Lica Bino/Rangfinder Combo

Rocky

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with these? I want to up grade my binos and would like to stop carrying a separate piece of equipment to range something.

Jager

WKR
A mate uses a set, simply because at the time Swaro didn't do them. Remember everyones eyes are different, and my eyes don't completely agree with Leicas. Saying that though, they are a quality piece of gear and the rangefinder works superbly.

shaun

WKR
Some people love them some people hate them. Also depends on if you want angle comp leica doesnt offer that.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had my Geovids for about 6-7 yrs and have nothing bad to say about them, in fact I consider them my best hunting purchase for rifle hunting. They are bright, clear, the rangefinder seldom does not get a read in all kinds of weather and they are bombproof. For me I give them a gold star:)

Take them out for a test run, that's the only way to know for sure.

At first I also liked the idea of an integrated set, but after just a short period of use found that the extra 6-7 ounces on the neck wasn't worth the consolidation, especially since there is no net weight savings. It is cool being able to rapidly range while glassing, however, it just wasn't for me. The quality of the Leica set is very, very good, however, and I would recommend their's or the Swaro's if you're set on this route.

Kotaman

WKR
Just posted about this topic on another forum. Here you go: I've owned the Leica Geovid BRF's, the Swarovski EL Range, and the Zeiss Victory RF's. I currently have the new Leica Geovid HD - B's on order.

*Leica Geovid BRF's - Mine were lemons. Went back to Leica 3 times and never did range anything very well. I have two buddies with the BRF's and they have had no problems and love theirs. Excellent Glass. No angle comp.

*Swarovski EL Range - I bought these because they are the only of the "Big 3" with angle compensation. Awesome glass and great rangefinder unit. The downside to the Swaro's is that the minimum range is 33 yards. Not a big deal for a rifle guy, but for a bow guy in the mountains, this is not a good thing and frankly, is a big deal. The rangefinder also had some issues when the temps were below 20 degrees.

*Zeiss Victory RF's - Best rangefinder of the three by far. The beam divergence is better than the other two, but optically they are not as good as the Swaro or Leica. Mine would pick up ANYTHING and ANY yardage in ANY temperature and do it VERY fast. If angle compensation isn't a big deal, this unit is tops IMO.

Overall, you can't go wrong with any of these units. They are all optically fantastic and each ranging unit has it's own intricacies. For me, to rank them in order it would go - Zeiss, Swaro, Leica. With that said, I do have the new Leica Geovid HD- B's on order.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

WKR
I want the angle comp. i must have been mistaken because i thought the new lica's had the angle comp. if they dont then it looks like I need to look closer at the Swaros.

Thanks for the info

Kotaman

WKR
It is my understanding they have angle comp but only beyond 100 yards....Why can"t anyone make a perfect unit? Zeiss beam, Swarovski Angle Comp. and Leica glass.