Leupold VX Freedom CDS vs VX3i CDS

Hunthigh1

WKR
As the title states. I am considering purchasing a CDS scope from leupold. This will be for all around hunting purposes and will replace a 10 year old Nikon Prostaff. 3-9X40. Mounted on a mossberg 30.06. I want to practice and become proficient on targets to 500-600 yards and eventually work up to where i can confidently shoot game to 400YDS. Currently my max range is 300yds on game.

The cds is very appealing for the quick range dial and would increase my confidence beyond 280 yards. . . I do not see the need to spend the extra money on the VX3i. . .I know the VX Freedom should be a good improvement over my current nikon prostaff. . .

What are the primary differences between the 3-9X40 VX Freedom and the 3.5-10X40 VX3i? My understanding is that the VX3i is simply better and brighter glass. . . am i missing something here? Thank you.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
I would also love to know if other companies have similar options that i should consider.

SDHNTR

WKR
Good luck with this. What you’ll find is most are of the opinion the CDS system on those scopes is woefully inadequate. Poor tracking, and inability to hold and return to zero.

It’s a shame too, as those scopes fill an important niche in the lightweight, mid range scope market.

IDMONK

FNG
I e had great success with my VX-3i CDS scopes. They track well and always return to zero. A night force they are not. But they do as advertised.

IDMONK consider your self lucky. Leupold's lack of reliable tracking turrets is well documented especially in their lower tier scopes. For what OP is wanting to do a SWFA 3-9 or even a fixed 6X SWFA would be a home run purchase. Glass would be equal to the VX3 and the turrets would be rock solid and it will for sure track reliably. You can easily use a piece of tape to turn the swfa turret into a cds style turret by just marking yardage on the tape instead of using the mil or moa marks on the standard turret.

IDMONK

FNG
Considering the untold thousands of happy customers using the CDS system I don’t think My experience is unusual. Again a Nightforce it is not but it does very well for a general hunting scope that the OP asked about. For a 4-500 yd shots heck yeah it works and returns to zero no problem. I have several of these VX3i scopes and they all track great for me.

BCD

WKR
Considering the untold thousands of happy customers using the CDS system I don’t think My experience is unusual. Again a Nightforce it is not but it does very well for a general hunting scope that the OP asked about. For a 4-500 yd shots heck yeah it works and returns to zero no problem. I have several of these VX3i scopes and they all track great for me.
If you do some research there is a definite pattern of these scopes being unreliable in regard to tracking and return to zero.

IDMONK

FNG
Again they are not a nightforce. Since they have gone to a dual erector system reliability has been greatly improved. I’ve had great luck. A few weeks ago hunting coyotes I had one hang up at 520yds, I dialed him up and killed him dead. Put my CDS back to zero and killed another one later that day at 75yds. It works for me.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Thanks for the replies. The CDS seems wonderfully simple. However I now see the forum discussions elsewhere regarding leupold dial and zero reset unreliability....I took a look at the SWFA scopes the 3-9 is a 30mm tube with a tactical retical that I don’t really care for. I wish they made a more standard type reticle on that scope. . .

Any other companies to consider for a simple dial in scope in 3-9x40mm that doesn’t cost much more than a VX3i?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Man, I have gone on and on about how exactly what you are looking for is missing in the marketplace. A lot of people tell me that there isn’t enough demand for scopes like this, and that everybody wants a big heavy 30 mil, tactical bazooka scope. Yet threads like this pop up dang near daily! Optics manufacturers simply aren’t listening, I’m convinced!

Until someone else figures it out, I’ve come to the conclusion that your best bet is probably a Meopta Meopro 3-9-42 with a custom turret from Kenton Industries. Yes, it’s an extra step or two, but you’ll end up with exactly what you describe, in a scope that is reliable.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Man, I have gone on and on about how exactly what you are looking for is missing in the marketplace. A lot of people tell me that there isn’t enough demand for scopes like this, and that everybody wants a big heavy 30 mil, tactical bazooka scope. Yet threads like this pop up dang near daily! Optics manufacturers simply aren’t listening, I’m convinced!

Until someone else figures it out, I’ve come to the conclusion that your best bet is probably a Meopta Meopro 3-9-42 with a custom turret from Kenton Industries. Yes, it’s an extra step or two, but you’ll end up with exactly what you describe, in a scope that is reliable.

