Leupold VX-5 HD Tracking (Opinions on Huskemaw?)

I’m a bit concerned now also. So far I have been running a vx-5hd 3-15 with excellent results dialing out to 1,000 and back. No problems as of yet and I use it pretty hard. Setting on a 22 creed. currently. Any other options with that locking elevation turret?

I’m careful to jump on an internet bandwagon just yet. I shot my VX5HD today and it tracked just fine. I’ll wait till I personally experience an issue.

982254ae65f93561555602c3e505b24e.jpg

de0d12823aae5d8321eeb30c18a9eaf1.jpg
1dd32121589a2169028b88b1414e52e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoonman

WKR
Not sure it’s just a internet bandwagon thing?! I know of a couple guys at my range and a fellow hunting partner that have had issues with the scopes not tracking properly. The deal is that when one spends that much on a optic you shouldn’t experience or hear about any of these issues like we hear about with the Leupold scopes. Find a topic about Nightforce not tracking, you probably won’t! There isn’t even this many threads on Vortex not tracking. Great glass and amazing customer service! That being said I don’t spend $1500 on a scope to have to use the customer service. I need one that is reliable “all” the time!

I’m cool reporting back if I have problems. Otherwise I’ll enjoy the scope and if it has issues give them a chance to fix it. If it has issues again I’ll get rid of it and change brands.

When I look at most of the folks I grew up around in MN and ND, the average annual round count through their deer rifles might be 10 at most. Folks are still “sighting in” their rifles with a few rounds every year. Of course those folks aren’t seeing a high failure rate or even aware that their scopes might have issues.

Agree....if you're a Set it and Forget it.....you have some, but little credibility. I don't think asking a scope to hold Zero with not adjusting after initial zero.....is much to ask at all.

Not at all how I use the scope or how I intend to hunt and shoot using the optic. Think that's the same for most on here. Why buy a scope with a locking adjustable turret and not use it or be that 100 yard Deer Blind Texan?

manitou1

WKR
I just googled nightforce tracking problems and did find multiple posts and forums describing issues. Scopes are temperamental. Seems like it can be luck of the draw for a good dialer.
I have seen posts praising the latest and greatest scope and another will follow up with tracking issues, etc.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Spoonman

WKR
I just googled nightforce tracking problems and did find multiple posts and forums describing issues. Scopes are temperamental. Seems like it can be luck of the draw for a good dialer.
I have seen posts praising the latest and greatest scope and anothe will.follow up.with tracking issues, etc.
Good luck.

I guess you’re right that there are people that have had issues it’s with a Nightforce not tracking. What I mean is that there are shit loads of forums and people that have had issues with leupold’s not tracking or holding zero. I bet that Nightforce has had the least amount of issues in comparison to leupold, and Vortex. I’m sure every single optics manufacturer has had issues at some point or another but it seems Leupold is leading the way in the topic!

manitou1

WKR
Not defending Leupold, but I bet a chitload more Leupolds are sold annually than are N.F., which can skew perceptions considerably. Except for a possible occasional mishap, NO manufacturer should be putting out scopes that cannot track in a premium scope line.

204guy

WKR
All manufacturers put out product that doesn't work, it's a function of human manufacturing. You need to play the numbers of the % of defective product. Nightforce and Leupold, is like racing a thoroughbred and a donkey.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Spoonman

WKR
All manufacturers put out product that doesn't work, it's a function of human manufacturing. You need to play the numbers of the % of defective product. Nightforce and Leupold, is like racing a thoroughbred and a donkey.

I don’t think so when talking VX5HD or VX6HD vs SHV. Pretty comparable optics. Somewhat close in price and both have great glass and similar options.

204guy

WKR
When I look at most of the folks I grew up around in MN and ND, the average annual round count through their deer rifles might be 10 at most. Folks are still “sighting in” their rifles with a few rounds every year. Of course those folks aren’t seeing a high failure rate or even aware that their scopes might have issues.
10, you grew around some shooters. I grew up in a shotgun zone around guys that don't even know what shooting prone is.

The other common one is "I've got 20, 30, 100 Leupolds, never had one fail." They just don't mention those scopes don't have 500 rounds combined.

204guy

WKR
I don’t think so when talking VX5HD or VX6HD vs SHV. Pretty comparable optics. Somewhat close in price and both have great glass and similar options.
???

