Leupold VX3 HD without tracking issues?

406Smith

I just bought a new in box swfa off ebay.

Do you see threads questioning nightforce tracking or swfa for that matter?
The vast majority of folks buying $400 super snipers or budget SHVs are not properly checking tracking. They just regurgitate marketing materials and what others say on the internet. Similarly, lots of guys mistakenly blame brand X or Y for “failing” without anything to back it up.

Although serviceable, the flagship SWFA 5-20 HD that I used for about a year did not track 100%. Similarly, my ATACR did not track 100%. My Mark 5, (2) Gen 2 Razors, and AMG tracked 100%. I’ve had many others track 100% as well, but seems like Leupold and Vortex are whipping boys on this forum, even though it’s pretty ridiculous to discuss brands instead of specific scope models.

wapitibob

My Leupold experience wasn't a good one; it doesn't take much to see a 2' shift and you tend to get upset when you're on an Antelope hunt 1,000 miles from home. They did fix it, but when it did it again at the range I was done. When we started making nightforce parts I went that route and it has been a pleasant experience. In the last weeks I've decided to go lighter and will try the swfa. If it doesn't work, I'll say so. Against my better judgement, the new vx3 hd was a 2nd choice. I'll go that route if the swfa craps out.

Bluto

I can’t think of anything that would make me more upset at a scope than what you describe.

As you mention your next scopes, any consideration to the Mark 3HD? I’m wondering if reliability is better in the Mark line overall, especially for someone like me who would seldom dial with a max range of 400.

wapitibob

The weight of the vx3 is what peaked my interest 13oz, the Mark and swfa were basically the same weight 20oz. My nightforce was 33oz.

TonySkyline

I didn't know a mark 3hd existed. What is price point on that?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

TonySkyline

I didn't know a mark 3hd existed. What is price point on that?

NM. Just looked it up. They have a nice lpvo but only 1.5-4x. Not smart. Shouldve made a 1-6 or even a 1-10, . The rest with higher mag look just like the regular vx3hd though. Not much tactical about them like the other mark series

aaronk

I got a bunch of first hand testing to show on a VX-3i LRP. Where do I start...

Here's a ladder test that I did when I thought something was a miss. It tracked true through 2 mils and started climbing fast after that. I sent it to Leupold after doing this test and they sent it back saying it was within spec.
IMG_4820.jpg

Then I take a different gun/scope/ammo combo which I know is 100% solid and I do a comparison - I shoot a small 2 mil ladder test with the scope I know is good and then I swap scopes on the gun and shoot the same test with the VX-3i LRP. This is 3 shots on the way up and 3 shots on the way down, not 2 shots and dial. Here's what we get...

Known good setup:
IMG_7876.JPG

Same gun and ammo only I've got the VX-3i on it now:
IMG_7847.jpg

Then for kicks I shot a group with the known good scope and a group with the VX-3i LRP - again same gun and ammo between these test groups, the only difference is the scope. I'm sure you can guess which was the VX-3i LRP at this point.
IMG_7844.jpg

Leupold ends up replacing the scope at this point and I sold it. Too much wasted time and ammo, and I didn't want to do the same again on the replacement. That's my story, first hand, with pictures. I do believe Leupold makes a solid scope, everyone has bad ones slip by, but if I ever gave Leupold another try, it'd be a Mark 5 or nothing for me. And for those curious - it took 6 weeks to get my scope back the first time I sent it in...

menhaden_man

Does anyone here have the VX3i CDS? This is what I ordered, waiting for it to come along in the mail. Curious if anyone owns this particular scope?
I’ve got one on a 7 RM been great so far... but I haven’t poured frozen sand on it and tossed it in a lawn before shooting 20 round groups so it’s definitely questionable 🤣.

Lemme know if you have specifics would be glad to help. I’ve got maybe 150 rounds over the last two months with it. Sounds like you’ve already pulled the trigger?

Bluto

NM. Just looked it up. They have a nice lpvo but only 1.5-4x. Not smart. Shouldve made a 1-6 or even a 1-10, . The rest with higher mag look just like the regular vx3hd though. Not much tactical about them like the other mark series

Took me a while to track down Leupold’s take on what exactly is different. Sounds like they make no bones about it, it’s very similar to the VX HD series. (I didn’t look through the LVPO offerings, wasn’t on the radar.)

30mm tube, Mark series “beefiness” (assumed by me,) and the reticle offerings being the biggest stated difference. I didn’t realize until today this was supposed to be a “tactical” line. I was just looking for a mil reticle option and a 3-9’ish scope.

JFK

Checking back in on this thread. Anyone have any solid experience with the newer vx3 HD’s yet?

OP
J

Jbone62

Checking back in on this thread. Anyone have any solid experience with the newer vx3 HD’s yet?
+1 to this. I have yet to see any positive or negative reviews that don’t seem like they were paid for.

ChrisAU

I put a 1.5-5x20 on my Kimber 358 Win, like it so far. Zero'd it with no fuss. I got it because I had a FX-II 2.5-20 on it but wanted the lower base mag for the woods and higher mag for the range. For kicks I put in an order for a custom CDS after I chrono'd it lol. This is my 5.25 lb loaded & scoped 16" 358. Will work the CDS to 500 and back in a few weeks just for gits and shiggles. Actually pleasantly suprised by the feel of the turrets, they beat the snot out of every VX-anything I've ever had, including VX-5HD and VX-6HD as far as click "feel" which arbitrarily gives me some confidence. This scope will never, ever be dialed for shots on game. Got it for Leupold science. If the CDS dials reliably on a 5.25 lb 358 Win then I think I'd be able to vouch for this particular one. The 1.5-5 has long been a favorite of African dangerous game hunters though (from what I've read), so it may have traits that don't carry over to other models.

OP
J

Jbone62

I put a 1.5-5x20 on my Kimber 358 Win, like it so far. Zero'd it with no fuss. I got it because I had a FX-II 2.5-20 on it but wanted the lower base mag for the woods and higher mag for the range. For kicks I put in an order for a custom CDS after I chrono'd it lol. This is my 5.25 lb loaded & scoped 16" 358. Will work the CDS to 500 and back in a few weeks just for gits and shiggles. Actually pleasantly suprised by the feel of the turrets, they beat the snot out of every VX-anything I've ever had, including VX-5HD and VX-6HD as far as click "feel" which arbitrarily gives me some confidence. This scope will never, ever be dialed for shots on game. Got it for Leupold science. If the CDS dials reliably on a 5.25 lb 358 Win then I think I'd be able to vouch for this particular one. The 1.5-5 has long been a favorite of African dangerous game hunters though (from what I've read), so it may have traits that don't carry over to other models.
Excited to hear how it goes for you! Keep us posted!!