No kidding man. I just want compact, simple, able to dial to yardage, and durable for everyday carry in the mountains. (3-9X40). I don’t want a 4x or higher because I carry the gun in griz country at times and 4x is just too much for a close encounter. I am a huge meopta fan since I’ve owned the meostar 10X42 binos. I’ll check out the Kenton industries turrets. There is no surprise to me the leupold CDS is so popular. It seems a very compact and attractive package for an everyday hunting rifle. It is still on my list of considerations for sure.

SDHNTR

WKR
No kidding man. I just want compact, simple, able to dial to yardage, and durable for everyday carry in the mountains. (3-9X40). I don’t want a 4x or higher because I carry the gun in griz country at times and 4x is just too much for a close encounter. I am a huge meopta fan since I’ve owned the meostar 10X42 binos. I’ll check out the Kenton industries turrets. There is no surprise to me the leupold CDS is so popular. It seems a very compact and attractive package for an everyday hunting rifle. It is still on my list of considerations for sure.

The Meopro is twice the scope of a VX3 and not much more money. It’s my scope of choice for exactly what you describe. A basic, mid range scope for practical hunting that is compact, has a simple reticle, and doesn’t weigh 24 freaking ounces, yet is ultimately reliable and durable!

I'll second the Meopro. I have one of the Cameraland specials in 3.5-10x44 and really like it. I really only have 2 grips with it. I don't like the big ocular ring, as it makes it difficult to fit with flip covers. And I think the center of the cross hair is a little too far from the post/point where the retical widens, making that point useless as an elevation point to me. I've thought about getting the Kenton turret on it but have not yet.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
How bulky is the Kenton turret? Any concern with bumping it in the field? What would be the potential drawbacks of a Kenton turret? Other than changing rounds or environmentals? Think I’m going to call them today.

SDHNTR

WKR
The Kenton turret is not bulky at all. I Think They make a low profile one too. In my opinion, the odds of it rotating when you don’t want it to are slim. But it’s something to be mindful of. It’s not a big deal to just take a glance at it every so often to make sure it’s zero’d.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Awesome. I suppose if I was super worried about it in a specific situation i could always tape it. I called them and they only have the meopro available with a BDC reticle at the moment. They are looking into getting a 3-9X40 scope with a standard “ZPLEX” reticle for sale to me....

Seems silly to me that someone would want a bdc reticle on a custom turret scope. Maybe most folks are not putting a turret on a small scope like this and they are just buying as is.

SDHNTR

WKR
Awesome. I suppose if I was super worried about it in a specific situation i could always tape it. I called them and they only have the meopro available with a BDC reticle at the moment. They are looking into getting a 3-9X40 scope with a standard “ZPLEX” reticle for sale to me....

Seems silly to me that someone would want a bdc reticle on a custom turret scope. Maybe most folks are not putting a turret on a small scope like this and they are just buying as is.

Agreed a BDC reticle and a turret is redundant. Buy the scope with a Z plex reticle from Cameraland. Then buy the turret separately.

Bkottke35

WKR
I don’t know. I have several Leupold’s with the CDS. Although I don’t shoot and test them daily they have always worked for me. I know that’s not everyone’s experience but nor are the “issues” that some people are experiencing. Vx6, two VX5, a VXR and two VX3I with no issues. Not a large test group but I can’t complain.

fatbacks

WKR
Everyone bags on Leupold all the time but I have a pile of them and they all work great. Are they a Nightforce? Not at all but for what it sounds like you’re looking for, the CDS would be awesome.

I have a VX3i 2.5-8 on my sheep rifle and kept the Moa dial on there. Killed two grizzly bears and two sheep over the past few years and carried it probably about 400 miles on foot cumulatively through the mountains. Returned to zero every time and dials reliably. I’m not going to shoot a PRS match with it, but for game under 500 yds its a fantastic solution.

204guy

WKR
I can't understand the it's not a Nightforce comments. Scopes either work or they dont, period. If it tracks or rtz most of the time, it doesn't work. If you think you have to tap on a turret to settle it, it doesn't work. If you have too... well you get the point. Unless we're talking about about incredibly high rates of failure, then I get it the it's not a Nightforce comments.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk