Leupold VX-3HD or VX-5

TN2shot07

WKR
So I'm looking for glass for a Howa 25-06 that I recently picked up.

My other rifles currently wear VX-3i's in either 3.5-10 or 2.5-8 and I've had great experiences with them so far.

I don't currently run anything with a CDS dial as all of my shots fall below the 300 yard mark so I just do the 3 inches high at 100. Since there was a slight price increase with the new line I was leaning toward trying one of the VX-5's in 2-10x42 and wanted to see if anyone had used both and how they compared and if it's worth it?

Thanks!
Josh

83cj-7

WKR
I own several of both in lots of different flavors. The VX5 is the clear winner (no pun intended). If you can swing the extra $, that’s the one I would choose.

OP
TN2shot07

TN2shot07

WKR
I own several of both in lots of different flavors. The VX5 is the clear winner (no pun intended). If you can swing the extra $, that’s the one I would choose.
That’s where I’m leaning, just trying to figure out if it’s justified. Not sure if I’ll be able to catch one one sale or if I will end up biting the bullet! Thanks!

So I'm looking for glass for a Howa 25-06 that I recently picked up.

My other rifles currently wear VX-3i's in either 3.5-10 or 2.5-8 and I've had great experiences with them so far.

I don't currently run anything with a CDS dial as all of my shots fall below the 300 yard mark so I just do the 3 inches high at 100. Since there was a slight price increase with the new line I was leaning toward trying one of the VX-5's in 2-10x42 and wanted to see if anyone had used both and how they compared and if it's worth it?

Thanks!
Josh
What’d you end up going with? I have a 3-15 VX5 HD on my .260 AI. Just bought a 3.5-10 VX 3i with the Z cds to go on my .270. Interested to see how it compares.

OP
TN2shot07

TN2shot07

WKR
What’d you end up going with? I have a 3-15 VX5 HD on my .260 AI. Just bought a 3.5-10 VX 3i with the Z cds to go on my .270. Interested to see how it compares.
I ended up going with a vx5 2-10, it’s definitely a step up from my vx3’s. I was at the range at daybreak yesterday morning and there was a noticeable difference side by side. Once the sun was up there’s not much difference besides a nice field of view

RZMan

FNG
Spring grizzly hunt in Alaska coming up soon. I had put a 30 year old VX3 from a 7mm I recently sold on my new Ruger .338 win mag. I wrestled with the idea of an upgrade to the VX5HD fire dot illuminated not knowing the tangible difference until I finally went to a local gun store and picked up and looked through both side by side. No contest. I bought the VX5 on the spot. Much better glass morning, evening or mid day and the 30mm is superior to the 1" without a doubt. The fire dot is a nice feature as well and for my tired eyes, that makes a big difference. Well worth the investment.

Last edited:
Love the fire dot. Shot a hog last week with barely any light. Pretty sure I wouldn’t have gotten the job done without the fire dot.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
I have not messed with the VX3-HD but i just sold a VX5-HD (2-10x42 w/ CDS and firedot) today. I actually compared it side by side to my S&B Klassik 3-12x42 with illuminated reticle last night. I was facing SSE into a field as the sun was setting. The end of the field was about 520 yards away into some think brush so it gave me a great area to look at against a dark background and shadows in the trees behind. The dial for the illumination on the S&B wins for me as i don't like pressing the button but i like having the illuminated reticle on both. The Leupold held its own as far as glass goes. With no paralax adjust on either of the models i had i was surprised how well it compared. It was very bright and better eye box behind the rifle than the S&B. I tested each on the same magnification. as i went up in magnification i went up on both scopes. I would have no problem buying a VX5-HD again. However, the price i got the S&B for brand new from Euro Optic i would gladly pay that extra money for the S&B again. The Leupold was $1000 the S&B was $1400. Both lasted well past shooting light, the S&B lasted about 7-8 minutes longer (this isn't that big of deal as past shooting light you don't need to shoot IMHO). Both were clear and had no issues with getting detail on objects even deer out in the field on this evening. I was able to tell more detail out of S&B and the depth of the picture was better. the edge clarity was better on the S&B as my Leupold i could tell their was some fuzziness round the edges. Not a big deal you center stuff in your scope and you don't glass with them. With that, i would say go with the VX5HD over the VX3HD. i think they have better coatings on it over the vx3HD. It compared well to my S&B. It runs about 90% of what i think the S&B can do, but probably 99% of the S&B for actual hunting applications.

Cargun

FNG
Good call on the VX5. With the price of the new vx3 I think the step up is an easy decision unless weight is a concern. And then I might just go vx freedom.

I only have one 3i, a 3.5-10 and have trouble focusing behind it. Vastly prefer my older vx3 and vx2 scopes and even the vx freedom. I have the same issue with a couple razor hd lh scopes. Not sure if I got a bad sample or if there is something with the 3i that doesn't agree with me. Haven't bought a 3HD to test at the range yet, went VX5 on the last rifle and am LOVING it!

Will be keeping an eye put on deals on a 2.5-8 HD to check out though as I don't want a big vx5 on all my rifles.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
Good call on the VX5. With the price of the new vx3 I think the step up is an easy decision unless weight is a concern. And then I might just go vx freedom.

I only have one 3i, a 3.5-10 and have trouble focusing behind it. Vastly prefer my older vx3 and vx2 scopes and even the vx freedom. I have the same issue with a couple razor hd lh scopes. Not sure if I got a bad sample or if there is something with the 3i that doesn't agree with me. Haven't bought a 3HD to test at the range yet, went VX5 on the last rifle and am LOVING it!

Will be keeping an eye put on deals on a 2.5-8 HD to check out though as I don't want a big vx5 on all my rifles.
here is one