Leupold Vx6hd 2-12 vs Nightforce nxs 2-10x42

G37some

FNG
Trying to decide on an optic for my new build. its a Tikka action in 22gt and will be used mainly for coyotes / predators on our land. ive already worked out ballistics and if i zero at 50 I should be point blank out to 300. longest shot realistically would be 400 on an animal. steel will be tried out to 1000. I currently have a vx6 2-12 and was looking for anyone with experience on if its worth the upgrade to the vx6hd or an nxs 2-10., what would have the better glass. Ideally I would love the March 1.5-15 but thats real far out the price range.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Got both. NF is on the rifle. Reputation for reliable dialing means you become a believer. Its all about the headspace of the nut behing the butt. My VX6 was pretty sweet, Parallax set further out and TMOA reticle.
Didn't need a 20MOA rail on the NF so weight (for a carry rifle) actually was less with NF.
Shoot both scopes to 850yds.
Both times I have had a scope failure it has been due to action screws loosening. I have learned all about degreasing and loctite (the hard way).
Awesome advice available on this site!

Sadler

WKR
I’ve used both. The vx6hd I used had unexplained zero loss, thankfully that was after the hunt and I currently have an nxs2-10. Other than the reticle options, I’m a huge fan and would like a couple more. I’ve been working the dials lately and have taken it out to 625 yards and it’s returned to zero with no problem. As far as glass goes, I set it up the other night on a target at 350 yards and could see it just fine even past legal shooting light. The good news is if you buy the nxs and decide you’d rather have the vx6hd, you’ll be able to get most of your money back. Not sure that would be the case with the Leupold.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
I’ve used both. The vx6hd I used had unexplained zero loss, thankfully that was after the hunt and I currently have an nxs2-10. Other than the reticle options, I’m a huge fan and would like a couple more. I’ve been working the dials lately and have taken it out to 625 yards and it’s returned to zero with no problem. As far as glass goes, I set it up the other night on a target at 350 yards and could see it just fine even past legal shooting light. The good news is if you buy the nxs and decide you’d rather have the vx6hd, you’ll be able to get most of your money back. Not sure that would be the case with the Leupold.
that was my main concern as some of my shooting on coyotes and predators would be later on into the night. and i wanted the best glass i could get for low light conditions. one of my biggest gripes about the duplex reticle on the leupold is the thickness of it. is the reticle in the nightforce thinner?

jjjones7

FNG
I’ve spent a decent amount of time behind the 2.5-10x42 and it is an excellent compact scope. I’ve not been behind a 2-12 vx6 but have shot other variants of the vx6 and have not been overly impressed with reliability and RTZ. Another couple scopes that You may look into if you want to save a little coin is the 3-12 Bushnell LRHS/LRTS. They’re no longer made but they do show up in the classifieds from time to time. I’ve shot them and consider them every bit as good as the NXS compact. The other which I have no time behind but which is also highly regarded is the SHV 3-10 it is also quit compact.

OP
G

G37some

FNG
I’ve spent a decent amount of time behind the 2.5-10x42 and it is an excellent compact scope. I’ve not been behind a 2-12 vx6 but have shot other variants of the vx6 and have not been overly impressed with reliability and RTZ. Another couple scopes that You may look into if you want to save a little coin is the 3-12 Bushnell LRHS/LRTS. They’re no longer made but they do show up in the classifieds from time to time. I’ve shot them and consider them every bit as good as the NXS compact. The other which I have no time behind but which is also highly regarded is the SHV 3-10 it is also quit compact.
Thank you for this info. I will look into the bushnells

that was my main concern as some of my shooting on coyotes and predators would be later on into the night. and i wanted the best glass i could get for low light conditions. one of my biggest gripes about the duplex reticle on the leupold is the thickness of it. is the reticle in the nightforce thinner?
One of the best low light scopes is the VX5HD 3-15x56. I own 3 of them. I also own several VX6HD’s, an NXS and an NX8. If I wanted a scope for a dedicated coyote gun that would be used occasionally for night hunting it would be the 3-15x56, hands down.

I have never had one of my leupy’s fail, and regularly dial them out to 1250 and back. Smallest group I have ever shot at 1000 yds was with my 6mm CM (coyote rifle) wearing one of those 3-15x56’s.

