Lid on MR Pop up

elkyinzer

WKR
I have been playing around with a lid on mine and noticed MR changed the buckles since the NICE frame. Trying to get the Alpine lid I run on my NICE frame on there. Quick switcheroo on the PU frame buckles takes care of it, but reduces the versatility/convenience factor just a bit. The width difference isn't ideal either. Would be kinda nice if they had kept buckles standard across their platforms for modularity, seem to be going more cookie cutter approach, but oh well.

Wondering what others have done, or if there is a similar off-the-shelf lid that works plug and play with the frame?

That said, I am just about head over heels with this frame. It is doing everything I need it to. The primary reason I picked it up was to haul my treesaddle hunting gear, and late season when I am packing a boatload of clothes, the lid would really help with organization and load distribution. But I haven't picked up another backpack since I got it in March. Scouting, turkey hunting, fishing, family stuff, even a wedding weekend I grabbed it instead of my duffle bag. When I take it elk hunting I like having a lid just for organization and potential meat packing as well.

LHPv75O.jpg

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work! That is a good hack on how to add more volume to the Pop Up 28. Sweet pack.

I have used the smaller Pop Up 18 for archery antelope, and it carries just what you need for day, but still can haul meat when things go right.

OP
elkyinzer

elkyinzer

WKR
I am a big fan of lids in general and pretty much always run one with my Metcalf. Great for organization alone, and even moreso with larger loads they aid in compression and proper weight distribution keeping that center of gravity contained and away from the temptation to let the load bulge out into no man's land.

Certainly for my Pop Up application, it's more of a late-season deal when packing bulky winter clothes, but I think I would tend to run an elk daypack that way too. Even gives you the option to make it a legit weekend bivy pack. I think the frame is a lot more versatile than even MR is taking credit for.