Leupold Vari X 6 HD Question?

DennisT

FNG
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Leupold's newer version of the Vari X HD rifle scopes.

The 3-18 X 44 model is a really good fit for my new rifle. The weight is at the upper end of what I wanted, but is ok. I was really impressed with the quality of the glass. The locks on the turrets seemed like a really good idea, and the anti-cant feature is an added bonus.

What I am concerned about most is the tracking ability/ accuracy of their CDS. I was also wondering how reliable the illumination feature is. I have only owned one other illuminated scope, so my experience is very limited.

I have seen a few comments on-line, but not any real in-depth reviews. The comments I have seen have been mixed, so it's hard to really gauge whether or not it is a good scope to purchase.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice from someone who is familiar with the Vari X 6 HD's before I decide whether or not to purchase one.

Thank you,
Dennis

Quant

FNG
I have had the VX 6 HD 3 X 18 50mm since this fall, and used it for deer hunting this Nov. From a glass perspective, it is amazing. I haven't had it very long, but no tracking issues thus far. It returned to my zero perfectly every time at the range. I haven't sent in for my calibrated CDS turret yet, as I want to spend more time with it, using more load combinations. You will like the illuminated reticle.

The only issue that I had with the scope is that it doesn't have a lot of room for the rings between bell and the turret. Because I put it on a long action rifle, I ended up having to switch to a picatinny rail mount. Not that big of a deal though.

OP
DennisT

DennisT

FNG
Quant,

I really appreciate the info.

Thank you,
Dennis