Leupold vs. Vortex

I've always had Leupold optics but the buzz about Vortex lately has got me curious. I've looked through a few (in the store of course) and they look similar through the lens. Who has used both in the field and what have you found as a better scope?

For me and my eyes vortex is never as clear as a similar priced optic. My leupold scopes blow vortex away in a similar price range. Leupold VX-2 compared to a Vortex Viper HSLR similar power ranges.

Leupold made in USA, Vortex in Asia (lower tier in China, middle tier in Philippines and upper tier in Japan). That is all.

Last edited:

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure this statement is entirely true. I own at least one pair of Leupold glass made in Japan.

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
My vortex vipers are made in Japan, not china.
And are much clearer than my Leupolds.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had the Vortex Razor 50mm and 65mm spotters and their Viper HSLR rifle scope, and was pretty unimpressed with the glass in all three of them......especially on max powers. I've never had an issue with a Leupold scope. And I just put a new Mark 4 on a rifle the other day.

This isn't going to help you compare the two, but you seriously can't go wrong with either product. They are both really good quality and the warranties are awesome.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think a better statement is they both have cheap lines thru more expensive lines, each tier is decent for the market it serves. At each tier there are at times better alternatives.

WRO

WKR
Leupold made in USA, Vortex in Asia (lower tier in China, middle tier in Philippines and upper tier in Japan). That is all.

Not true, If its not a Gold Ring product, they're made in the same OEM factories as Vortex, bushnell, etc.

Not true, If its not a Gold Ring product, they're made in the same OEM factories as Vortex, bushnell, etc.
Touche. Let's just agree that if you compare Leupold and Vortex, more of Leupold is manufactured in the USA. Can't really compare the optical quality but all other things being equal, manufacturing in the USA is a big deal to me.

KurtR

WKR
Well not really true since alot of stuff is being assembled by vortex in Wisconsin. And the amg can actually be stamped made in America. What does leupy make that actually carries the made in America symbol? Since they source out most of the components made by non American companies they have lost that label. The law suit they faced a few years ago was eye opening for the I buy made in Merica crowd and leupy is the best ever fan boys.

WRO

WKR
Touche. Let's just agree that if you compare Leupold and Vortex, more of Leupold is manufactured in the USA. Can't really compare the optical quality but all other things being equal, manufacturing in the USA is a big deal to me.

If you're talking scope then yes, if your talking sport optics (bino's and spotters) then no.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Guys the op asked about opinions on optics. Please keep your comments relevant to the questions.

To the op, I have used a lot of products from both companies and typically I prefer Leupold over Vortex when comparing apples to apples. That is just my opinion based on my experiences and uses. I think both companies make some great products and both make some not so great products. I have personally experienced great customer service from Leupold and have not used the customer service from Vortex. At this point I no longer own any Vortex products.

KurtR

WKR
That's the thing opinions are great it's the all around lies that are not needed. My experience is just the opposite of yours but we really are in the golden age for optics consumers. With all the choices of quality optics.

My opinion on scopes is way to many mark 4 breaking at comps I have been to only seen one razor go down and my hslr has been flawless. A scope is an aiming tool and I can say I have never not been able to see past legal shooting time with any of them I have used except the bsa when I was 12. So I internals are more important to me than being able to see a fly on a elk from a 1000 yards.

Spotting scopes and binoculars what ever looks best to a individual and what they want to spend is probably the best choice. Most companies are measuring resolution with equipment the human eye can't compare to.

If people hate vortex that's cool or if they hate Schmidt and bender or who ever I don't care but don't makes lies up to prop up your decision of what you bought.

gelton

WKR
I have, own and use both so here is my take. Leupold scopes VXIII and better have better glass than Vortex scopes less than Razor quality.

If you are talking spotting scopes and binos then Vortex Razor has better glass than Leuopold. Just my opinion but I own the Razor spotting scope and binos and think they do a great job for what they are + their price point and warranty and I think they outperform Leupold in this category.

However, I have a Leuopold VX3 scope and think it is heads and shoulders above Vortex Viper which isn't nearly as bright. Now I am certainly no optics afficianado but that is my experience and opinion. Bitterroot might chime in on why that may or may not be but thats my analysis.

Warranty wise they are both excellent.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an unknown number of Leupold scopes and several Vortex. I like the Vortex scopes but my overall preference is the Leupold scopes. The glass appears sharper and clearer and the "feel" is better. Someone else may be able to get you the numbers, but weight for the Leupold should be less is my recall. Probably personal preference and price point if any.

Justin isn't going to lead you astray with his comments.

For rifle scopes i would choose Leopold. for binos if your willing to spend 1K or more i would look elsewhere. under 1K either will work. spotters, again I would probably look else where besides the 12-40-60 gold ring.

MatSuDano

FNG
Had both. Only have Leupolds now (with the exception of a Swaro I mounted on a mountain gun due to it's light weight). Lots of features for the money on the Vortex, but IN MY OPINION, the glass/clarity of similarly priced Vortex just does not compare to the Leupolds.