Lever Action Hunters

P.S. anyone running a vortex crossfire 1-4x on a 30-30? I just acquired a nice ‘75 Marlin. I am installing skinner sights but, as mentioned by others above, I am not sure my eyes are going to be up to the task with iron sights. I may end up scoping her and was thinking about a reasonably priced 1-4x.

My vortex experience has been mostly positive. A range finder and a red dot had to go back to the shop but my binos and 3 other scopes have been good to me.

GLB

WKR
A couple of my lever guns. JM 45/70 Marlin on the right, 16.5”with Brockman sights. Winchester 1892 45 colt on the left. Both shoot very well. The 45/70 is a hammer.

Attachments

• 9B486EC9-4480-4D7F-94A7-53D3C7593799.jpeg
    9B486EC9-4480-4D7F-94A7-53D3C7593799.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 38

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got a model 99 in .243 that was handed down from my grandpa who recently passed. Mounted a fixed 4 weaver on it and cleaned it up. My dad also told me I could have his model 99 in .300 savage. It's a little rough but will definitely be a project in the coming months. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow

++ on the 444 Marlin love Diamond K. I love mine topped with a 2x7 red dot. 260gr Hornady flat noses shoot great but those leverrevolutions are pretty amazing. Shrinks the group by half to an inch plus and great on deer. 300gr handloads are for hogs.

I need to get out with my 348 and 250 Savage. Haven't killed anything with either rifle and they're great handling, pointing shooters!

COTW

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Here's the model 99 .243 I got handed down from my grandpa. I had it engraved with his name and tribal seal. Beautiful rifle. Took this picture up near his lifelong hunting spot where we spread his ashes
View attachment 255780
Very nice rifle! The engraving looks good. I have the savage 99 in .308 from my grandpa. I'll look up the vintage and get back to you, but it's been in my possession for over 20 years now.

I've actually recently decided to dust it off and hunt with it this year. Any recommendations for a scope and mounts for that rifle?

Cheers!

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice rifle! The engraving looks good. I have the savage 99 in .308 from my grandpa. I'll look up the vintage and get back to you, but it's been in my possession for over 20 years now.

I've actually recently decided to dust it off and hunt with it this year. Any recommendations for a scope and mounts for that rifle?

Cheers!
I have some nice newer rifles and still find myself grabbing grandpas old savage more often then not, you'll love it.
As far as the scope goes I went with a fixed weaver 4 power with 2 piece bases. But has it already been drilled and tapped for a scope? If it hasn't I would use open sights before drilling an old rifle

Saml_Stmb

FNG
I have some nice newer rifles and still find myself grabbing grandpas old savage more often then not, you'll love it.
As far as the scope goes I went with a fixed weaver 4 power with 2 piece bases. But has it already been drilled and tapped for a scope? If it hasn't I would use open sights before drilling an old rifle
Yes. It has been tapped for a scope already. I'll check out the weaver scopes. Thanks!

Saml_Stmb

FNG
For Savage 99s that haven't been D&T, the Lightfoot mount is a great way to go without ruining any possible collector value, along with the Savage logo on the front receiver ring.
Great recommendation. I'll check the Lightfoot mounts out.

It looks like my Savage is a 1963 based on the S/N. Anybody have any neat Savage 99 trivia related to particular model years?

Cheers!

BigMuleyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My Grandpa bought a Marlin 336 30-30 years ago. There's no telling how many critters he shot with it in Oklahoma, Alaska, and Wyoming. My Grandma used it to kill her first elk sometime back in the 70's. A spike that they tracked through the snow and shot at about 50 yards. Later my Uncle used it to kill his first deer. When I became old enough to hunt my Grandpa lent it to me and I killed my first deer with it. After me, my brothers both used it on their first deer and before we knew it, it had become a right of passage for any new hunter in our family! Eventually, my Mom even used it to shoot her first animal. I took my wife, before we were married, and she shot her first antelope with it.
A few years ago, my Grandpa gave it to me and it is my most prized possession! It's beat to heck and sure isn't a pretty gun anymore, but it's a shooter! I've got two daughters and someday, they will use that same gun, open sights and all, on their first hunt. It's definitely a challenge to get within range and to use open sights, but it really adds to the memory of that first hunt.
I wish I had a picture of that gun, but I have a picture of my first deer back in 2003 that I shot with it! #beforekuiu&sitkawehadbluejeans&sneakers

Attachments

• 2003-My Deer (1).jpg
    2003-My Deer (1).jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 57

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I'll try and get some more, cause this thread deserves to stay alive.

nPCEGe8.jpg

Taking a break with the ponies. 1972 444 Marlin. Bubba'd up with 20" barrel and straight stock. Favourite pack rifle.

3F845E94-C710-4DA0-9CA6-AD2763E0D3BA.jpeg

My 1975 336 Texan in “turdy-turdy” has slayed a few score of deer. I even took it Caribou hunting on a 40 mile trip that probed unfruitful. It has an Aimpoint 9000 on it these days, and shoots damn well for what it is. I have loaded a variety of rounds for it, from 95gr plinkers with Trailboss, to heavy 180’s.