Leupold, vortex, nightforce, or Swarovski

SDHNTR

WKR
I went to the NX8 4-32. I do think at the end of the day that is better scope all around than the Leupold VX-5. Kinda two completely different beast. I do
The VX5HD is going to be the most forgiving in regards to eye box and eye relief.

Not a fan of the NX8, the eye box is terrible and when hunting that's the last thing I want to worry about.

Can't go wrong with the NXS though, I didn't enjoy the glass much and the dials on the SHV but that's apparent when you look at the price range.

The PSTII is a target scope at the end of the day.

VX5HD 3-15x44 would be my pick given your price is probably more around $1,200 .. don't forget about the Zeiss V4 4-16x44 as well.
I agree with you on the NX8 eyebox. I like the NXS series overall, not perfect but Best of the compromises I am willing to accept. Now, if Leupold could get their act together and make that VX5 actually reliable and track correctly, I’d own 10 of them. That scope checks so many boxes, except working properly and being dependable.

The NXS is sweet, just a bit too heavy for my liking. All of those weight savings went to an Atlas Cal bipod.

We'll see how the next two months go for my VX5HD on my new 7 SAUM build. Have you seen any tracking issues on scopes made in '21 or '22?? I know it was a prevalent problem not long ago.

SDHNTR

WKR
The NXS is sweet, just a bit too heavy for my liking. All of those weight savings went to an Atlas Cal bipod.

We'll see how the next two months go for my VX5HD on my new 7 SAUM build. Have you seen any tracking issues on scopes made in '21 or '22?? I know it was a prevalent problem not long ago.
My experience with the VX5 going south was in 2019, so no idea if new ones are better. I would be shocked though, as Leupold has thoroughly and repeatedly claimed since then that tracking is not an issue.

I’m up to two SHVs and eyeing a third. Once you get one… hard to trust anything else! What I like is that paired with a consistently accurate rifle, when you twist that dial the bullet ends up where it’s supposed to. They work, every single time.

EvanG17

FNG
I have a VX 5 on my tiika and i love it. Cant speak for the others though. From what i have read they are all great optics

JFK

WKR
I just put an SHV on a new rifle. Love most things about it. Primarily the fact that I’m not dicking around getting the rifle zeroed. They move in a predictable way shot to
shot, and coming from years of leupold I can honestly say this was the easiest scope to zero. The moar reticle is just ok. It’s very fine when compared to a standard duplex and can be hard to pic up on dark backgrounds. The illumination fixes that but it took a bit of getting used to.

SDHNTR

WKR
I just put an SHV on a new rifle. Love most things about it. Primarily the fact that I’m not dicking around getting the rifle zeroed. They move in a predictable way shot to
shot, and coming from years of leupold I can honestly say this was the easiest scope to zero. The moar reticle is just ok. It’s very fine when compared to a standard duplex and can be hard to pic up on dark backgrounds. The illumination fixes that but it took a bit of getting used to.
Agree with this 100%. I have MOAR and Forceplex. For the reason you mention, I prefer the Forceplex on most non Long Range rifles. Once you get used to MOAR tho, it’s quite handy and can be used to measure easily.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Only one i have experience w was the Viper and was not impressed testing it at 1030 pm next to a 1990 redfield illuminator. Could see redfield reticle but not the viper. Sent it back the very next day.

JHDoritos

FNG
NF and if you can save the extra $$ go with the NX8 4-32. sounds like what you are looking for. I think its 8oz heavier than the leupold but i dont worry about it or a button on my elevation dial. ended up likely it so much i bought a second one for rifle i got for my wife ;)
My hunting buddy has the leupold and he is happy with that. its a great scope too.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Dialing on the range I like the Nightforce. Hunting I like the Leupold. To my eye the Leupold has better glass and I see better with it in low light.

I am a big Swarovski fan, but the ones that I am familiar with are pretty far out of the stated price range. One of the fellows in our elk hunting group does use one of their lower priced scopes, and he does seem to like it.

Vortex has a great warranty for when they break. Otherwise it can not compete well with the others on your list.

V-TRAIN

WKR
Might also want to consider the Leupold Mark 5hd.
I had a Swaro X5 50mm and sold it and got a Mark 5 in 44mm, I love the compact size of it, and optically I could see no difference.

My experience with the VX5 going south was in 2019, so no idea if new ones are better. I would be shocked though, as Leupold has thoroughly and repeatedly claimed since then that tracking is not an issue.
If you don’t mind could you provide details of the failure?

Lewichris

FNG
I’m sorry to ask another opinion question. Which would you recommend?
1. Leupold VX-5 HD
2. Vortex Viper PST gen 2
3. NightForce SHV
4. Swarovski Z5

Why do put like your pick? What do dislike about the others?
Want to stay under about $1500
I have the PST and a VX6 and VX5. The PST works well and tracks well but is big long and heavy. For me personally i like the calrity weight and size of the VX HD scopes. I love the zero stops. Having the option for the CDS was my reason for buying. I can not comment on the others sorry.

tdhanses

WKR
NF SHV, you don’t want a failure during your hunt. The 3-10x42 SHV isn’t super heavy and is very reliable and more then capable to 1000yds if you are.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you don’t mind could you provide details of the failure?
Was actually my cousin’s rifle, but I was there for it all. Prep for an Alaskan hunt. Dialed out to 400 yards at the range. Center punched. Dialed back to zero and put the rifle away. Show up in Alaska, outfitter wants to head to the range. Shoot at 100 and Hit 4 inches low. Odd. Dial back up 4 MOA And now 4 inches high again. Dial back down to zero, simply thinking that the scope got bumped off in transit (even though it was exclusively vertical error), and 4 inches low again. Burn up a box of ammo twisting back-and-forth to finally get back to something usable. Got it about 2 to 2 1/2 inches high at 100 and taped the turret fixed. Killed a goat at nearly 300 yards, so in the end it worked out, but was overly stressful and unnecessary. Scope would not track nor return to zero reliably.