Leupold VX3 HD without tracking issues?

Buzby

WKR
If you are only going to dial once in a blue moon and are willing to gamble that it won’t lead to a lost or wounded animal that’s one thing. If you are going to dial regularly buy a scope that’s proven to dial with consistency and doesn’t have dozens of many page threads on multiple forums describing tracking failures. That’s my take anyway
What scopes do you recommend that are proven to dial with consistency?

Buzby

WKR
Anything else!.....grin. Seriously though, there’s a lot of options depending on whether you want First or Second Focal plane and what mag range your interested in.
Something comparable to a vx5 2-10x42, or vx6 2-12x42

There has been no info released to indicate that the VX3 HD is anything different than the Vx3’s before it , in mechanicals. They changed a few cosmetics and did something with the glass. As a set it and forget it scope it would be fine, but to think that its ability to dial with accuracy and repetition has improved would be a huge leap. I can’t count the number of Leupolds I have sent back for erector rebuilds. It’s what keeps me from running one on anything I intend to dial with.
They have new erectors. I run several VX5HDs and VX6HDs. Fly all over the country with them, regularly dial them out to 1250 and back to my 100 yard zero - never had a problem with them. The glass on the HDs are phenomenal. Guys go buy a $400 VX2 or 3, put a CDS on them and get pissed because they don’t track like a $3000 nightforce...eye roll.

Also important to note - because leupold makes scopes at about every price point, they probably sell a 1000 times for scopes than nightforce or TT etc. its a numbers game, i bet the same percentage of nightforce scopes have problems as leupolds higher end stuff.

So many Leupold haters on the internet...SMH. I didn’t own a Leupold prior to my first VX5HD maybe I was lucky? I just can’t help but feel like they stepped up their game with the 5 and 6 hds. Plus, I am always looking to buy American Made if I can. Kudos to Leupold for sticking around and not selling out and for putting out some competitive products.

TexasCub

WKR
They have new erectors. I run several VX5HDs and VX6HDs. Fly all over the country with them, regularly dial them out to 1250 and back to my 100 yard zero - never had a problem with them. The glass on the HDs are phenomenal. Guys go buy a $400 VX2 or 3, put a CDS on them and get pissed because they don’t track like a $3000 nightforce...eye roll.

Also important to note - because leupold makes scopes at about every price point, they probably sell a 1000 times for scopes than nightforce or TT etc. its a numbers game, i bet the same percentage of nightforce scopes have problems as leupolds higher end stuff.

So you are blaming the customer for buying a product that Leupold puts out with the understanding that said product will work as advertised? I’ve been through unknown numbers of VX3 scopes and they all failed when it comes to dialing. I also bought a Vx6 and found out it had a plastic turret, no thanks. People like myself are not Leupold haters , we’re just simply disappointed in Leupold products that we put a great deal of confidence in. If you think your Vx5 is rock solid......just what until it isn’t, there are plenty of VX5’s that have been back for erector repairs. You say that the VX3 HD has an improved erector...........prove it!

So you are blaming the customer for buying a product that Leupold puts out with the understanding that said product will work as advertised? I’ve been through unknown numbers of VX3 scopes and they all failed when it comes to dialing. I also bought a Vx6 and found out it had a plastic turret, no thanks. People like myself are not Leupold haters , we’re just simply disappointed in Leupold products that we put a great deal of confidence in. If you think your Vx5 is rock solid......just what until it isn’t, there are plenty of VX5’s that have been back for erector repairs. You say that the VX3 HD has an improved erector...........prove it!
My buddies nightforce ATACR crapped out on him during a once in a lifetime moose hunt...you are a leupold hater. Have you had a VX5HD that went back for bad erectors or you just read about it on the internet?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
As a person who had a vx3 leupold fail on a 223 I can say I'd be leery. I still own another vx3 and it lives on a backup rifle. For a tiny bit more you can get a zeiss v4 and not have to question if the scope is going to fail.

Does anyone here have the VX3i CDS? This is what I ordered, waiting for it to come along in the mail. Curious if anyone owns this particular scope?

Twobeers

FNG
No problem on a new VX3 HD 4.5x14 CDS for me. 100-500 and back with no issue. Hit where it was supposed to hit. Rifle is a Tikka T3x super lite in .30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone here have the VX3i CDS? This is what I ordered, waiting for it to come along in the mail. Curious if anyone owns this particular scope?
I have 3. One on my 6.5cm one on my 28 nosler and one on my .223

I’ve done a lot of dialing on my first one (the CM) on both steel and antelope.

I had no dialing issues on a few critters with the 28 but I haven’t spent a ton of time behind that gun to say it’s tracking 100% but it appears to be. I am upgrading this gun to a vx5hd

my 223 hasn’t been shot since I mounted that scope so I can’t speak to if I have 100% success or not.
I will say this forum is making me nervous about risking even upgrading to a vx5hd. I love the concept of the CDs and inside 5-600 I feel like it’s plenty adequate and I have no intention of hunting past about 550.

Bluto

WKR
Sub’d. It’s scope buying time and this forum has me waffling a bit but for two things...

I can’t buy the coveted SWFA right now anyway, so it’s off the table. And if Leupold is so terrible, why did the Army just tag another contract with the Mark series to put on rifles? (No, I can’t buy the mil spec version. But if the brand reliability was so poor they wouldn’t be in consideration.)

Sub’d. It’s scope buying time and this forum has me waffling a bit but for two things...

I can’t buy the coveted SWFA right now anyway, so it’s off the table. And if Leupold is so terrible, why did the Army just tag another contract with the Mark series to put on rifles? (No, I can’t buy the mil spec version. But if the brand reliability was so poor they wouldn’t be in consideration.)
Exactly. Leupold has been my most reliable scopes over the years and my vx-5HD has been remarkable. Id love to get a mark series scope some day. Leupold is definitely way better than vortex when comparing apples to apples as far as light transmission and tracking/turrets.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Bluto

WKR
I just bought a new in box swfa off ebay.

Do you see threads questioning nightforce tracking or swfa for that matter?
I’ve looked every day, more than once per day, here/eBay/sample list and have yet to see one. Doesn’t mean you didn’t buy one, but they are effectively unavailable and indefinitely back ordered. Hell, to be honest most Leupold stuff isn’t available most of the time either. Yet to seriously attempt NF, I haven’t gotten my mil program pricing yet.

As I said, I’d be more than happy to try one out. Would have already ordered one if I could get a 3-9 MQ. have nothing to refute its reliability or quality. I’m on the edge of it being a decision because it’s almost beyond my needs, that’s all.

National security not being at stake, I don’t shoot at animals beyond 400yds and I have no interest in bench or competitive shooting. I just find it hard to believe that no brand other than SWFA makes a scope I can hunt with out to 400 yards with a 308. (Understanding that beyond roughly 300 yards, dialing elevation is inarguably more precise.)

And no, I haven’t seen many threads on SWFA or NF tracking issues. I also haven’t seen many threads regarding SFWA’s new 2021 Army sniper system contract. 😉

I’m not mad about it, other than the frustration of yet another product “shortage.” I also have interest in the NXS 2.5-10x42 compact. I just don’t know much about them.