Leupold VX3 HD without tracking issues?

wapitibob

WKR
My Leupold experience wasn't a good one; it doesn't take much to see a 2' shift and you tend to get upset when you're on an Antelope hunt 1,000 miles from home. They did fix it, but when it did it again at the range I was done. When we started making nightforce parts I went that route and it has been a pleasant experience. In the last weeks I've decided to go lighter and will try the swfa. If it doesn't work, I'll say so. Against my better judgement, the new vx3 hd was a 2nd choice. I'll go that route if the swfa craps out.

Bluto

WKR
I can’t think of anything that would make me more upset at a scope than what you describe.

As you mention your next scopes, any consideration to the Mark 3HD? I’m wondering if reliability is better in the Mark line overall, especially for someone like me who would seldom dial with a max range of 400.

wapitibob

WKR
The weight of the vx3 is what peaked my interest 13oz, the Mark and swfa were basically the same weight 20oz. My nightforce was 33oz.

I didn't know a mark 3hd existed. What is price point on that?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I didn't know a mark 3hd existed. What is price point on that?

NM. Just looked it up. They have a nice lpvo but only 1.5-4x. Not smart. Shouldve made a 1-6 or even a 1-10, . The rest with higher mag look just like the regular vx3hd though. Not much tactical about them like the other mark series

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I got a bunch of first hand testing to show on a VX-3i LRP. Where do I start...

Here's a ladder test that I did when I thought something was a miss. It tracked true through 2 mils and started climbing fast after that. I sent it to Leupold after doing this test and they sent it back saying it was within spec.
IMG_4820.jpg

Then I take a different gun/scope/ammo combo which I know is 100% solid and I do a comparison - I shoot a small 2 mil ladder test with the scope I know is good and then I swap scopes on the gun and shoot the same test with the VX-3i LRP. This is 3 shots on the way up and 3 shots on the way down, not 2 shots and dial. Here's what we get...

Known good setup:
IMG_7876.JPG

Same gun and ammo only I've got the VX-3i on it now:
IMG_7847.jpg

Then for kicks I shot a group with the known good scope and a group with the VX-3i LRP - again same gun and ammo between these test groups, the only difference is the scope. I'm sure you can guess which was the VX-3i LRP at this point.
IMG_7844.jpg

Leupold ends up replacing the scope at this point and I sold it. Too much wasted time and ammo, and I didn't want to do the same again on the replacement. That's my story, first hand, with pictures. I do believe Leupold makes a solid scope, everyone has bad ones slip by, but if I ever gave Leupold another try, it'd be a Mark 5 or nothing for me. And for those curious - it took 6 weeks to get my scope back the first time I sent it in...

Does anyone here have the VX3i CDS? This is what I ordered, waiting for it to come along in the mail. Curious if anyone owns this particular scope?
I’ve got one on a 7 RM been great so far... but I haven’t poured frozen sand on it and tossed it in a lawn before shooting 20 round groups so it’s definitely questionable 🤣.

Lemme know if you have specifics would be glad to help. I’ve got maybe 150 rounds over the last two months with it. Sounds like you’ve already pulled the trigger?

Bluto

WKR
NM. Just looked it up. They have a nice lpvo but only 1.5-4x. Not smart. Shouldve made a 1-6 or even a 1-10, . The rest with higher mag look just like the regular vx3hd though. Not much tactical about them like the other mark series

Took me a while to track down Leupold’s take on what exactly is different. Sounds like they make no bones about it, it’s very similar to the VX HD series. (I didn’t look through the LVPO offerings, wasn’t on the radar.)

30mm tube, Mark series “beefiness” (assumed by me,) and the reticle offerings being the biggest stated difference. I didn’t realize until today this was supposed to be a “tactical” line. I was just looking for a mil reticle option and a 3-9’ish scope.

JFK

WKR
Checking back in on this thread. Anyone have any solid experience with the newer vx3 HD’s yet?

OP
J

Jbone62

FNG
Checking back in on this thread. Anyone have any solid experience with the newer vx3 HD’s yet?
+1 to this. I have yet to see any positive or negative reviews that don’t seem like they were paid for.

ChrisAU

WKR
I put a 1.5-5x20 on my Kimber 358 Win, like it so far. Zero'd it with no fuss. I got it because I had a FX-II 2.5-20 on it but wanted the lower base mag for the woods and higher mag for the range. For kicks I put in an order for a custom CDS after I chrono'd it lol. This is my 5.25 lb loaded & scoped 16" 358. Will work the CDS to 500 and back in a few weeks just for gits and shiggles. Actually pleasantly suprised by the feel of the turrets, they beat the snot out of every VX-anything I've ever had, including VX-5HD and VX-6HD as far as click "feel" which arbitrarily gives me some confidence. This scope will never, ever be dialed for shots on game. Got it for Leupold science. If the CDS dials reliably on a 5.25 lb 358 Win then I think I'd be able to vouch for this particular one. The 1.5-5 has long been a favorite of African dangerous game hunters though (from what I've read), so it may have traits that don't carry over to other models.

