Decisions of a 23 year old/2019 Hunts

From the time I was 23 till now (29) I got married, purchased a home, had 2 kids and worked a whole bunch and hunted less than I want. I wouldn't change a thing about my life today. I have found a level of satisfaction with family life that I couldn't find in a lifetime in the woods. Obviously this desire isn't for everyone and some actively choose to avoid it.

I only say this because if you had offered me the chance to be a guide at 23 I just might have done it and missed out on the benefits of a good paying job and time with my family. Obviously you can be a successful well paid outfitter but my take of it is most do it because they love it. You can't pay debt and feed a family with your passion.

I am all for people moving to where they want to be. If you want to move west do it today. I would just suggest you do it in a way that keeps a consistent paycheck coming in to get your debts cleared.

Good luck!

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
wherever you find yourself, make sure you're making Money. a Broke man is a Kids with a real man's dream. Financial freedom comes first and everything will fall into place.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
I am all for people moving to where they want to be. If you want to move west do it today. I would just suggest you do it in a way that keeps a consistent paycheck coming in to get your debts cleared.

Good luck!

Thank you for that advice. By no means is the drive in me to move out of state solely based on hunting. If I can secure a job in a place I love to live with similar or even a slight pay cut, that would be huge for me. I know how to budget and make things work. I definitely would like a family, but I don't want that family to grow up in New York state.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
No one in their right mind would want to live in New York so I understand wanting to get out. That being said debt can cripple a man. I'd do everything in my power to get rid of the debt as quickly as possible then chase any dream you have. Debt = dream killer

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
Do it now while you are young. If it doesn't work out you can always move back "home".

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
.... I have a full time job... which is very comfortable for me.... I travel out west several times annually to hunt .......an outfitter who I have hunted with several times in Colorado.....

Based on the above which I have boiled your post down to, I wouldn't change a single thing. Keep on keeping on and making that money. You are already doing what most (including myself) only wish they could do......

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Find a good paying job in your field out west and make the move. Still getting out of NY. Easier access to hunting. And, most importantly, can get out of debt to have freedom to take lower paying or less secure job.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add the time value of money, lots of folks for chasing a dream while young and I agree about moving before your have roots, but starting retirement savings early (20's) is vital to retiring early outside of a lucrative salary.

Someone mentioned Randy Newberg. He paid his dues early a CPA to have the freedom to do what he does today. And he advocates no debt.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Based on the above which I have boiled your post down to, I wouldn't change a single thing. Keep on keeping on and making that money. You are already doing what most (including myself) only wish they could do......

I am very, very blessed to live the way I do, and I do work hard to make sure I can. But like I said my position is comfortable in a state/area that I am not in love with. It sounds awfully stupid but I don't want comfortable. I have a deep down passion to move out of state and live a life in an area that I enjoy each and every day. The elk population is pretty lack luster in Buffalo, NY.

I have family around Cazenovia, beautiful place. I visit out there every other year and enjoy every minute out there. I wouldn't have any reservations about raising a family there, not my number one choice but there is a lot of good over there.

Pay your debt off. Financial freedom will allow you to chase any dream you want. Life doesn't end at 30, or 40 or 50. Set yourself up for success and good things will happen.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
I have family around Cazenovia, beautiful place. I visit out there every other year and enjoy every minute out there.
Caz is a very nice area. I spent 4 years of college hunting there often. It is more the direction of the state than the landscape of the state that is driving me out. Spending time out west, I find it harder and harder to come back each and every time.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I am very, very blessed to live the way I do, and I do work hard to make sure I can. But like I said my position is comfortable in a state/area that I am not in love with. It sounds awfully stupid but I don't want comfortable. I have a deep down passion to move out of state and live a life in an area that I enjoy each and every day. The elk population is pretty lack luster in Buffalo, NY.

You are young.....I am 40....when I was in my early 20s I lived in Colorado....not Denver.....I lived in a ski town on the front range for awhile and then went to another one deeper in. It was a great experience, but I have alot less in my retirement account and am a little behind my college peers who were back east in the cities working while I was living in places I loved. It's all a tradeoff bud. If you can afford to go out west "several times a year", I really wouldn't change a thing. Living and working somewhere is alot different than being on vacation/a hunting trip there.

Caz is a very nice area. I spent 4 years of college hunting there often. It is more the direction of the state than the landscape of the state that is driving me out. Spending time out west, I find it harder and harder to come back each and every time.
I live in Washington state, albeit on the Wa/Id state line. My city is generally red, my county is generally red but the state is run by Seattle and King county. Idaho is ran by Boise, Colorado is ran by Denver. The landscape of the west is getting bluer and bluer by the day. I understand voting with your pocket book but the grass isn't always greener.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
I really wouldn't change a thing. Living and working somewhere is alot different than being on vacation/a hunting trip there.

It's all stuff I am battling with in my head now. Stay complacent and possibly regret it or take a risk. Either way I do appreciate your advice on this!

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Life’s too short. If it’s what you want to do go and try it. Everyone always preaches retirement, retirement, retirement......... when these threads pop up on forums. Although I agree planning for your future is important you will never get these years back. At your age and with a college education in your chosen field you have very little to lose. I say go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Personally I would make the move and find a similar job, skip the guiding part. Yeah sounds like fun babysitting a bunch of older guys that will know more then you and let you know that, only to get a big enough tip to cover fuel for a few weeks.

Make the move and enjoy the outdoors for yourself.

ChrisAU

WKR
Do it before you get married and have kids! I'll echo the others, just look for a job in your field. If I had discovered western hunting, or just the west in general, at 23 then there is zero doubt that's where I'd be right now.