Leupold VXR is the back seat of a truck that was totaled...... Guess how much zero is impacted

Bcowette

FNG
So I recently picked up a new left over stock Leupold VXR 3-9x50 ballistc firedot to put on my TC pro hunter muzzleloader. I think this is the perfect scope for the hunting situations it will see. Last week I went to the range and got everything dialed in. 1.25 inches high at 100 yards put me right in the bottom of the bullseye at 200 using the first hash mark on the reticle. Absolulty perfect! So I'm on my way home from the range with my son feeling great about how dialed in my gun is and some knuckle head decides to blow a red light and we end up in an accident that is bad enough that it totoaled my 2016 Sierra. We were probably going 30 ish miles an hour at the time of impact as there was not any time to react.

The gun was on the floor in the back seat and was in a decnt Kryptek soft case. It slammed up into the back of the drivers seat. Just curious what you would EXPECT the change in zero to be after a situation like this. I'll be going back to the range in the next 30 days or so to see where it's at and get it dialed back in if need be but I'm curious what everyone thinks will happen. Do you think the scope will be 6 inches off at 100? No change? Maybe move and inch? Post your thoghts and I'll post the results when I get back to the range to verify.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A couple years ago my daughter dropped her rifle topped with a Leupold Mark 4. The first thing to hit the rocks was the outside of the windage knob and there was a visible ding on it and it had knocked it off the zero setting. I moved the turret back to zero and a few days later she shot a doe at 375 yards after dialing up the elevation turret.......dead on.

Honestly, at this point, gun and scope are garbage. Just send it to me and I’ll make a wall hanger out of it and you can just claim it with your auto insurance and get a new set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems like an obvious thread for a poll or better yet a pool. Everyone that makes a guess throws in a few bucks and we donate the results to the winners conservation non-profit of choice.

260madman

WKR
This seems like an obvious thread for a poll or better yet a pool. Everyone that makes a guess throws in a few bucks and we donate the results to the winners conservation non-profit of choice.

I just happen to be a conservation non-profit. I lose money every year doing conservation things. Especially now with gun and ammo prices. 😂

First of all, I'm glad you're well enough to be worried about something as trivial as a rifle scope.

That said, I would question the mounts more than the scope. I wouldn't expect the scope to move at all, but depending on the mounts, they might.

If I were a betting man, I'd say "zero."

Good luck dealing with insurance. We all know what a headache that can be.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I also would suspect that the mounts would be much more likely to cause zero shift than the scope. I personally use Warne maxima rings and bases and they will maintain zero through fairly serious abuse. I dropped a rifle with these mounts and a Leupold VX-2 from around 10 feet and it was still dead nuts zeroed. So I would say if you have good mounts and rings, I doubt it changed much if any.

OP
B

Bcowette

FNG
I ended up tagging my 2 biggest bucks of my life during bow and shotgun season so I didn't even hunt with the muzzleloader this year. I just haven't had time and made a priority to get back to the range. I'll be bringing it back to the range next year to see how it held zero.