OP
J

Jbone62

FNG
I put a 1.5-5x20 on my Kimber 358 Win, like it so far. Zero'd it with no fuss. I got it because I had a FX-II 2.5-20 on it but wanted the lower base mag for the woods and higher mag for the range. For kicks I put in an order for a custom CDS after I chrono'd it lol. This is my 5.25 lb loaded & scoped 16" 358. Will work the CDS to 500 and back in a few weeks just for gits and shiggles. Actually pleasantly suprised by the feel of the turrets, they beat the snot out of every VX-anything I've ever had, including VX-5HD and VX-6HD as far as click "feel" which arbitrarily gives me some confidence. This scope will never, ever be dialed for shots on game. Got it for Leupold science. If the CDS dials reliably on a 5.25 lb 358 Win then I think I'd be able to vouch for this particular one. The 1.5-5 has long been a favorite of African dangerous game hunters though (from what I've read), so it may have traits that don't carry over to other models.
Excited to hear how it goes for you! Keep us posted!!

JFK

WKR
Bringing this one back….anyone here run one of the newer VX3 HD’s this season? Good, bad? There is so little real world info on these scopes it’s weird. Mainly interested on if tracking is improved over past models.

craigrh13

FNG
I like my VX3HD. I have it mounted on my 350 legend. Got a dial made for Bear Creek 160’s. Sighted in at 100 then checked the CDS at 150. I ended up shooting an 8 point at 271 yards setting the CDS dial to 275. Right behind the shoulder. It ran closer to me after the shot and I put another one in it. The scope has performed well for me.

schmalzy

WKR
Just got one in 2.5-8x36 for a 270wsm. Will report back as soon as ammo comes in. Initial
Impressions are solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

isu22andy

WKR
Anyone else ? I like the simple turret lock .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtriple

WKR
Following this as well. I've picked up a VX-3HD 4.5-14X40 SIDE FOCUS CDS-ZL WIND-PLEX recently that I like a lot. Lightweight, good zoom, dial with zero stop, extended throw lever, some windage holdovers, and a good price (especially when on sale). I'd love to see an in-depth review on it from @Formidilosus though....

nobody

WKR
Following this as well. I've picked up a VX-3HD 4.5-14X40 SIDE FOCUS CDS-ZL WIND-PLEX recently that I like a lot. Lightweight, good zoom, dial with zero stop, extended throw lever, some windage holdovers, and a good price (especially when on sale). I'd love to see an in-depth review on it from @Formidilosus though....
I doubt he will ever test it. He just posted on one of the Trijicon scope tests that Leupold's $2500 MK5 didn't hold zero, I doubt the VX3's or 5's or 6's would fare any better. He may chime in and say otherwise, but who knows.

I've got an older VX3i 4.5-14 CDS from about 5 or 6 years ago, and it's done ok. But it definitely has a small wandering zero issue. I've dropped it and fallen on it while out in the field, it's tipped over on rocks, stuff happens. The zero always moves, but never tons, about a minute at most. Every hundred or couple hundred rounds the windage and elevation wander a couple of of clicks at least. It's never been off more than about a minute in any direction, but there's usually never anything I can tie it to as far as a reason for the zero changing. I've gone out and shot it, fine tuned the zero, then taken it home and gone back out a few days or a week later and the gun would be off by 3/4 MOA in an inexplicable and inconsistent direction. I definitely have a habit of keeping an close eye on it. The barrel is about shot out on that gun, and when I re-barrel it I'll be getting rid of that scope. It's never catastrophically failed as far as dialing to shoot to 800 and stayed there, but I'm constantly "fine tuning" the zero point. Suffice it to say I won't be running any more of them!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I doubt he will ever test it. He just posted on one of the Trijicon scope tests that Leupold's $2500 MK5 didn't hold zero, I doubt the VX3's or 5's or 6's would fare any better. He may chime in and say otherwise, but who knows.

I have no issue evaling one, and it does need to be, if someone wants to send Ryan one I will do so.

I've got an older VX3i 4.5-14 CDS from about 5 or 6 years ago, and it's done ok. But it definitely has a small wandering zero issue.

And that is what they do constantly.

nobody

WKR
And that is what they do constantly.
Absolutely, like I said, I got it a few years ago before knowing better. It'll be getting a 6x SWFA (one day...) along with a new barrel this summer, as I've currently got about 3k down the tube and it's starting to throw fliers. The gun is relegated to safe queen while I work on other stuff right now, otherwise it would be a higher priority. The wandering zero has always driven me nuts, and it wasn't until we started these tests on here that I realized it wasn't just "normal" behavior. It's never been enough to cause a miss inside 300 yards or so, an inch or so at 100 is all. But it always happens for no reason. It bugs me that it took me this long to learn!