I was talking about the percentage of scopes made to dial that make it into consumers hands that are defective.

Spoonman

WKR
???

I was talking about the percentage of scopes made to dial that make it into consumers hands that are defective.

????? you said comparing Nightforce to Leupold is like comparing a thoroughbred and a donkey. I’m saying those are comparable. That’s what I was talking about. I understand the part about percentage.

I had both a VX-6 and VX-5 fail on me in the last 3 months. One on my Sako .260 and another on my Mesa 6.5 PRC. Really disappointing and I’ll be permanently moving on from Leupold until they get their crap together. Anyone want to buy a couple lightly used scopes for cheap? Lol.

If you are serious I am interested in one of those scopes. PM me if you are.

I must be the lucky one. I’m a huge NF fan (due to reliability and tracking) but in the last 2 years ive purchased and abused several Mark 5HD’s and VX5HD’s. All on top the worst case scenario rifles.....ultralight 6.5lbs Carbon 300 RUMs WITH muzzle brakes. Ultralight magnums with brakes are ruthless on optics. I prob have 700-800 rounds down tube on each of the 2 or 3 different rifles. Have yet to have an issue. I have a very well known gun smith outside of Great Falls MT who has also never had a VX5HD or Mark 5HD fail on any of his customers rifles. I just recently sent in a 5-25x56 NF ATaCR for tracking issue. Had excellent vertical travel going up....but never would come back down. NF CS was ok at best. Very slow process. Good communication though. They replaced the elevation turret. Not trying to go against the grain here, but don’t believe everything you always hear. Leupold probably sells 500 to say 5 of NF. So there’s gonna be more to talk about with the Leupy.
Im definitely a highend optics guy, but I’ve seen my fair share of the the S&B’s, NF, March, Minox, Kahles fall too.

Last edited:

TNgobbler

FNG
I must be the lucky one. I’m a huge NF fan (due to reliability and tracking) but in the last 2 years ive purchased and abused several Mark 5HD’s and VX5HD’s. All on top the worst case scenario rifles.....ultralight 6.5lbs Carbon 300 RUMs WITH muzzle brakes. Ultralight magnums with brakes are ruthless on optics. I prob have 700-800 rounds down tube on each of the 2 or 3 different rifles. Have yet to have an issue. I have a very well known gun smith outside of Great Falls MT who has also never had a VX5HD or Mark 5HD fail on any of his customers rifles. I just recently sent in a 5-25x56 NF ATaCR for tracking issue. Had excellent vertical travel going up....but never would come back down. NF CS was ok at best. Very slow process. Good communication though. They replaced the elevation turret. Not trying to go against the grain here, but don’t believe everything you always here. Leupold probably sells 500 to say 5 of NF. So there’s gonna be more to talk about with the Leupy.
Im definitely a highend optics guy, but I’ve seen my fair share of the the S&B’s, NF, March, Minox, Kahles fall too.

Send me a PM please. Im a new member and not able to send direct message.

Shoes

FNG
I must be the lucky one. I’m a huge NF fan (due to reliability and tracking) but in the last 2 years ive purchased and abused several Mark 5HD’s and VX5HD’s. All on top the worst case scenario rifles.....ultralight 6.5lbs Carbon 300 RUMs WITH muzzle brakes. Ultralight magnums with brakes are ruthless on optics. I prob have 700-800 rounds down tube on each of the 2 or 3 different rifles. Have yet to have an issue. I have a very well known gun smith outside of Great Falls MT who has also never had a VX5HD or Mark 5HD fail on any of his customers rifles. I just recently sent in a 5-25x56 NF ATaCR for tracking issue. Had excellent vertical travel going up....but never would come back down. NF CS was ok at best. Very slow process. Good communication though. They replaced the elevation turret. Not trying to go against the grain here, but don’t believe everything you always hear. Leupold probably sells 500 to say 5 of NF. So there’s gonna be more to talk about with the Leupy.

ZL2 or ZL3 turrets on those VX5s?

Got a couple hundred rounds now with my VX5HD and it’s been on the money. I’m a member of several Internet forums and I’ve seen group think take over. Sometimes there is merit but other times an “expert” on a forum has an opinion or experience and everyone tags along.