Leupold VX-5hd 3-15x44mm

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
Put these on my last 2 light weight hunting builds... Seem like a very well optioned hunting scope for the $949... Zero Stop... windplex, covered windage turrets... and enough adjustment for the rifles I used them in in talley light weight 20moa rings... I have a 28 nosler light weight build about done and I am looking for a scope with more power but in the 24-26 oz range... so far I am considering the Leupold VX-5hd 3-18x44 or the Nightforce 5-20 shv ... Please give me your opinions on these... Thanks Dave

Spoonman

WKR
VX5HD 4-20x52 at 23.5 ounces is pretty awesome!

VX6HD 4-24x52 at 26 ounces is another one to look at!

I have a 5-20x56 SHV and love it but it’s definitely heavier.

OP
dgarrett

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
I think the SHV is around 28 oz.... Have you used the other Leupolds???? I am a Nightforce fan.. I have 4 5.5-22x56mm scopes .... I feel if the toughness , comparable glass, and zero stops are all about the same I would go with the nightforce but need some guidance as I have never had a SHV in my hands and only the Leupold VX-5hd 3-15 on 2 rifles... Thanks for any help... Dave

LaHunter

WKR
I have no experience with the Leupold models listed or Nightforce scopes, but the VX 5HD and VX 6HD seem to get solid reviews by people that are using them (or at least claiming to). I know the non HD models had tracking issues, but it seems the HD models may have these bugs worked out, based on the info that I am seeing.

Spoonman

WKR
I have a VX5HD that’s been back to leupold for repair because it failed. I had it zeroed at 200 on my 300wm and it would hold zero just fine but if I dialed out to any distance and then dialed back to zero I would always be 3-8” low depending on how for out I was dialing back down from. Leupold confirmed it was faulting and fixed it fast but now I have concerns on hunting with it. My SHV’s are always spot on! I’ll sacrifice the extra weight .

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It means he hates Leupold!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don’t hate Leupold- shooting a Mark 6 the last two days. Alongside multiple Nightforces. The only scope having to be rezeroed (twice) is the Leupold. It also has 4% error in adjustments, and RTZ error of between .1-.3 mil.

Clarktar

WKR
I don’t hate Leupold- shooting a Mark 6 the last two days. Alongside multiple Nightforces. The only scope having to be rezeroed (twice) is the Leupold. It also has 4% error in adjustments, and RTZ error of between .1-.3 mil.
I love the data!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
Ouch. It'd be awesome if Leupold could get their erectors figured out.

Sadly, I don't think they care. Tons of market share already, and few buyers who actually verify their new scopes, let alone shoot them much after the first 'review'...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sadly, I don't think they care. Tons of market share already, and few buyers who actually verify their new scopes, let alone shoot them much after the first 'review'...

Yes. This is the big lie- “leupold fixed the new “xxxx” model”. The internet and shooting world is on a 3-5 year cycle. They don’t know the history.
First the Mark 4 M3 LR’s didn’t work. Then the 2.5-8x TS30’s didn’t work. Then they had the Mark 4 4.5-14x that was supposed to fix everything... they didn’t work. Then Mark 8’s that were “fixed”. They weren’t. Then Mark 4 34mm’s that was awesome..... except they aren’t. Then Mark 6’s really truly did fix everything. Yeah no. Then updated Mark 6’s. Miss again. Then Mark 5’s are the bestest ever. Sure only about 20% have issues in a couple days of use- much better.

Same with their hunting line up. It follows the exact same path. I, and numerous others have had Leupold come out to ranges after them all but telling us that we are liars, shown them the issues, and always they are so stunned and swear they will fix it.

I am not a Leupold hater, I’m a Leupold realist. I see them in large numbers and can see what they do. Leupold could care less, and there is no “new” model that is going to change that.

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
Well I didn't realize they sucked so bad. I haven't shot at long distance enough to have a problem I guess. Unfortunately I just bought a VX6 HD. I should have read a little more on this forum about them.

Wrongside

WKR
Well I didn't realize they sucked so bad. I haven't shot at long distance enough to have a problem I guess. Unfortunately I just bought a VX6 HD. I should have read a little more on this forum about them.
I feel you Ben. Not a good feeling hearing such negative feedback on an exciting new purchase.

I used to be a big Leupold fan, owned nothing but. After years of wierd, unexplainable zero shifts and bizarre tracking, I started experimenting with other scopes. Scopes with better reputation for the things that matter in an aiming device- durability, RTZ, zero retention, tracking... The increase in precision and repeatability was incredible. I haven't had to re-zero a scope in years.

Im down to 3 Leupolds, and they rarely see the light of day. Never any 'serious' trips. I just don't trust them to hold up.

bartman9

FNG
I feel you Ben. Not a good feeling hearing such negative feedback on an exciting new purchase.

I used to be a big Leupold fan, owned nothing but. After years of wierd, unexplainable zero shifts and bizarre tracking, I started experimenting with other scopes. Scopes with better reputation for the things that matter in an aiming device- durability, RTZ, zero retention, tracking... The increase in precision and repeatability was incredible. I haven't had to re-zero a scope in years.

Im down to 3 Leupolds, and they rarely see the light of day. Never any 'serious' trips. I just don't trust them to hold up.

I am curious, what scope (or manufacturer) would you recommened in the same class?

Billy E

FNG
I have a smaller VX-5HD, the 2-10x42mm, on my Bergara Stalker 300 WM. It’s excellent. For that gun, I wanted covered turrets, no frills, sturdy scope with good optics. It delivers.

Wrongside

WKR
I am curious, what scope (or manufacturer) would you recommened in the same class?
I don't know about same class, but these days my hunting rifles all wear either a LRHS 3-12 or a SWFA SS 6x. Thousands of dialled rounds thru my oldest LRHS, and I've never lost so much as 0.1. My personal SWFA's haven't been shot as much yet, but I've been around dozens and yet to see one hiccup.

My rifle/scope setups definitely gained a little weight when I moved away from Leupold, but the increased durability and erectors that actually track over the long term is more than worth a couple extra ounces to this kid. :)

The Leupold is also on my short list. Zeiss added illumination to their V4 4-16X50mm this year. Around $1000 or maybe under depending on source. Many similar features.

Non illuminated in 44mm obj. Covered windage. Zero Stop elevation. Possibly better reticle options. I am still up in the air as well.

Have many FFP scopes. Kinda wanting to go back to SFP for bigger caliber traditional Hunting rifle work 0-500ish. Would like illumination for late season white tail rattling in the Montana rut.

What brand did you switch over to??