Leupold VX5HD vs Mark 5HD

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I've been looking at scopes now that my gun will be built in the next couple months. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the VX5HD 7-35x56 and the Mark 5HD 5-25x56. Just looking for opinions on either scope from guys that have used them in the field. Scope will be going on a custom 28 Nosler and I like to practice my shooting out over 1000 yards. I like features on both and not looking for an illuminated reticle necessarily, just not sure if the 35 zoom is practical on the vx5 or if the 120 MOA turrets on the mark 5 are really practical. Thanks for the help.

wildcat33

WKR
Cant speak for the Mark 5, but I have a VX5 3-15. Which is a fantastic scope for what it is, but the VX5 is not a scope for dialing precision long range shooting.

All depends on what you want to do and what you like. You should read up on FFP vs SFP scopes. There are plenty of good threads on here on that subject. I personally own Mark5 3.6-18 on a 7SAUM and love it. My father in law has the lower power VX5 on his 6.5CM. I will say, if you are not used to a FFP scope, the reticle it a little different at first and takes a little bit of getting used to. If you’re primarily hunting, I would go with a little lower power but that’s just what I like. There are plenty of threads and podcasts on this subject and I believe Leupold has an informative podcast on this very subject too. The glass in both scopes is the same I believe it’s just a matter of FFP vs SFP and reticle. I have also heard of several issues regarding the tracking on the VX5 but my father in law’s has functioned flawlessly thus far and his scope is relatively new so maybe that issue was resolved. I will also say that the adjustments are much more tactile on the Mark5. Good glass is kinda like boots, find what you like and what fits you and your objective best. Good luck!