Leveling Your 3rd Axis at Full Draw

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Great vids. I didnt realize that it made that much difference. I have a truglo microbrite 5 pin with out the 3rd axis adj. I may just have to sell it and get 1 that is adjustable. I was thinking it may be possible to make a tool such as in the vid, but it pobably would be better to just buy the Hamskea and make sure it is 1 that actually works correctly.

Mike P

FNG
Wish I hadn't watch the videos...I just bought Aron's old site last week and now will need to buy another one with 3rd axis levelling...lol

Good videos and makes sense after watching it with the water bottle. Was shooting my bow with a site I hadn't used before at our 3D shoot last week and was consistently 3-4 inches left on all the longer downhill shots and now understand what the issue likely was.

Good info for sure

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Mike- I thought the MBG sights had 3rd axis adjustments? Their website says the ascent has it I think.

Mike P

FNG
site

I am just speculating that the MBG is without the 3rd axis because Aron stated in the video that his old site did not have 3rd axis on it...i could be wrong though,i have been known to be wrong before :)

I checked out the MBG site and only the dovetail mount Ascent has 3rd axis and i think the one coming from Aron is the regular mount but am not sure??? Kind of jumped on the site without asking to many questions...lol

No matter it will be a vast improvement over the piece of crap trueglow that i have now..man i hate that site!!!

J-Daddy

WKR
On the BG Ascent sights....They DO NOT come standard with 3rd axis adjustment. To get the 3rd axis adjustment on them you have to upgrade them to either the Vengeance mount or the 4" or 6" dovetail mounts. All 3 of those have the 3rd axis adjustments built into the mount.
I'm a Black Gold dealer and have been on their Staff for a few years, I know their sights very well...

cmeier117

WKR
On the BG Ascent sights....They DO NOT come standard with 3rd axis adjustment. To get the 3rd axis adjustment on them you have to upgrade them to either the Vengeance mount or the 4" or 6" dovetail mounts. All 3 of those have the 3rd axis adjustments built into the mount.
I'm a Black Gold dealer and have been on their Staff for a few years, I know their sights very well...

That's how I understood it. Thanks for clarifying.

I am just speculating that the MBG is without the 3rd axis because Aron stated in the video that his old site did not have 3rd axis on it...i could be wrong though,i have been known to be wrong before :)

I checked out the MBG site and only the dovetail mount Ascent has 3rd axis and i think the one coming from Aron is the regular mount but am not sure??? Kind of jumped on the site without asking to many questions...lol

No matter it will be a vast improvement over the piece of crap trueglow that i have now..man i hate that site!!!

You can still get your 3rd axis leveled if you shim your sight. It can be a pain, but it can be done.

JNDEER

WKR
So, when you adjust your sight for the third axes, do you than have to re sight in your bow? If so, from beginning with getting your center or just your pins?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
JNDEER, you will have to make some slight adjustments. If you change your second axis it could affect your up and down slightly depending on which way you moved it. 3rd axis could affect your left and right slightly also depending on which way you move it. They would be gang adjustments only if your sight has that feature, which most do if they have 3rd axis.

J-Daddy

WKR
That's how I understood it. Thanks for clarifying.

No problem....I will throw out 1 piece of advice for those with the BlackGold sights that are setting the 3rd axis on them....A little goes a long way on that adjustment bolt...Don't start cranking on it, they recommend a 1/4 turn each way as the MAX amount, if you go more than that you can damage the 3rd axis adjustment on them. If you do damage it normally it just locks up "I've seen it happen", Black Gold will replace it but you'll have to send it in to get it done.

JNDEER

WKR
No problem....I will throw out 1 piece of advice for those with the BlackGold sights that are setting the 3rd axis on them....A little goes a long way on that adjustment bolt...Don't start cranking on it, they recommend a 1/4 turn each way as the MAX amount, if you go more than that you can damage the 3rd axis adjustment on them. If you do damage it normally it just locks up "I've seen it happen", Black Gold will replace it but you'll have to send it in to get it done.

RosinBag - thanks, I figured just a sight adjustment but wanted to make sure I would not need to adjust everything.

Thanks for the heads up. I have the Super 7 and was wondering how exactly do I go about adjusting the third axis on it? There are two bolts on the side of the sight, do I loosen both and pivit the houseing than tighten them back down?? I cannot find anything on their website that tells how to go about adjusting it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not familiar with that sight. Generally with second or third adjustments, you loosen one and tighten the other. If you don't have a third axis, you can shim your sight if needed.

JNDEER

WKR
Rosin - That would make sense. In the demo above it appeared that he loosened both, moved the houseing, than tightened them both back down. I know his sight is different than mine, but was curious as to how to get it adjusted correctly.

J-Daddy

WKR
Thanks for the heads up. I have the Super 7 and was wondering how exactly do I go about adjusting the third axis on it? There are two bolts on the side of the sight, do I loosen both and pivit the houseing than tighten them back down?? I cannot find anything on their website that tells how to go about adjusting it.

Man it's been awhile since I adjusted that style so bear with me here on it...If I remember right on the dual bolt style on the older Super 7 you don't loosen both, you adjust one and it moves it one way, or adjust the other and it moves it the other way. I used to shoot that same sight but it's been probably 5 years since I had one of them and I've kinda forgot to be honest. If all else fails you can always call Black Gold and ask, they will gladly walk you through it....Talk to Ben or Dustin at Black Gold and they will answer any question you have.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barmar65....if always shooting level ground, 3rd axis will not come into play. 2nd axis is what will need to be adjusted for level ground.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I have a true glow microbrite and it doesnt have 3rd axis adjustment in he mount, but the level is adjustable. Is it possible to use the bubble level for the 3rd axis adjustment?

J-Daddy

WKR
I have a true glow microbrite and it doesnt have 3rd axis adjustment in he mount, but the level is adjustable. Is it possible to use the bubble level for the 3rd axis adjustment?

Yes, if it hinges the right way....A lot of sights, like the Sure Loc scopes, are adjusted that way.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great video guys! Well done - a tough subject to visualize, but you guys did great.

When I started shooting, almost none of them had 3rd axis adjustment so we shimmed our sights in front or behind the mounting screws to adjust it. Or you can custom bend the site in a vice :) Yep, done that too. Nothing to rattle loose - redneck 3rd axis!

Another way to do this is to line your pins up with the plumb bob line then check the level (after the 2nd axis is level).

It's a good idea to go out and shoot it afterward at the same distance on a steep up and downhill to see if you have any left/right issues. If your groups are consistent up and down, then you got it nailed. Sometimes it will take minor fine tuning after setting it in the shop to get it perfect.

Coop