Leveling Your 3rd Axis at Full Draw

Excellent, Thx!

There is a lot to be said for confidence when you know your equipment is dialed and there are no guesses.

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone just take the level off their sights, or not look at it? I think that would be the simplest solution to 3rd axis and you would be relying on your own skills instead of the equipment. I bet most people on here shoot enough that they know whether their bow is level or not without looking at the bubble. I am gonna use Aron as an example; When he drew back on that bull settled in for the shot he was most likely holding the bow level, but then his GIF came along and told him to look at the level, so he did. He saw that it was off, so he changed the angle of his bow, resulting in changing the pins, and in the end, a miss.

trkyslr

WKR
Does anyone just take the level off their sights, or not look at it? I think that would be the simplest solution to 3rd axis and you would be relying on your own skills instead of the equipment. I bet most people on here shoot enough that they know whether their bow is level or not without looking at the bubble. I am gonna use Aron as an example; When he drew back on that bull settled in for the shot he was most likely holding the bow level, but then his GIF came along and told him to look at the level, so he did. He saw that it was off, so he changed the angle of his bow, resulting in changing the pins, and in the end, a miss.

Say whaaaat! I would not consider that. You said He was more then likely holding the bow level. I may be wrong but imo 9 out 10 guys standing on steep side hill feet facing down aiming side hill will not have a perfectly level hold including myself. Ive played with that many times and gravity still pulls me down and i end up canting slightly away from the hill. And at 40 yards plus a half a bubble or more means arrows way off. The bubble is a valuable tool that allows us to be more efficient killers to make better shots.

DWarcher

WKR
Say whaaaat! I would not consider that. You said He was more then likely holding the bow level. I may be wrong but imo 9 out 10 guys standing on steep side hill feet facing down aiming side hill will not have a perfectly level hold including myself. Ive played with that many times and gravity still pulls me down and i end up canting slightly away from the hill. And at 40 yards plus a half a bubble or more means arrows way off. The bubble is a valuable tool that allows us to be more efficient killers to make better shots.

You're spot on (no pun intended). If you spend much time at all shooting 3D in the hills you will be amazed how many times you've got to make that bubble adjustment when you thought you had your bow level and were ready to execute the shot.

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
...I may be wrong but imo 9 out 10 guys standing on steep side hill feet facing down aiming side hill will not have a perfectly level hold including myself...

For this situation you would need to have your your 2nd axis set, not your 3rd.

For the record I do have my 2nd and 3rd axis set on my setup, but I don't feel like I use the bubble very often. I guess I was just trying to suggest to the people that don't have 3rd axis adjustable sights that they don't "have" to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a new sight. I think practice would be worth more than a new sight, but if you can get a 3rd axis adjustable sight and practice with it, then that would obviously be the best option.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hadn't been following this thread after the first few posts, but it certainly has some different opinions.

Leveling your bow on uphill, downhill and side hill shots is mandatory if you want to be most consistent and as accurate as possible. That is fact and not debate able.

I can understand if you don't based on your own preferences or practices, but you will never be as consistent with your alignment as if you used your level appropriately.

I am a huge proponent of making sure your 3rd axis is set correctly but I tell most of my customers that 3rd axis is really only necessary for western guys shooting 60+ yards down a 40 degree slope. Sitting in a treestand and shots under 20 yards the differences will be within your own group size and you'll never know.

[video=youtube;WX6ik-Ed5kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WX6ik-Ed5kk[/video]

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone out there with a Spyder tried to set third axis using the Hamskea tool? Ive had a tough time finding a spot to mount the Hamskea to the riser. The only squared and machined surface is where the sight and arrow rest mount. Ive been using shims to set the tool, but I wish there was a more accurate and less tedious method.