Leupold VX Freedom CDS vs VX3i CDS

I can't understand the it's not a Nightforce comments. Scopes either work or they dont, period. If it tracks or rtz most of the time, it doesn't work. If you think you have to tap on a turret to settle it, it doesn't work. If you have too... well you get the point. Unless we're talking about about incredibly high rates of failure, then I get it the it's not a Nightforce comments.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Exactly. It amazes me the folks that will pay their hard earned money and be satisfied with something that only works “most” of the time. If I’m going to pay my money for a scope I want to know I can count on it to do what a scope is intended to do. If you can’t depend on it to track to 1000 then you can’t depend on it to track to 500. Either a scope tracks reliably or it doesn’t. Period. It either holds zero or it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
It seems to me that the meopro is more likely to “work” every time after reading all the badmouths on other forums about Leupold not resetting to zero. Yes this is just hearsay, but it seems too common to not be somewhat of a recurring issue. It’s a shame because I do always try to buy American made and I’ve had success with old school Leupolds. As mentioned earlier I’m honestly pretty biased toward meopta after packing their excellent binos for a few seasons .

It seems to me that the price will end up being pretty close
Im seeing ~ $425 for the Leupold vx3i
And ~$500 for the meopta.

If I can get the meopta with a zplex reticle through Kenton they will include a turret. I’ll post their response after they get back to me.

Buzby

WKR
I can't understand the it's not a Nightforce comments. Scopes either work or they dont, period. If it tracks or rtz most of the time, it doesn't work. If you think you have to tap on a turret to settle it, it doesn't work. If you have too... well you get the point. Unless we're talking about about incredibly high rates of failure, then I get it the it's not a Nightforce comments.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I think the “it’s not a Nightforce” comments, are about price as well. Yes, one should expect products to work. But I wouldn’t expect a $50 tasco to track like a $3000 Nightforce. Nor would I expect a $200 leupold with capped turrets to track as well as a $3000 Nightforce.

Last edited:

fatbacks

WKR
I think the “it’s not a Nightforce” comments, are about price as well. Yes, one should expect products to work. But I woundnt expect a $50 tacos to track like a $3000 Nightforce. Nor would I expect a $200 leupold with capped turrets to track as well as a $3000 Nightforce.

Exactly. Not as binary as some others make it seem.

It is all about the amount of precision you want to pay for. If I have 1” error in dialing with my Leupold at 450 yds on a caribou no big deal, the vitals are pretty big and that’s a dead critter. That scope ain’t broken it’s just not as accurate as my Zeiss’s or Nightforce scopes. Just for the record every CDS scope I’ve owned has been dead on for dialing.

An analogy might be that I use an RCBS Chargmaster Lite for loading my hunting bullets. If I was going to compete seriously on the PRS circuit I would pony up and buy a FX-120. More accurate measuring.

I believe the lightweight Leupold scopes would work well for a lot of folks on here for hunting purposes. Better/different options out there? For sure but you’ll be paying more or sacrificing optical clarity.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the response fatbacks

Dan2061

FNG
If your not looking to spend crazy amounts of money, the freedom scopes are pretty good regarding glass clarity and their price in my experience and i own every class of leupold. The major difference are upgraded turrets. I have never had any issues, but i do not consistently shoot long range either.