Leupold VX3-i or SWFA 6x/10x

bobr1

WKR
So i have trying to decide which one to get. Would like some input, did a lot of searches on here and seemed to come down to the two due to price. I have a VX3i 3.5-10x40 already on my tikka tx3 6.5cr I got it (scope) for $240 last year new. I can still get one for $295. I am looking to put the new scope on a BROWNING X-BOLT STALKER LR .308. I'm not planning on doing anything crazy long, plan on staying under 500 yds maybe a little over in ideal conditions. I live in Montana and hunt everything from bear, elk, antelope deer etc. and from thick forest to open prairie. I see a lot of guys like the SWFA fixed powered a lot and seems to be 6x42 or 10x42 Not sure which would be more ideal, leaning more to 6x but seem difficult to find. Or should I spend the extra money for the side focus? Also they have the tax day sale, but this year it looks like it's only 10% off so it would be it at $270. Also, don't know what if I should go with the 1/10 mil or 1/4 moa clicks. I have also heard SWFA can have really long back order times.

Anyway, I know its probably apple to oranges but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:

Hogyotedeer

Banned
all eyes are different as are all situations. Also these manufacturers are all making several different products. your VX6 1-6x24 will have different qualities than your 3-18x52 ro whatever it is. but generalizing (all generalizations are wrong on some level):

Top end Leupy glass is going to be a touch better than nightforce which will fall somewhere aroud VX2-VX3 in my eyes. (Haven't seen the VX3i, or VX5 yet), and nightforce maybe a touch better than SWFA.

the latter will be probably be too close to call in most instances.

Unfortunately they don't let me mount them on my rifles and run around cabelas at night hunting the mounts with a bunch of fake Christmas trees around them to see which one would work the best for my situations.

That being said... Glass is only one feature in a scope and although it is the most apparent feature, it probably isn't the sole factor you should base your decision on...

BAKPAKR

WKR
I would avoid the 10X SWFA for a general purpose scope on a hunting rifle. I have one on a 22 and it would be too much power for me in the woods plus the reticle is very fine. I am fairly certain that the reticle on the 6X SWFA is thicker. I don’t think the SWFA scopes are in stock but I think they will let you backorder at the sale price (you might check on that and on the ETA).

If you are considering the VX-3i, I would suggest that you also look at the SWFA 3-9. On sale, it would be just a little over the $500 you budgeted. I have two, and I really like them.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
I would avoid the 10X SWFA for a general purpose scope on a hunting rifle. I have one on a 22 and it would be too much power for me in the woods plus the reticle is very fine. I am fairly certain that the reticle on the 6X SWFA is thicker. I don’t think the SWFA scopes are in stock but I think they will let you backorder at the sale price (you might check on that and on the ETA).

If you are considering the VX-3i, I would suggest that you also look at the SWFA 3-9. On sale, it would be just a little over the $500 you budgeted. I have two, and I really like them.
Sorry I meant 500 yards. I'll edit it.

Ohearchai

FNG
I got a little vx3i 4.5-14x40, 30mm tube, simple reticle. Seems like a nice little scope for a hunting rig, l do like variable power over fixed. I also prefer side parralax. Decent eyebox on it, glass seem ok, etc. Swfa aint bad and I actually had a fixed 10 many years ago, but it wouldnt be something that I would put on a hunting rifle.

Bater

WKR
I picked up my last SS 3-9 for $450 on sale, that would be the easy choice

I have no experience with the fixed power swfa's. I'm not sure of glass quality. But I prefer the clarity of my vx3i over the 3-15 swfa. I believe it picks up light better also. I would say it is apples to oranges though. If you are dialing, (and I think you should to get to 500), swfa would be the way to go. My vx3i is set and forget since I had return to zero issues with it.