Leupold VX3hd Questions - 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 ???

This was my first year hunting with a rifle and I figured out I need a better scope. My Nikon is terrible in low light. I think I've settled on the vx3hd. I'm shooting a 270 and think the 3.5x10 should be plenty magnification as my 3x9 worked fine. Is the 4.5x14 overkill for a 270 or is it better and worth the extra 100 bucks? There is also only one model of vx3 with side focus. Is that really necessary?

Marble

WKR
My opinion and experience leads me to the 14x and the side focus, which might be a paralex adjustment.

It's a very subjective question. I have several 3x9 scopes on my shorter range rifles. Works out just fine. Most of my shots are less than 100 yards with those rifles. With the rifles I shoot past that normally, I have the larger scopes. I've also killed several animals at short range with those same scopes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

If you’ve got a spotter or some higher quality binos the 10x should be fine. If you’re using the scope to judge the quality of the animal then the extra 4x will definitely help out in those 400+.

You may hear all the war stories about shooting 6x to 1 mile etc. and it’s doable. I’ve shot holographics to 600 yards but the extra zoom really helps determine a 6 pt vs a small 8 pt. 3x4 vs 4x4 etc.

KenLee

WKR
Which model Nikon?
You think it's terrible in low light. Unless it's bottom of the barrel Nikon, you won't get much satisfaction from a VX3HD in the same objective size.

Last edited:

sargent

WKR
I have the 3.5x10 on two of my rifles. If weight is a concern or you'll be getting into short range shot opportunities (like a deer running away through the woods), I'd go with this magnification. If you don't mind the extra weight and take most of your shots from a supported position at distant targets, I'd go for the 4.5x14. I've shot the 3.5x10 to 500 yards on a 12" steel gong, no problems seeing the target.

I have both in the older VX-3 version. I found the eye relief was about unusable when on 14x.

I would either go with the 3.5-10 or step up to a higher quality optic if you really want more magnification.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Deer and bear. Realistically 0 - 400 yards. I'd like to hunt antelope with it too someday so maybe 500+...

If I were in your shoes, I will go for the vx3hd 3.5-x10. Affordable and effective, does its work brilliantly.
No need for more than 10x inside 400 yards and the wider FOV of the 3.5x will come in handy.

Our pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give us a call, 516-217-1000

I would not buy a current VX3, they kinda suck. The VX5 isn't that much more money and is a far better optic, it's not even close.

I have and use the 4.5-14 x 40 in a VX III, VX 3 and VX 3 HD on three different rifles. I had two different bucks within sight Sunday evening at 30 minutes after sunset. One at 145 yards and the other at 202. I could still count the points at that time. My furtherest kill with the VX 3 was 528 yards, albeit during full daylight. Been using these scopes for many years and will continue to. Never had a problem and never returned one for any kind of service. I hunt mostly where I can get shots inside 350 yards. I just haven’t seen the need to spend more money. Apparently I’m one of the few hunters to not have trouble with the Leupold brand. Just call me “Lucky”.

Find a used vx5 here in the classifieds and roll on. I didn’t, bought 2 vx3i before I finally just got a vx5. I wouldn’t get too caught up on 40 vs 50 but I do prefer side focus, and 30mm tubes. Yes, the vx5 is worth the extra money.

Unless you’re dead set on a leupold, nightforce was on sale. There was a thread somewhere here. That’s the route I’d take.

3.5-10 if set on a vx3. Ive had several 4.5-14’s and only have one left as of now. In my experience they don’t track very well but the glass is pretty good. Once you get it sighted in they usually hold zero for a few months to a few years depending on how much you shoot and how bad the recoil on the rifle.

Last edited: