
From personal experience the SX-4 and Golden Ring HD spotter are similar in clarity at lower power. It’s when you crank up the zoom that I noticed the SX-4 lost its clarity more than the Golden Ring HD. However, the Golden ring HD showed significantly more chromatic aberration. This color bleed annoyed the hell out of me more so than the softer image of the SX-4.

In terms of ranking, the SX-4 sits solidly with the Vortex Viper, if not a notch above it. I would put the Golden Ring HD here as well because it’s rankings are a matter or trade offs. Then the Vortex Razor above all mentioned spotters.

I do not have experience with the SX-5 or any maven or athlon scopes, but the CS-1 looks like it might be similar to the SX-4 and the S1 looks similar to the SX-5, but that is purely speculation.

Honestly, it might be more beneficial for you to hold out and wait to find a used top tier spotting scope at a new mid tier price. My Swarovski ATS 65 is clearer and handles chromatic aberrations at 60X better than my Razor 85 does.

Also, the Nikon Monarch ED spotting scope is still a notch above the Razor without being as expensive as many others. However, Nikons supposed instability in the sports optic market and rather tepid track history of service would make me wary.

Food for thought!

Last edited:
OP
swiftni

swiftni

FNG
From personal experience the SX-4 and Golden Ring HD spotter are similar in clarity at lower power. It’s when you crank up the zoom that I noticed the SX-4 lost its clarity more than the Golden Ring HD. However, the Golden ring HD showed significantly more chromatic aberration. This color bleed annoyed the hell out of me more so than the softer image of the SX-4.

In terms of ranking, the SX-4 sits solidly with the Vortex Viper, if not a notch above it. I would put the Golden Ring HD here as well because it’s rankings are a matter or trade offs. Then the Vortex Razor above all mentioned spotters.

I do not have experience with the SX-5 or any maven or athlon scopes, but the CS-1 looks like it might be similar to the SX-4 and the S1 looks similar to the SX-5, but that is purely speculation.

Honestly, it might be more beneficial for you to hold out and wait to find a used top tier spotting scope at a new mid tier price. My Swarovski ATS 65 is clearer and handles chromatic aberrations at 60X better than my Razor 85 does.

Also, the Nikon Monarch ED spotting scope is still a notch above the Razor without being as expensive as many others. However, Nikons supposed instability in the sports optic market and rather tepid track history of service would make me wary.

Food for thought!
Thanks! I actually wound up picking up a used sts hd. Still in the market for a mid grade but serviceable spotter for my dad. Thinking more compact but still high quality.

ppt2211

FNG

Food for thought!
Interesting comments, because i think on the bino side bx4 > viper and people thinks bx4 is on par with razor. I should try a razor spotter in store at some point.

ppt2211

FNG
Following this as well. I have a lot of interest in the leupold SX-4 15-45x65 as well as Mavens CS.1 and Athlons ares 15-45x65.

I have interest in these due to budget and packability for backcountry.

I recently had a Vortex Razor HD Gen2 and sold it, upgraded to Leupold’s BX-5 15x56 and will never look back with that purchsse.
So did you opt for a 15x bino instead of a spotter? How well does it work for you?