Leupold VX-Freedom Tri-MOA thoughts

I wanted to share my thoughts on the VX-Freedom 3-9x40 with the "Tri-MOA" reticle very quickly here...

I've been looking for the right scope to top my Savage Lightweight Storm in 7mm-08, which much to my surprise (due to the pencil-thin barrel) has proven to be one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Initially I wanted to keep it ultralight so I chose a 2-7x33 Leupold with the LR duplex reticle - a reticle I've liked in the past. However the optical quality just wasn't what I had hoped for, and in real world situations, I wanted more than 7x, because frankly, the rifle is up to the task of shooting beyond 400 yards.

So the next scope I tried was the 2.5-10x32 SWFA Ultralight. I figured I had found "my scope" for the rifle - until I took it to Colorado. In the field and on the range, I was disappointed with the optics at anything above 8x. The lack of eye relief wasn't an issue for me, and the tracking was great. But the optical quality above 7-8x was no better than the VX-1 2-7x33 I had replaced.

But third time is a charm I guess, and I came across a great deal on a scope I've been curious about for a while - the VX-Freedom 3-9x40 with the Tri-MOA reticle. Once I got it mounted, I could easily see this was a good choice. Optics are superb for such an affordable scope. I mean really, really good all the way up to 9x. And I like the reticle even more than I expected. It's very clear and sharp and easy to use.

1st trip to the range and I had the scope dialed in, in two shots. Yes, just two shots. 1st one on paper after bore sighting, then I made my correction with the dials and aimed at the hole from the first shot. BAM! I nearly hit the hole. That's pretty good tracking for a "budget" Leupold. I ran through about 15 more rounds from three different hand loads, and made my final adjustment for my preferred load - 131 Hammer Hunters over Varget, traveling 2985 fps. I dialed that in to 200 yards, then fired my last shot at 300 yards using 2 MOA of holdover. The shot landed dead center.

At no time did I wish for better optics, but that was the range and the real world on brown hair at twilight can be a fickle beast. So I'll report back after a few critters fall to this combo. But for now, I think I've found "my" scope. I'm quite impressed. If you are looking for a good quality scope with good optics and you prefer holdovers in MOA, this could be the one for you. At only 12.2 oz., it's still a very lightweight scope and a great deal for the money IMO.

I’m on a very similar quest for a lightweight scope that I can use holdovers out to 400+. Thanks for the review, it seems like this is close to perfect. If only they made a 2-7x33 with 100 yard parallax...

Have one also love it, for the money you can't beat it. I've recommended it to many people looking for a lower price scope.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

dla

WKR
I wanted to share my thoughts on the VX-Freedom 3-9x40 with the "Tri-MOA" reticle very quickly here...

I've been looking for the right scope to top my Savage Lightweight Storm in 7mm-08, which much to my surprise (due to the pencil-thin barrel) has proven to be one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Initially I wanted to keep it ultralight so I chose a 2-7x33 Leupold with the LR duplex reticle - a reticle I've liked in the past. However the optical quality just wasn't what I had hoped for, and in real world situations, I wanted more than 7x, because frankly, the rifle is up to the task of shooting beyond 400 yards.

So the next scope I tried was the 2.5-10x32 SWFA Ultralight. I figured I had found "my scope" for the rifle - until I took it to Colorado. In the field and on the range, I was disappointed with the optics at anything above 8x. The lack of eye relief wasn't an issue for me, and the tracking was great. But the optical quality above 7-8x was no better than the VX-1 2-7x33 I had replaced.

But third time is a charm I guess, and I came across a great deal on a scope I've been curious about for a while - the VX-Freedom 3-9x40 with the Tri-MOA reticle. Once I got it mounted, I could easily see this was a good choice. Optics are superb for such an affordable scope. I mean really, really good all the way up to 9x. And I like the reticle even more than I expected. It's very clear and sharp and easy to use.

