lever gun pressure signs to look for?

MThuntr

WKR
Got me a MT Moose tag and I'm thinking of giving the 45-70 a first chance at a bull.

Does anyone have a good list of things to watch for when loading lever guns?

I'm thinking the 276 or 300gr Sledge Hammers (Hammer Bullets) in my Marlin SBL 45-70 will be my bullets to test. Hoping to get some 4198 or similar powder paired with fresh Starline brass and either Rem or Federal primers.

I've always tended to keep my lever gun loads pretty mild as they tended to be more of a novelty to shoot than a serious hunting option. I've read some threads to track velocity but these bullets don't have a lot of info out there except for 2 or 3 guys tinkering with potentials. Some forums threads say extraction resistance but I've also read that by the time you see pressure signs you're already dangerous. Same goes for trying to read primers...lots of variables.

Rich M

WKR
My two cousins have shot bears and moose w 45/70 and factory ammo.

I’d work up a mid level load and if it seems to eject easily, run with it.

If You take a bolt to the face, it was probably on the hot side

For real though, I avoid hot-Rodding my marlin. with hammer bullets I would review what load data you have for them, along with other similar weight mono-bullets. Barnes has some good data for their 250 and 300 grain bullets online you can check out. See if the data is pretty similar, then load to what you feel comfortable with. I personally never exceed max data in my lever gun, but if I was seeing lots of case stretch, cratered primers, or extraction issues I would definitely consider that a sign to back off.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you end up in a YouTube video like KY Ballistics, you loaded too hot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I made the mistake of using leverevolution powder. Even at starting loads, my 30-30 was locking up the bolt and making cycling near impossible. My gunsmith checked the rifle and said he’d seen more leverguns destroyed from that powder than any other. I went back to standard old school powders and no more problems.

dla

WKR
There are no reliable "pressure signs" with the 45-70 Marlin. So stick to published load data.
H4198 if you can find it. And definitely get ahold of the bullet manufacturer for load data. If you have a chronograph, stay at or below 2000fps for 300gr from an 18.5".

I've been loading for a guide gun for 20yrs and a little over 2k rounds of cast and jacketed. I've used so many powders that I hate typing th3m out - but H4198 is my fave. And Starline brass is also my fave.