Leupold VX6HD mounting/leveling issue

carter33

WKR
I went to mount my leupold vx6hd using the wheeler professional leveling kit(bases were on the rail already). I started by leveling the rifle using the level on the rail then leveled the barrel mounted level to use as a baseline in the following steps. Then I sat the scope in the base/put on rings, took off the scope cap and placed the level on the elevation erector turning the scope to make it level. I go to check it against a rough plumb bob and the reticle is definitely canted. So i know the rifle and scope are level or so I think at this point. This led me to believe that the reticle is not square inside the scope with the windage/elevation. Fortunately the vx6hd has the internal level with illumination so I leveled it using that with the rifle being level and it is accurate with the plumb bob as well. However the level when placed on the elevation turret is still not level with the rifle, leupold internal level and reticle.

Sorry if that was long winded. Has anyone else experienced this issue of the rifle and reticle not leveling correctly in relation to the elevation turret? Should I be concerned and would I be better off allowing the reticle to be canted and level the scope based off the level on the elevation turret? I do shoot out to 1000 yards when practicing.

And yes this will likely be my last leupold, my new rifle in the works will wear a nightforce.

Wapiti1

WKR
Take the turret off and level using the post underneath. You should do this with any scope regardless of make. The turret cap may not be square on the post.

If you do this, and the reticle is still not square, send it in for repair.

Jeremy

I would find an arisaka level wedge and try that. I trust the bottom of the turret area more than the cap on an elevation turret to be correct.

If the reticle is plumb, and the internal level is good AND its good with the arisaka then you have an elevation cap that isn't totally flat.

Do you have a pic of how far off level the cap is right now with the reticle plumb?

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
Take the turret off and level using the post underneath. You should do this with any scope regardless of make. The turret cap may not be square on the post.

If you do this, and the reticle is still not square, send it in for repair.

Jeremy

I did take the turret off and use the actual post, attempted to convey that in the original post but am sure I could have made it more clear. Unfortunately I think you are likely correct in that I need to send it back.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
I would find an arisaka level wedge and try that. I trust the bottom of the turret area more than the cap on an elevation turret to be correct.

If the reticle is plumb, and the internal level is good AND its good with the arisaka then you have an elevation cap that isn't totally flat.

Do you have a pic of how far off level the cap is right now with the reticle plumb?

I will try and take some pictures later on here and post em. I thought about using an arisaka level wedge but don't have one, may need to try and get one. As mentioned above I was leveling off the elevation post itself not the turret cap. It is possible that post itself may not be totally flat I will look more closely at it but if it isn't level with everything else then I do think I have a problem on my hands that will require sending it in.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
@duckhunter175
3-18x44, the level is on the cap but it and the elevation post were basically the same.

Attachments

• C09CA834-3E16-485E-BF67-E7A09CA27991.jpeg
    C09CA834-3E16-485E-BF67-E7A09CA27991.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 36

Wapiti1

WKR
Before sending it in, you can check the tracking. Level the reticle to the rifle using a plumb bob on string or a door way for a vertical reference.

Then check it with a tall target test. Level the rifle and secure it, level a 3-4 foot target with a vertical line drawn on it, and run the elevation +/- 30 MOA. If the reticle tracks the line, you are good. If it leaves the line, then you know.
Leupold has a +/- 3 degree tolerance, if I remember right. The makers like Nightforce use a +/- 0.5 degree tolerance.

Jeremy