Lever Action Hunters

robtattoo

WKR
Ugh. This thread sucks. It reminded me that I’ve had a lever action on my “guns I need” list. Thankfully I’ve decided going forward to do my best to only shoot suppressed.... And a suppressor on one of these beauties would be sinful, right? (And please do not correct my impression that only tactical lever actions come threaded.)

I mean..........
marlin-1894-1.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
No, thanks @robtattoo. That’s probably a limited edition, made with Unobtainium, threaded by some long-dead GS, and chambered in some small Russian pistol caliber. (Please confirm.) Because if I’m wrong, and that’s in 444, 45-70 or some other bear and deer killin’ caliber, that would cause me to do some serious research and debating, with the end result that I would own one very similar. And hopefully no other members will post pictures of anything as awesome.

robtattoo

WKR
Yep. I was thinking the same thing when I figured out Marlin recently brought the 444 back in an 1895 lever action. I need to do some more research, at least for better pictures to see if the front sight is back far enough to make it a simple threading job. Then is the front post tall enough for a suppressor? You see where I’m going - talking myself out of into getting one.

If I can't be a good example, at least I can be a bad influence! 😈

Well just pick up a new stainless or dark series Marlin 1894 in 357 or 44 and it comes already threaded and for what it's worth the dark series also comes in 444 and 45/70.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Well just pick up a new stainless or dark series Marlin 1894 in 357 or 44 and it comes already threaded and for what it's worth the dark series also comes in 444 and 45/70.
I've definitely thought about that, but I didn't see a Dark in 444 on the Marlin site. Also, not that it is insurmountable, but the Dark just doesn't have the same beauty to me as the wood options like the regular 444 and the 444 150th anniversary editions.

I've definitely thought about that, but I didn't see a Dark in 444 on the Marlin site. Also, not that it is insurmountable, but the Dark just doesn't have the same beauty to me as the wood options like the regular 444 and the 444 150th anniversary editions.
It's not listed on the site for some reason or another but I've seen them in the stores and know a few guys off the Marlin owners site that purchased them, I think Henry is also making one with a threaded barrel as well.

Don't just leave a brotha hanging....... give us some details!

Actually they’re tipping blocks, just a little different than falling blocks but the same general concept. Nothing too exciting really, just a few old, small cal. Stevens Crackshots that range from .22, .25, and .32 cal. and all are over 100 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually they’re tipping blocks, just a little different than falling blocks but the same general concept. Nothing too exciting really, just a few old, small cal. Stevens Crackshots that range from .22, .25, and .32 cal. and all are over 100 years old.

I think I know what rifle you speak of my uncle has one in 44 shot. If it's the same gun that is...they are a nifty little unit for sure.

You are right @Wmmichael20. No mention of them on the Marlin site, but I did a search and found that they have been for sale on a few sites (although like many firearms, they are no where to be found at the moment - other than on gunbroker). Just added the UPC to my expanding watch list on gun dot deals dot com.

My heart was somewhat set on a non-black tactical version, and ideally in 444. But then I searched for ammo and found only one online seller. 45-70 is a bit more widely available, but at much more expensive pricing- $4.50-$6 per round!

Finally, I realized that in my delusions last night, I forgot that I would need to buy a larger suppressor for a 444, 45-70, 35 Remington, etc. Maybe the 30-30 is the way to go anyway....
You could always swap the tacticool looking stock out for a sweet looking laminate one from Boyd's and that would be an eye catcher for sure.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased a Savage 99DL in .308. Made in 1961. 24” barrel. This thing shoots great, much better than I expected. The Savage 99 was so far ahead of its time! This will get regular use from me. Spend some range time and you get better than MOD accuracy.

ba4c0a8203c85e78c702412b0e2b2161.jpg

3a50a1f405c8fff0c45eb53d57e8a202.jpg

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Nice to see a lever gun thread on here.

I took my first deer with my mothers .30-30 Marlin 336. Unfortunately that gun got sold while I was stationed on Okinawa and I didn't get a chance to buy it.

I found one made in the early 80's in very good condition to go along with my 1894 chambered in .41 Rem Mag.

Both wear scopes. 2-7 on the .41 and a 3-9 on the .30-30. I found a good 4x that will go on the .30-30 eventually. My eyes are getting to the point a clear front site is just too hard to do and an accurate shot is more important than my pride.