LEUPOLD VX-6HD 4-24X52 vs MARK 5HD 5-25X56??

Dkathman5

FNG
LEUPOLD VX-6HD 4-24X52 CDS-TZL3 SIDE FOCUS ILLUM. TMOA

Or

MARK 5HD 5-25X56 M1C3 FFP PR1-MOA​

Been looking at new scopes for my .300 Win Mag, currently have a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x50/pic rail, but wanting to utilize this on an AR, so been looking at options for a higher magnification/power scope for the .300 WIN. This is a hunting rifle setup. Want a scope that will make shooting distances of 600-900 more precise with ability for higher magnification.

Thanks in advance for any information folks can provide. Pros/cons 1 vs the other. Experience etc.

both of those scopes have significant problems holding zero. Form's testing in the long range hunting subforum wrecked 2 mk 5 hds, and there are multiple threads on long range hunting where vx6's are crapping the bed from normal use in about 60 rounds.

you're in the right price range for an ATACR 5-25, NXS 5-22, or a trijicon tenmile, all of which have proven much more reliable than the leupold offerings.

both of those scopes have significant problems holding zero. Form's testing in the long range hunting subforum wrecked 2 mk 5 hds, and there are multiple threads on long range hunting where vx6's are crapping the bed from normal use in about 60 rounds.

you're in the right price range for an ATACR 5-25, NXS 5-22, or a trijicon tenmile, all of which have proven much more reliable than the leupold offerings.

Talked to a guy that sent his NF back cause it wouldn’t track. My Leupold’s track fine.

While my VX6HD has not been "dropped" in a test, it did fall hard enough to snap the throw level screw. Somehow it still manages to put bullets where I want them to despite that and a ton of rough handling by baggage handlers, stubborn mules, general use, etc. all without having to make any adjustments. All that and it is on an 8# all-in 300 WM.

With all that said, I am done with Leupold scopes. Their damn battery covers for the illuminated reticles keep coming off. Plus their recent price increase really negates any real and/or perceived value proposition they offer over comparable offerings from Trijicon or NF.

OP
Dkathman5

Dkathman5

FNG

Thanks for the reference, good information still provided in the drop test thread.

OP
Dkathman5

Dkathman5

FNG
While my VX6HD has not been "dropped" in a test, it did fall hard enough to snap the throw level screw. Somehow it still manages to put bullets where I want them to despite that and a ton of rough handling by baggage handlers, stubborn mules, general use, etc. all without having to make any adjustments. All that and it is on an 8# all-in 300 WM.

With all that said, I am done with Leupold scopes. Their damn battery covers for the illuminated reticles keep coming off. Plus their recent price increase really negates any real and/or perceived value proposition they offer over comparable offerings from Trijicon or NF.
Thanks for the information, good to know regarding the illumatuon covers. I was also considering NF.

Thanks for the information, good to know regarding the illumatuon covers. I was also considering NF.
Leupold has been great at sending the replacement covers. But this happened on both a VX5 and VX6 and thankfully no issues from moisture (rain/sweat). But it was annoying enough (combined with their price increases) to take Leupold off my scope vendor consideration list.

mpk1996

FNG

What? not sure where you are getting that info from. I personally have two mk5 5-25. I shoot one on my 300 PRC and one has bounced around on mult PRS rifles. That scope has won so many competitions in PRS its not funny. Its been beaten up, banged around and shot without issues by tons, including me. It actually won the military contract for the PSR to sit on top of a 308, 300 Norma,, and 338 Norma.

its one of the more rugged scopes out there.

To the OP, the VX6 is a second focal plane scope. its a 34mm main tube with 52mm obj. MOA only.

the mk5 is a FFP scope with 35mm main tube and 56mm obj. its also a little heavier. its avail in MIL and MOA.

I am a MIL shooter, so id go with the mk5. I also don't really like a SFP scope for mid range wind holds. optics perform best in the "middle" so that means the middle of the mag range, middle of the scope FOV, middle of the erector travel. you get a 25x scope to shoot it at 15-18 power most of the time. id rather be there than at the max mag for a SPF scope sub tensions to be accurate. I want the hash lines to give me the same measurement at any mag. but thats how i shoot most of the time, so thats what im used to, like, and find most efficient.

If weight is a concern, take a look at the vortex razor lhr 4.5-22. that is set up like a long range hunting optic should be. good turrets, good reticle, FFP. and light at like 21oz

Macintosh

WKR
There is plenty of info here and elsewhere on leupold scopes losing zero. Personally, I have only experienced it in VX-series scopes, but so far I'm 2 for 2 at them consistently failing to hold zero with relatively light use. No more chasing a zero for me, I moved on. I have friends with Mk5hd scopes that love them for PRS and have found them reliable, but those rifles are babied compared to my hunting rifle, so I have no first-hand experience with the durability of those.

Regardless of brand, if you havent used a bunch of FFP scopes with higher magnification before, I would want to use the one I'm considering before buying it to see how the reticle works for me at low power where most of my hunting shots are taken. I know you said you wanted more precision at 600-900 yards, but I assume that this means that you still want good useability at 75 yards or 200 yards, etc. Some people arent as finicky about this, but it's a must-have for me and I have not found many ffp reticles that I would buy for hunting.
Also, if you are planning to get a reticle with hashmarks to facilitate spotting shots, ranging, for wind holds or for holdovers, I would highly recommend a FFP scope if you are going with a top-end magnification more than about 10x, in order so you dont HAVE to be at max power to use the reticle effectively.

