Leupold Vs. Nightforce for .300 Win Mag

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
NF NSX is the winner for me and my rifle for hunting and fun shooting. I had a 2.5-10x24 that I would switch between an AR and my XBolt; however with the latest and greatest liberal laws I sold the 24mm version and bought a 2.5-10x42mm version.

My only gripe would be I liked the capped windage version on the 24mm obj model as a feature more than the 42mm which is an exposed/non capped windage model.

I love the SHV. Mines the 4-14 F1 and it’s been perfect so far. It’s tracked perfectly with lots of dialing. I wish they made a 5-25 F1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

LIbow31

FNG
I love the SHV. Mines the 4-14 F1 and it’s been perfect so far. It’s tracked perfectly with lots of dialing. I wish they made a 5-25 F1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is my one hold up. I wish the Nf had a bit more range in magnification for the weight it has. I am now considering Maven RS.1. has a nice range, and the weight is a bit less with nothing but good to be found

Nightforce............

I have a VX5 with battery issues and the lighted reticle is off center, a VX3 custom shop with erector issues, a pair of 8x32 binos with internal lens chip, A range finder the circuit board went bad in after 3 years. I have a big box literally going back to Leupold customer service next week of all the leupold optics that have gone bad over the last year or so.

They have good customer service and will make it right, but i'll be honest, I dont think for the thousands of dollars I've spent on Leupold stuff its worth it.

I don't want products that i will need to use customer service.

I've had much better luck with other less expensive Japanese optics.

They have good Customer Service ...... Leupold is not for me any more after 21 years of using their products, I m moving on.

Buy Nice or Buy twice ........ that is very true

Good Luck

Before I got my NF 4-14X56mm I never rang steel at 1000 yards, or even 500 yards. Was dinging 1000 steel the same day I sighted in this scope. NF all the way!

4-14X56 scope.jpg

Putting a 5-20X56mm on my new rifle.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
If you are in the market for a SFP scope that holds zero and tracks dependably, then NF or Tract are the way to go. Leupold is not even close.

I can't speak to NF, as I have limited experience with them, but their reputation certainly speaks for itself. I do have a Tract Toric 2-10×42, and can attest it's the entire package. In my low light tests, it way outperformed a Leupold FX-3 6x42 in brightness, resolution, and reticle visibility. I have run it 3 seasons and it tracks reliably and has held zero on a lightweight 30-06. They also have 4" of eye relief, which will be welcome for your 300 WM. I believe they are the best SFP scope for the money on the market now. The 2-10×42 weighs 18oz.

Now if you want a FFP scope, we will have a different conversation. 😄

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
this is my one hold up. I wish the Nf had a bit more range in magnification for the weight it has. I am now considering Maven RS.1. has a nice range, and the weight is a bit less with nothing but good to be found

Thats exactly what drew me to it, had all the features I desired without all the extras I did not need. If you look at the specs it has plenty of eye relief as well for our 300WM. A lot of people will push NF and they are great scopes, I even was set on purchasing one because of the reasons stated above. I spent a lot of time looking through them in stores comparing them to Leupold, Zeiss, Swaro. The weight drew me away regardless of how durable they are, yes accidents happen but I don’t have any doubts my Maven will hold up to abuse, and I’m not going to throw it off a cliff. I’m ultimately very happy with the RS.1, and it was very hard for me to find any negatives on it and I looked very hard. Direct to consumer purchasing is also a plus, you get a great quality scope without paying the prices that the other scopes that compete with it. It’s a great hunting scope, mines getting mounted this weekend, I’ll throw up some pictures after it’s finished.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this with myself.

I chose a SHV 3-10. Loopy has terrible reviews as of late. Go nightforce and never look back

Wassid82

WKR
Just Purchased a new .300 Win Mag X-bolt Hells Canyon and am looking to top it off with some glass. I was almost buying the Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44, as my brother has one and loves it, and him and my dad have a few leupolds they really like. I am now hesitant to drop that kind of money after seeing a whole bunch of issues with tracking and having to rezero after tracking. Now I will say, this is a hunting rifle, but also a western hunting rifle, so while I won't be Long range precision shooting, I will be dialing up to 500 or so yards if needed. I have seen a lot of good stuff on the Nightforce SHV, but before now, have never heard of them or seen them in person. How do these compare? feature wise, glass quality and brightness wise, etc. Would I be better off and happier with the Night force? I want to stay within the $1000 range
I recently bought the same set up and had a dilemma about which scope.....then I saw this....

OP
L

LIbow31

FNG
I placed my Order for the Maven RS.1 today. The range of magnification and the more eye relief being the two deciding factors. I wasn't able to find a bad word about either company, so hopefully when it comes in i can get some rounds through it. I really liked the SHV, but with almost an inch less relief, i decided id try this maven out and see what its got. Will report back

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just went through this with myself.

I chose a SHV 3-10. Loopy has terrible reviews as of late. Go nightforce and never look back

those shv 3-10s are great scopes, one of the best scopes out there for him ting IMO, I’ve really been liking the nxs 2.5-10.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I chose the SHV to get the IHR reticle. I bought mine used (like new cond) for $700 off of gbroker

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty impressed with the clarity of the scope, got to take it out for the first time today. I bought the clear lens filter for protection and didn’t change the clarity at all. I only have a pair of vortex binos, so going from them to this scope is like a whole different game, being able to see mirage, the sharpness of the target, I’m very happy with my purchase, so I hope you are as well. It’s also really awesome they give you the neoprene cover, fits really well once mounted.
A0A70B01-35B7-4CB3-B1B1-D428C2A08F33.jpeg
C3DE3854-EDB4-48A5-868B-634FAEA32212.jpeg

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Another vote for the Meopta Optika 6. I picked up a 2.5-15x44 with KDot reticle from Cameraland...they still have it on sale for $429 right now. The solid construction and brightness in my opinion are typical of scopes well into the $1,000+ range. Just as bright as my 2-12x50 Swaro. The KDot reticle is really nice too...very clean and uncluttered.

Marcus21

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same vx5hd 3-15 you were looking at...no complaints here thus far

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hogyotedeer

Banned
In my personal experience Nightforce is great until there is a problem. I have three friends that have had serious problems with warranty work from Nightforce. I prefer the Nightforce scopes personally. If they had the Leupold warranty you would have the best of both worlds. I own many Leopold scopes as well, and they are a very good bang for the buck. Their warranty is the best I have ever experienced and have only had to use it once in 25 yrs. I have purchased my last Nightforce.

JakeSCH

WKR
You won't be disappointed with the RS.1, mine has held zero since I installed through several hunting season across multiple states. Its only downside is weight (25 oz), but it is still not bad.

Ohearchai

FNG
Never had an issue with either, depends on your budget and what you are looking for. Put a vx3i 30mm on a rifle recently, seems a fine little scope, a buddy just hunted in Alaska with a vx5, no issues. Killed plenty of deer with a 2.5-10x24, one of my fav scopes of all time, just a do it all. Some quality optics out there, just depends what you want, weight, clarity, reliablity. Obviously all comes at a premium