1st trip to the range and I had the scope dialed in, in two shots. Yes, just two shots. 1st one on paper after bore sighting, then I made my correction with the dials and aimed at the hole from the first shot. BAM! I nearly hit the hole. That's pretty good tracking for a "budget" Leupold. I ran through about 15 more rounds from three different hand loads, and made my final adjustment for my preferred load - 131 Hammer Hunters over Varget, traveling 2985 fps. I dialed that in to 200 yards, then fired my last shot at 300 yards using 2 MOA of holdover. The shot landed dead center.

At no time did I wish for better optics, but that was the range and the real world on brown hair at twilight can be a fickle beast. So I'll report back after a few critters fall to this combo. But for now, I think I've found "my" scope. I'm quite impressed. If you are looking for a good quality scope with good optics and you prefer holdovers in MOA, this could be the one for you. At only 12.2 oz., it's still a very lightweight scope and a great deal for the money IMO.
I just bought the 3x9x40 tri moa and am excited to mount it and play with it. Took forever to find one.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
That VX-Freedom Tri-MOA just got promoted to my '06 elk rifle. I needed a bit more eye relief for the lightweight kicker, and that rifle has proven it's 600-yard worthy, so that reticle will fit the bill.

At the range today, I just marveled at how sharp and clear it was at 300 yards. Unreal for a scope that affordable.

VX Freedom glass is excellent for the price point and serviceable right until legal ends. No it’s not as bright as a VX5HD in low light, but I could still take an ethical shot well after sunset with VX Freedom glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That VX-Freedom Tri-MOA just got promoted to my '06 elk rifle. I needed a bit more eye relief for the lightweight kicker, and that rifle has proven it's 600-yard worthy, so that reticle will fit the bill.

At the range today, I just marveled at how sharp and clear it was at 300 yards. Unreal for a

At the range today, I just marveled at how sharp and clear it was at 300 yards. Unreal for a scope that affordable.
I ended up snagging an open box model from camera land. Looking forward to putting it through the paces. Hopefully it is durable enough and holds zero unlike a lot of Leopolds out there. I’ll be putting it through the paces shortly

I got the vx freedom 4-12x42 for my savage ultralite in 6.5cm. I love the scope for the money they are, has a very clean and simple bdc reticle, so when I have time I can dial in the aiming points. That’s exactly what I was looking for, and got lucky to find it before buying something else.
I’m not a huge fan of leupold cds scopes, but like their holdover reticles

I'm looking to replace an old M8 fixed 6 with a holdover reticle scope that has a little more magnification. I also have VX3i for reference. Is the glass on the Freedom going to be comparable to these?

OP
Newtosavage
I'm looking to replace an old M8 fixed 6 with a holdover reticle scope that has a little more magnification. I also have VX3i for reference. Is the glass on the Freedom going to be comparable to these?
In my experience, yes. Some might argue that the VX-3i has better glass and it probably does. But what I can tell you is the image my VX-Freedom Tri-MOA offers is just spectacular, and I've looked through my share (and owned a few) of VX3i's. It would be splitting hairs at best.

The VX3i's are probably a bit better built and surely have better adjustment dials. The one weakness of the VX-Freedoms is the same that the VX-1's had - the adjustment dials are mushy and not precise at all. If that bothers you, pay the upcharge for the VX-3i. But I don't think they offer it in a Tri-MOA reticle.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Freedom 3-9 with the tri moa reticle on a .308 for the last two seasons. So far it's held up really well, holds zero just fine. I really like that reticle, easy to use and it gets me to 500 yards no problem.

BCD

WKR
Wish they did. They just discontinued the non cds model but they still make the cds version all though it’s out of stock and no eta for new ones.
I saw that they had a CDS model but I really want to stay away from them. I see they had a similar model in Mils (TMR Reticle) but only see that in CDS as well unfortunately.

I'm confused on the newer leupold line names.
What would the freedom line be equal to a VX2?

Last I remember they had vx1-vx2 or 3
Then didn't they come out with another one that had a name prior to Freedom and it was basically a vx1?