Last edited:

mpk1996

FNG
from right where I said in my initial post: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/2x-leupold-mark-5-field-evaluations.278289/

I won't link to other forums here, but surely your able to google "VX6 4-24 broke"

LOL. so one guy? that thread has like 2 replies. hardly "significant" problems holding zero. again, i personally know dozens of guys running them one tons of rifles. like i said, i own two.

thousands upon thousands of rounds. rifles dropped, slammed into barricades, everything. I actually haven't heard of any going down. I'm sure they have. every scope brand/model has one that goes down. I can't think of one that hasn't failed on someone at somepoint. but to blanketly state "it won't hold zero" and wouldn't shoot them based on one persons failure for a mk5, not talking about the vx6. don't own one, haven't handled one, don't know anyone with one. But I do know that some of the best shooters in the country use and abuse them. if they wouldn't hold zero, they wouldn't be using them. period. and if they failed all the time on big hitting cal, the mil PSR program wouldn't have selected them over other top end scopes like the schmidt pmII (which i also own 2 of), and others. Its a great scope, and for the money, can't be beat.

Now to be honest, I like my kahles k525 dlr a lot better as the FOV is better. I like the turrets and the glass is better as well. I actually like the .25 mil marks and reticle setup of the mk5, but the skmr4 is a good reticle as well. that is all pref though, and doesn't effect the zero of the scope.

mpk1996

FNG
No idea who that is. And frankly don’t care

Just don’t like bad info being spread about stuff that actually works and has proven to work because one guy had one “fail”. Who knows, half the time that happens with a “drop test” is because of the rings/mount or other mounting issues.

I’ve also seen about every brand have a shift from a hard hit. That NF, schmidt, Kahles, vortex, tangent, ZCO. All of them. It happens with a big enough hit. Or can. And that’s my point. No brand is perfect. But for sure the leupold mk5 is a solid scope and worth a look for long range hunting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It actually won the military contract for the PSR to sit on top of a 308, 300 Norma,, and 338 Norma.

It didn’t “win” anything. The Army selected it without testing or comparing to any other scope. However, the USMC and SOCOM did actually test the scopes on for the PSR, and consequently did not choose the Mark 5.

its one of the more rugged scopes out there.

I’ve used more than a dozen. Can you please show a current picture of your rifle and Mark 5?

from right where I said in my initial post: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/2x-leupold-mark-5-field-evaluations.278289/

I won't link to other forums here, but surely your able to google "VX6 4-24 broke"
Dude let's get real and stop spreading BS about mk5s based on a problematic testing protocol.
I've spoken with serious optical experts (I'm talking guys who shoot for a living) about those drop tests and all said the methods are laughable at best.
There are too many variables any of which could cause poi shift with 3' drops.
Form doesn't address any of that, and curiosly the thread is locked after results go up.

Oh I forgot to add: The mk5s he tested were bought from Ryan Furman (I won't go into that dudes bias) who claimed his lost zero riding in a UTV..
I smell a rat

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
LOL. so one guy? that thread has like 2 replies. hardly "significant" problems holding zero. again, i personally know dozens of guys running them one tons of rifles. like i said, i own two.

thousands upon thousands of rounds. rifles dropped, slammed into barricades, everything. I actually haven't heard of any going down. I'm sure they have. every scope brand/model has one that goes down. I can't think of one that hasn't failed on someone at somepoint. but to blanketly state "it won't hold zero" and wouldn't shoot them based on one persons failure for a mk5, not talking about the vx6. don't own one, haven't handled one, don't know anyone with one. But I do know that some of the best shooters in the country use and abuse them. if they wouldn't hold zero, they wouldn't be using them. period. and if they failed all the time on big hitting cal, the mil PSR program wouldn't have selected them over other top end scopes like the schmidt pmII (which i also own 2 of), and others. Its a great scope, and for the money, can't be beat.

Now to be honest, I like my kahles k525 dlr a lot better as the FOV is better. I like the turrets and the glass is better as well. I actually like the .25 mil marks and reticle setup of the mk5, but the skmr4 is a good reticle as well. that is all pref though, and doesn't effect the zero of the scope.
Buckle up buddy.

SDHNTR

WKR
Dude let's get real and stop spreading BS about mk5s based on a problematic testing protocol.
I've spoken with serious optical experts (I'm talking guys who shoot for a living) about those drop tests and all said the methods are laughable at best.
There are too many variables any of which could cause poi shift with 3' drops.
Form doesn't address any of that, and curiosly the thread is locked after results go up.

Oh I forgot to add: The mk5s he tested were bought from Ryan Furman (I won't go into that dudes bias) who claimed his lost zero riding in a UTV..
I smell a rat
I don’t find them laughable, but rather, quite informative actually. And isn’t the end consumer (like me) what matters? Not “serious optical experts”. I surely won’t purchase another Leupold. I’ll stick with manufacturers who actually do durability testing on their optics.

Pray tell, how do said experts test a scope for durability and zero retention? I’m dying to know, because only like 3 or 4 companies actually seem to do any such testing at all.