Leupold VX-6HD not legal in Idaho

I am not sure if anyone has already posted a thread on this (I could not find one through a search) but I wanted to pass this information along in case it helps someone else as well. I was about to pull the trigger on a Leupold VX-6HD rifle scope and noticed that they have a technology they call electronic reticle level. The way this works, when activated, is that the reticle will flash when you are out of level. Reviewing the Idaho regs, any electronic technology attached to a gun or scope is not legal, with the exception of an illuminated reticle.

I called Leupold to see if there was a possibility of getting the scope without this technology and they said no. They said that removing the battery would eliminate the capability, but to get a scope without this technology I would have to go to a VX-5HD.

I called the Idaho Fish and Game enforcement office and they confirmed that this technology is not legal. I asked if removing the battery would make it legal since the technology would not work and they said it still would not be legal because it still has the technology. They said enforcement would be at the discretion of the officer. I would guess that most officers would not enforce this if there were no other violations, but I am not going to buy a scope that is in violation of the law. I am really surprised that Leupold would not offer a legal version of this.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure if anyone has already posted a thread on this (I could not find one through a search) but I wanted to pass this information along in case it helps someone else as well. I was about to pull the trigger on a Leupold VX-6HD rifle scope and noticed that they have a technology they call electronic reticle level. The way this works, when activated, is that the reticle will flash when you are out of level. Reviewing the Idaho regs, any electronic technology attached to a gun or scope is not legal, with the exception of an illuminated reticle.

I called Leupold to see if there was a possibility of getting the scope without this technology and they said no. They said that removing the battery would eliminate the capability, but to get a scope without this technology I would have to go to a VX-5HD.

I called the Idaho Fish and Game enforcement office and they confirmed that this technology is not legal. I asked if removing the battery would make it legal since the technology would not work and they said it still would not be legal because it still has the technology. They said enforcement would be at the discretion of the officer. I would guess that most officers would not enforce this if there were no other violations, but I am not going to buy a scope that is in violation of the law. I am really surprised that Leupold would not offer a legal version of this.

I suspect it depends on who you asked. Often the person answering these questions is the clerk at the front desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
Like most things until there is case law on it (maybe there is already), it can be open for discretion/interpretation. Not sure it's worth being the Guinee Pig. If I really wanted an answer I'd get a hold of someone at a higher level get them to get an answer from whoever prosecutes their cases, that way there is no question.

Holy hell. Most of my big game rifles have VX6 HD scopes on them. What a ridiculous rule that is??

J Dubaya

FNG
Its similar with the new Sig Sauer Scopes that link to the range finding binos. Whether you use the tech or not, the scope is still capable and therefore illegal by the letter of the law. With so many options available, why even take the risk of messing with something that is simply stated? Personally just not worth the risk to me..... but I am not trying to judge anyone for their own choices. There are similar laws written for bow hunting with the let off in compound bows. Not something that many people even pay attention to, and I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble over just that.

only my two pennies worth though...

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Like most things until there is case law on it (maybe there is already), it can be open for discretion/interpretation. Not sure it's worth being the Guinee Pig. If I really wanted an answer I'd get a hold of someone at a higher level get them to get an answer from whoever prosecutes their cases, that way there is no question.
One office may prosecute those cases and another may refuse charges. Agendas vary based on resources, politics, ect. Also, individual prosecutors usually have lots of discretion, so getting one prosecutor's take on that may not be a good predictor of all outcomes.

OP
uppercut11
I would guess there is a low likelihood of enforcement action, especially if you removed the battery, but where I have not purchased a scope yet I am not going to buy one that is not legal in my state. To each their own, but I wanted to share what I had found. Sounds like maybe it was already covered in another forum from one of the comments, but I couldn't find it when I looked for one.

amassi

WKR
This is False
Lighted reticles are allowed explicitly in the regulations
A scope that sends information to another device like the sig bdx is illegal as would be the old rangefinding Burris eliminator.
e86ae5b11f303d7aacb8a6090f966ebf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I wouldn't chance it. Many people think police, game wardens, etc, are too dumb to notice. I have friends in law enforcement and can tell you they are educated on whatever you think you can get away with and have literally heard every excuse. Encounter the wrong guy or gal and your day can turn bad in a hurry.

amassi

WKR
Exactly under what statute? The one I posted has an exception for battery powered illuminating reticles of which the vx6hd has. Features of such a reticle are not explicitly listed therefore they fall under the exception.
I've been stopped twice in the last 3 years with a vx6hd in idaho and never once asked to inspect the scope.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly under what statute? The one I posted has an exception for battery powered illuminating reticles of which the vx6hd has. Features of such a reticle are not explicitly listed therefore they fall under the exception.
I've been stopped twice in the last 3 years with a vx6hd in idaho and never once asked to inspect the scope.

Anything not noted in the expectation is illegal. So a lighted reticle is legal as noted and any other electronic devices are illegal. The tilt indicator is not part of the reticle and is not legal in Idaho.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Anything not noted in the expectation is illegal. So a lighted reticle is legal as noted and any other electronic devices are illegal. The tilt indicator is not part of the reticle and is not legal in Idaho.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
It is part of the illuminated reticle

Fire_9

WKR
Why not just order the vx 5 and be done with it? As far as I understand, it’s pretty much the same scope minus the level in the reticle. Add a bubble level, put the extra few hundred bucks in your pocket, and call it a day

kodiak17

FNG
I always found it best to go ask the guys that do the enforcement. You can get answers from the office but you generally get the right answers from the guys in the field. Seems like if the battery was taken out it would not be capable of illumination.

Haney

FNG
Everyone can be brave behind a keyboard , no fines or confiscation worries . I would listen to the person you talked to on the phone , not worth worrying about getting busted .

OP
uppercut11
Talked to someone today who has asked 2 enforcement officers in the field. One said it was absolutely illegal and the other said it was fine. Personally I plan to go with the VX-5HD.... or maybe look at the nightforce.