Lever action

pk_

WKR
Marlin .32 wspl. It was my grandfathers and is my favorite firearm to hunt with.

It may just be because it is the first gun I started hunting with, but lever action is the most ‘natural’ feeling action to me...

TxxAgg

WKR
30-30 is super practical

I vote Marlin or Winchester if buying used. Henry if buying new.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
I killed the chubby blacktail in my profile picture with a .357 lever and buffalo bore 180gr. Smoked him at 10 yards with open sights.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1585349806097.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585349806097.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 29

Grumman

WKR
Here’s my old (1951) Winchester that is an absolute dream to carry. I packed around a heavy scoped bolt gun early season then pulled this out of the safe to finish the deal. A lever is hard to beat within the range of the caliber.

f3198afa5c5c14a589b2afcf6af773a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I love all the answers, but I’m trying to find a versitile gun. I feel like a 30-06+ limits it to only large game. I sorta like the .357, still light enough for small game and i can still use it to hunt deer... plus the rounds are 1.25$ a shot haha

I have two I love.

Winchester model 94 in 32 spl. Good deer cartridge. If I were plinking I would go this model in 30-30, lots of cheap ammo and capable of deer Hunting. I believe they are well under 6 lbs so great carry.

Also have browning blr in 358 Winchester. I very much appreciate how larger Bore/calibers kill.You here it a lot how accurate the blr is, mine is no exception. This caliber and the more powerful calibers the blr platform has options for make less a plinking to me.View attachment 164914
I'm beginning to agree with you on the killing power of larger bores.

check the used gun racks for an older Marlin 336. Make sure it says New Haven Connecticut, and has a JM stamped on the barrel near the receiver. 30-30 is most common and the best choice for all around use and ease of ammo finding. You can tell the year it as made by the serial number on the tang, take the first 2 digits and subtract it from 100. Example.... serial number 20xxxxxxxx 100-20 =80 = 1980 made. If the serial number starts with a letter its probably made 1940s-1950s era

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
check the used gun racks for an older Marlin 336. Make sure it says New Haven Connecticut, and has a JM stamped on the barrel near the receiver. 30-30 is most common and the best choice for all around use and ease of ammo finding. You can tell the year it as made by the serial number on the tang, take the first 2 digits and subtract it from 100. Example.... serial number 20xxxxxxxx 100-20 =80 = 1980 made. If the serial number starts with a letter its probably made 1940s-1950s era

Sadly... I’m in CA. So not a whole lot of “used guns” around my parts. But this is great information to be had and I’ll defiantly keep this handy because there is a few stores around me that I like to go into from time to time and check out what’s collecting dust.

Sadly... I’m in CA. So not a whole lot of “used guns” around my parts. But this is great information to be had and I’ll defiantly keep this handy because there is a few stores around me that I like to go into from time to time and check out what’s collecting dust.

Im in CA too, ive found a few at local shops and a few I have from CalGuns classifieds. hunt around, people want more and more money for them every year since remmington took over marlin and started producing junk. $600 is a common price people ask but I never pay more than $400 for a 30-30. There are literally tons of these rifles floating around. everybodies uncle or grandpa has one and sometimes they don't know better and sell em for $250

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Im in CA too, ive found a few at local shops and a few I have from CalGuns classifieds. hunt around, people want more and more money for them every year since remmington took over marlin and started producing junk. $600 is a common price people ask but I never pay more than $400 for a 30-30. There are literally tons of these rifles floating around. everybodies uncle or grandpa has one and sometimes they don't know better and sell em for $250

Any chance you’d sell one that you got hahah

With some more research and going through my collection I’m actually going to go with a 30-30 not a .357 mag