Sadler

WKR
I believe it is but I haven’t had the Leupold for a while now so I’m not 100% sure on that.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
The NXS has illumination also

I have a 2.5-10 NXS but I don’t have a VX6HD to compare.

I’m researching scopes for a coyote rifle and the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x56 is at the top. A buddy has 7-8 VX6HD’s on his rifles. We were talking scopes and I told him about the Trijicon’s. He found some in at a local place and after looking through it he said the glass was as good as his Leupolds.

I don’t know if that’s true since I haven’t compared them but he did end up buying a Trijicon instead of another Leupold.

BjornF16

WKR
If you want a SFP scope then NXS 2.5-10 would be my first choice.

I would definitely go Trijicon before Leupold. I have a Credo 2-10x36 FFP that I really like. I recently sold my Credo HX 2.5-15x42 to fund a Tenmile 3-18. Trijicon glass is excellent (which is secondary to reliability).

The Tenmile and Credo HX have write-ups in the Long Range Hunting forum:

Last edited:
OP
G

G37some

FNG

I would definitely go Trijicon before Leupold. I have a Credo 2-10x36 FFP that I really like. I recently sold my Credo HX 2.5-15x42 to fund a Tenmile 3-18. Trijicon glass is excellent (which is secondary to reliability).

yeah i just prefer sfp for my hunting rifles since im either on minimum and its a close enough shot where i need a big center aiming point or its a longer shot and im on max mag anyway. seems like the nxs is gonna be my choice.

The credo failed didnt it?

I have a 2.5-10 NXS but I don’t have a VX6HD to compare.

I’m researching scopes for a coyote rifle and the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x56 is at the top. A buddy has 7-8 VX6HD’s on his rifles. We were talking scopes and I told him about the Trijicon’s. He found some in at a local place and after looking through it he said the glass was as good as his Leupolds.

I don’t know if that’s true since I haven’t compared them but he did end up buying a Trijicon instead of another Leupold.
Trijicon glass is nowhere close to Leupold’s HD stuff.

Trijicon glass is nowhere close to Leupold’s HD stuff.
Thanks for the second opinion. We will go shooting together soon and I’ll be able to see for myself. I’m not saying Leupold glass is bad. I personally have always thought it was decent for the price. When a die hard Leupold fan says he liked the glass in some other brand better it is surprising.

BjornF16

WKR
The credo failed didnt it?
Fail?…no. Had a minor POI shift after drops but held the zero.

Certainly didn’t lose zero from riding in the truck like the LHT and VX5HD

Edit: To clarify, when torqued at 16 in-lbs “dry”, it slipped in the mount during the 36” drop. It was ”fixed” on the spot by increasing torque and re-zero, then re-tested. There was some POI movement and the grouping opened up during the 36” drops, BUT it held zero.

Form was going to re-mount using his “protocol” and re-test. I’m not sure the full test was performed or not. But there was a post where three scopes were shot and one did not hold zero, while the other two held zero but opened up in group size. Those three scopes were: Credo, PST, and VX5HD. The VX5HD failed.

Last edited:
Fail?…no. Had a minor POI shift after drops but held the zero.

Certainly didn’t lose zero from riding in the truck like the LHT and VX5HD

Edit: To clarify, when torqued at 16 in-lbs “dry”, it slipped in the mount during the 36” drop. It was ”fixed” on the spot by increasing torque and re-zero, then re-tested. There was some POI movement and the grouping opened up during the 36” drops, BUT it held zero.

Form was going to re-mount using his “protocol” and re-test. I’m not sure the full test was performed or not. But there was a post where three scopes were shot and one did not hold zero, while the other two held zero but opened up in group size. Those three scopes were: Credo, PST, and VX5HD. The VX5HD failed.
Nope - it was the Mark5hd, not the VX5HD. He hasn’t finished his testing. Credo isn’t the Tenmile like everybody wants it to be. Go read the comments on the test.

BjornF16

WKR
Nope - it was the Mark5hd, not the VX5HD. He hasn’t finished his testing. Credo isn’t the Tenmile like everybody wants it to be. Go read the comments on the test.
You’re right… that test was Mark 5HD

But there is this comment of his as well: