LH Mountain Rifle - Custom GS Build vs Prefit DIY Build

gunrush128

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all! I've recently booked a Newfoundland moose hunt, and have future plans for some DIY elk hunts. This has prompted me to start searching for an appropriate lightweight rifle, and given that I shoot left-handed, it's clear that my factory rifle options are very limited. After exploring what I can (or cannot) buy off-the-shelf, I've landed on either a full custom rifle built by a gunsmith, or a DIY build using a prefitted barrel/action combo. There are a few discussions I've found on this, but it seems like they are somewhat outdated with the fairly new fitted shoulder barrels.

I'm looking for suggestions one way or the other. I have a high level of mechanical aptitude, but I've never built a bolt gun from the ground up. For the most part, it seems pretty straight forward, especially with guaranteed headspace barrels from proof and carbon six. Where I'm a little concerned is stock fitment and bedding, as well as trigger timing. How much do I need to worry about these?

Here are my goals;

• Left handed action
  • Smooth bolt throw
  • 6.5lb or lighter including scope base
  • 20"-22" carbon wrapped barrel w/blended directional brake
  • 1/2 MOA accuracy or better

Here is a list of specs I'm considering/contemplating;

• Action - I'm leaning towards lightweight SS instead of Ti or Al options. Considering Kelbly's Atlas, Defiance Deviant, Lone Peak Razor, Gunwerks GLR SS
  • Chamber - Back and forth between 300wsm and 7mm Rem primarily because I have reloading components for both
  • Barrel - Proof Research or Carbon Six carbon wrapped 20" or 22" plus blended directional brake
  • Bottom Metal - TBD
  • Trigger - TBD - Good quality single stage - Open to suggestions
  • Stock - Leaning towards Gunwerks Magnus
  • Optics - Leupold Mk5 3-18x44 (already own)
Another quick note; I was originally considering the Defiance anTiX action, however, I've heard of some issues of scope clearance to the bolt handle, especially with more compact scope. I think that rules out the anTiX for me, especially considering that the Mk5 Alumina scope cap has the thumb release on the left side, further intruding on the bolt handle clearance.

Sorry for the long-winded post! Hoping to make the right decision the first time, especially considering the amount of money that goes into a build like this. Looking forward to some input!

Spoonbill

WKR
You can get a Tikka 300wsm that will be close to what you want on weight and accuracy. I would also look at American Rifle Company actions. I believe they use prefit savage barrels so you could install it yourself and it would fit in the gunwerks stock.

Broomd

WKR
Hello all! I've recently booked a Newfoundland moose hunt, and have future plans for some DIY elk hunts. This has prompted me to start searching for an appropriate lightweight rifle, and given that I shoot left-handed, it's clear that my factory rifle options are very limited. After exploring what I can (or cannot) buy off-the-shelf, I've landed on either a full custom rifle built by a gunsmith, or a DIY build using a prefitted barrel/action combo. There are a few discussions I've found on this, but it seems like they are somewhat outdated with the fairly new fitted shoulder barrels.

I'm looking for suggestions one way or the other. I have a high level of mechanical aptitude, but I've never built a bolt gun from the ground up. For the most part, it seems pretty straight forward, especially with guaranteed headspace barrels from proof and carbon six. Where I'm a little concerned is stock fitment and bedding, as well as trigger timing. How much do I need to worry about these?

Here are my goals;

• Left handed action
  • Smooth bolt throw
  • 6.5lb or lighter including scope base
  • 20"-22" carbon wrapped barrel w/blended directional brake
  • 1/2 MOA accuracy or better

Here is a list of specs I'm considering/contemplating;

• Action - I'm leaning towards lightweight SS instead of Ti or Al options. Considering Kelbly's Atlas, Defiance Deviant, Lone Peak Razor, Gunwerks GLR SS
  • Chamber - Back and forth between 300wsm and 7mm Rem primarily because I have reloading components for both
  • Barrel - Proof Research or Carbon Six carbon wrapped 20" or 22" plus blended directional brake
  • Bottom Metal - TBD
  • Trigger - TBD - Good quality single stage - Open to suggestions
  • Stock - Leaning towards Gunwerks Magnus
  • Optics - Leupold Mk5 3-18x44 (already own)
Another quick note; I was originally considering the Defiance anTiX action, however, I've heard of some issues of scope clearance to the bolt handle, especially with more compact scope. I think that rules out the anTiX for me, especially considering that the Mk5 Alumina scope cap has the thumb release on the left side, further intruding on the bolt handle clearance.

Sorry for the long-winded post! Hoping to make the right decision the first time, especially considering the amount of money that goes into a build like this. Looking forward to some input!
Make it especailly fun and shoot for 5.5lbs. A bases-only gun at 6.5 isn't really that light. Just my .02.

Deucebump

WKR
Just stumbled on this thread/post. Just curious where ya ended up and what ya got weight wise?