Leupold VX3 HD without tracking issues?

Jbone62

FNG
Has anyone tried out the newest version of the vx3? If yes would you happen to know if they fixed their tracking issues that seemed to be all over the forums?

I love the idea of the CDS but not so much if it doesn’t track properly. I withheld buying a vx3i simply because I was reading no shortage of incriminating reviews.

toddh

FNG
The tracking issues have been resolved. I have a VX5 and had zero issues with it.

Todd if the tracking issues have been resolved does that mean they have changed their erector system and finally got rid of leaf springs for coil springs? If so I have seen on press or news on that ?

I love leupolds for set and forget, i personally have had tracking issues with two dialing models, one cds VX6 and a vx3i cds. Both went back and were returned with the mysterious erector system replaced note. I just sold them.

I am not alone by any means, if dialing look at the many posts here, by something else imho.

spence

My advice: pass on any scope until after it has a full hunting season behind it. Things can look great for a few weeks at the range but may not be great after a weeks in the fields.

Also take whatever is said on the Internet with a serious grain of salt; lime wedge and shot of tequila are optional. If I took the "experts" words as gospel:
* My Razor LHs should have failed a long time ago. They were never meant to dial. Somehow the three that I have, purchased over a period of time, are still going strong. This is with a lot of field time, airplane rides, and dialing. One of them gets dialed at least 50 times a month (so over 1800 dialings over the past 3 years).
* My VX6HD would have had two deaths. First, it is so "poorly built" that it would have died the moment it hit AK airspace. Second, it would not have been able to be dialed reliably. Yet years later it is still going strong with no issues. This is despite it being used in some tough conditions, being banged around, airplane rides, dialed repeatedly, etc.
* My two VX5HDs would have stopped working reliably right away. One is on a hunting rifle and the other is on a practice rifle. Lots of time in the field, airplane rides, cross country road trips, and even more time at the range being dialed. Somehow they keep working without issue.

Don't know why my scopes mentioned above work as they should despite what the "experts" say. Maybe I am just lucky.

OP
J

Jbone62

FNG
My advice: pass on any scope until after it has a full hunting season behind it. Things can look great for a few weeks at the range but may not be great after a weeks in the fields.

Also take whatever is said on the Internet with a serious grain of salt; lime wedge and shot of tequila are optional. If I took the "experts" words as gospel:
* My Razor LHs should have failed a long time ago. They were never meant to dial. Somehow the three that I have, purchased over a period of time, are still going strong. This is with a lot of field time, airplane rides, and dialing. One of them gets dialed at least 50 times a month (so over 1800 dialings over the past 3 years).
* My VX6HD would have had two deaths. First, it is so "poorly built" that it would have died the moment it hit AK airspace. Second, it would not have been able to be dialed reliably. Yet years later it is still going strong with no issues. This is despite it being used in some tough conditions, being banged around, airplane rides, dialed repeatedly, etc.
* My two VX5HDs would have stopped working reliably right away. One is on a hunting rifle and the other is on a practice rifle. Lots of time in the field, airplane rides, cross country road trips, and even more time at the range being dialed. Somehow they keep working without issue.

Don't know why my scopes mentioned above work as they should despite what the "experts" say. Maybe I am just lucky.
Now there is some expert advice!!

Wapiti1

WKR
Todd if the tracking issues have been resolved does that mean they have changed their erector system and finally got rid of leaf springs for coil springs? If so I have seen on press or news on that ?

I love leupolds for set and forget, i personally have had tracking issues with two dialing models, one cds VX6 and a vx3i cds. Both went back and were returned with the mysterious erector system replaced note. I just sold them.

I am not alone by any means, if dialing look at the many posts here, by something else imho.

spence
What's wrong with leaf springs? Nightforce uses leaf springs made of titanium in all NXS scopes (not sure on the other lines, but I imagine they all have leaf springs). Other high end makes also do. Leupold does. Are coil springs inherently better? Why? hint: they aren't and present issues in scope design like limiting erector travel due to coil bind.

It's attention to detail and base design. Leupold has some reliable offerings, and some not as great ones. For a long while, no one called them out on it. Times have changed, but they are sluggish to improve.

The problem isn't that they don't know how to make a reliable optic. They choose not to for whatever reason.

Jeremy

TexasCub

WKR
There has been no info released to indicate that the VX3 HD is anything different than the Vx3’s before it , in mechanicals. They changed a few cosmetics and did something with the glass. As a set it and forget it scope it would be fine, but to think that its ability to dial with accuracy and repetition has improved would be a huge leap. I can’t count the number of Leupolds I have sent back for erector rebuilds. It’s what keeps me from running one on anything I intend to dial with.

Motown

WKR

Glad to hear you have had good luck with the Razor’s. I live in PA but mine is going with me to Montana this November on a Muley hunt and I am glad to hear yours have held up well.

toddh

FNG
I have read that they have put in stronger erector springs and this has resolved the issue. I have had my VX5 for a year now with no issues.

eck

FNG
I've recently been looking for a new scope for my rig and have been eyeing the CDS scopes a lot. I came across one of the new VX3 HD's yesterday and noticed right away that the turret was much more tactile and crisp when dialing than any other CDS I've played with - including VX5 and VX6 scopes. Sample size of one for what its worth.

ChrisAU

WKR
I've recently been looking for a new scope for my rig and have been eyeing the CDS scopes a lot. I came across one of the new VX3 HD's yesterday and noticed right away that the turret was much more tactile and crisp when dialing than any other CDS I've played with - including VX5 and VX6 scopes. Sample size of one for what its worth.

I wish they would sneak out a erector design change, maybe they did. The problem is they can’t come out and say they “improved” it because then they are telling everyone who has a VX-3i that they acknowledge that they don’t track.

OP
J

Jbone62

FNG
I wish they would sneak out a erector design change, maybe they did. The problem is they can’t come out and say they “improved” it because then they are telling everyone who has a VX-3i that they acknowledge that they don’t track.

For what it’s worth, I called them asking about doing a CDS dial and was told they were completely retooling/modifying the CDS process.

Sure enough they have quietly pushed the 3i aside in January. Part of me wonders if they did that because they discovered some design flaws that warranted all of the scathing reviews.

TexasCub

WKR
If you are only going to dial once in a blue moon and are willing to gamble that it won’t lead to a lost or wounded animal that’s one thing. If you are going to dial regularly buy a scope that’s proven to dial with consistency and doesn’t have dozens of many page threads on multiple forums describing tracking failures. That’s my take anyway

I ordered a 4.5x14x40. I will be playing around with the dialing once set up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

JFK

WKR
Picking this thread back up....has anyone gotten one of these and tested tracking and rtz?