Decisions of a 23 year old/2019 Hunts

Cml5895

FNG
Hello all! I need you guys to help me decide my future. As a little background, 23 years old currently living in Western New York. I have a full time job as a construction project manager which is very comfortable for me. I travel out west several times annually to hunt and I know that NY is not where I want to live my entire life and I have always felt a strong need to move away from home. Earlier this week I received a message from an outfitter who I have hunted with several times in Colorado. He asked if I would be interested in coming out this August and learning to guide for elk with his outfit. Currently have no wife, no kids, and I am not getting any younger. I know I want to work hard and do something I really love doing, which I think for three months of the year this opportunity would be it. The only thing holding me back is the rest of the 9 months of the year. I have a significant amount of debt from school that I am handling just fine with my current situation, but that would change with a big move.

If you were in this situation, what would you do? I know that I will end up regretting not making a move early on in my life. Any advice is appreciated!

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
With a minimal amount of information and not knowing you at all, you can find ways to make money. You cant make those memories and opportunities again. This is coming from a 27 yr old...and so far so good on my decisions HA

There are jobs related to what you do out in that area (cousin did the same position as you in Boulder CO). Can just be open that you are guiding in the fall and see what they say and work with you on.

Or pull the Randy Newberg way and be a CPA accountant and no one cares where you are until Spring

I moved from from Iowa to Colorado into a shakey sub-lease and a seasonal job.

That was about five years ago and I'm still here. Last year, we bought a house and just turned 30.

I would do it and see if you can find a construction company to hire you after the guiding season. I doubt you could find one to let you off the last three busy months of the construction season going forward though.

I'm in the construction industry on the front range, not that I have any expert advice but feel free to pm me if you like.

Btaylor

WKR
I am a big proponent of chasing your dreams but I would encourage you to get your debt cleared before making big changes or taking big chances. Only you can decide what pursuits will make life rewarding to you. Life is short so pursue the things that make you happy. Understand those choices are not always the ones that provide the most income but there is an awful lot to life that has nothing to do with income.

Trial153

WKR
I am all for leaving NY asap. That said I would look for something more Lucrative and long term then guiding. It's a good second income if you dont mind sacrificing your hobby however it's not something to build a future on.

Fullfan

WKR
I am also a huge supporter of you only love once. But something very important that we don't think of when we are younger, is good pension and health benefits. Being able to retire and be stable is a huge factor. I chose an occupation when I was 25 that permitted me to retire at 49. And another lil piece of life. The wife and kids thing can happen in a blink of an eye. And then your dreams and priority's all change. You are 23 now you will be 50 before you know it....

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been in your shoes. Same age too. Moving out west had always been my dream. I went A&P school in Pittsburgh and a week before graduation, I got a phone call from an outfit in Sheridan Wyoming offering me a job to come work on smoke jumper planes and charter planes that flew into Yellowstone and all the way up to Anchorage certain parts of the year. I turned it down because the girlfriend doesn’t like the snow Now I’m engaged, have a home, and a pretty damn good paying job, but I regret not taking that job and chasing my dreams every day. Typing this up even makes me sick. You can always make more money, but you can never make more time, and chances like you have to guide are few and far between. You can’t always go, but you can always come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take this advice.

If you have the cash, Drop what you are doing, quite your job and RIGHT NOW MOVE before you catch the scent of some mare in NY and then have babies and then your tied down.

Western NY is ruled by knuckleheads from long island. and the big city. No thanks.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
To me the guiding offer was just the push I needed to seriously start thinking about a move in my life. If it works out that I can do it, all the better. I had two of my best friends move last year, one to Sheridan, WY and the other to Salt Lake City, UT. I pushed them both to take the jump and move, but I was tied up with a girl who wasn't going to go anywhere away from home. Thanks everyone for the advice so far, I really do appreciate it.

cnelk

WKR
LOTS of jobs in Colorado doing what you do right now.
I could make a phone call and get you a job today.

When I was 25, I moved from Minnesota to Colorado [over 30 yrs ago now] and it was the best thing I ever did.

Not sure about the 'guiding' thing tho. More like a 3 month baby sitting job.

Sure it sounds sexy, but if you like to hunt yourself, when do you plan on doing that?

HPG2018

FNG
Plenty of jobs out west. Go now while you can, sounds like you do not have much keeping you in NY and you want to be out west.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I'm a PM on the front range. There are not enough PMs, APMs, and PEs to go around right now. You could always give guiding a shot and if it doesn't work out, I bet you would have no problem getting picked up by a GC.

The student loan debt gives me pause though. How long do you have left to pay?

Yooper

WKR
When I was close to your age I had an offer to move to Alaska and guide on the Kenai River every June through most of September. I absolutely LOVED fishing and was certain it was going to be my lifelong passion. I spent some time talking to a close friend of mine at the time who had spent four years up there doing the same thing and he gave me some sound advice. He said, "don't turn something you love to do into a job. You'll never love it again." I didn't take the job and to this day I don't regret it. My current career has allowed me to travel all over. From fishing in Alaska and western lower 48 to hunting elk in Wyoming, whitetail in remote northern Ontario and more adventures to come. My interests have changed over the years and I've been able to afford to chase them. Maybe not as far and wide as I would hope, but some damn great experiences. To me, it sounds like you're looking to get out of NY. You're young, do it now, but also try to get started on a career that may be more sustaining in the future. What ever it is you choose, best wishes.....the years go by all too fast!

tntrker

WKR
Start looking now for a job out there that would suit you. That way you can start your time with another company/firm before seasons start again in the fall. Keep relations up with that guide offer and in a few years use your vacation as "guide testing grounds". Maybe pass up a few years of hunting and "shadow" with the outfitter to see how you both would like the fit.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
I'm a PM on the front range. There are not enough PMs, APMs, and PEs to go around right now. You could always give guiding a shot and if it doesn't work out, I bet you would have no problem getting picked up by a GC.

The student loan debt gives me pause though. How long do you have left to pay?
I graduated with a Bachelor's in Sustainable Construction Management back in May 2018. I have been paying it off pretty aggressively but still have about 6 years left if I maintain this rate.

*zap*

WKR
It is hard to be happy if you are not somewhat secure financially so being able to pay the bills is important. On the other end some people become obsessed with $ and high lifestyle. I would not live in NY for any amount of $. Three month a year job may be good if you can find a way to make $ the other nine months. Good luck to you!

Rich M

WKR
Many folks who tell you to follow your dreams or to take risks have nothing to lose in the proposition.

From what I see thru my opinion-colored-glasses is that you are in a good spot to "succeed" big time. You are 23 and it seems like you are in a better spot than most guys twice your age. Use your education and grow your career wisely. Don't go work for some guy for peanuts, not your best decision.

I also think you should go and talk to a financial adviser - get a plan together that allows you to fund an early retirement and be done working in 30 years or less.

Conroy

WKR
I agree with everyone here about moving now while you can. I would advise having your finances in order before trying your hand at guiding, or as others said, try it for the season and have a job in your field after. Whatever you choose, get out of NY. I left there in 2002 and haven't even visited the state once since.