Lifestraws for $10

rcb2000

WKR
On the site named after a river in South America (not sure if we can name that site, on another forum you weren't allowed)

Are these worth it as a backup/emergency option? Or not worth the weight to carry? Not real familiar with them...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
They weigh 2 oz and work great to just take a quick sip out of a creek or stream, I always have one in my pack.

Vandy321

WKR
I keep one as a backup in case my katadyn filter freezes. The life straw stays dry/unused until then. As mentioned, it weighs virtually nothing. Paid $30 for mine or so, $10 is awesome

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve had one for years. I’d personally never take it hunting. The only time I ever really use mine is when I’m fishing rivers. It is a fantastic replacement for a water bottle in that situation for me. Killer deal on them for $10 though.

Not worth the money or weight carrying this item. Another useless profit maker from some retailer. If you are in a true survival situation, just go commando and drink the water from the source you find. Its all a gamble anyway. You can worry about sickness when you get back to civilization.

treillw

WKR
Not worth the money or weight carrying this item. Another useless profit maker from some retailer. If you are in a true survival situation, just go commando and drink the water from the source you find. Its all a gamble anyway. You can worry about sickness when you get back to civilization.

How so?

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody ever used one? At 6’4”, I suspect it makes it harder to use, be curious to hear reviews.
Thanks

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I keep one as a backup in case my katadyn filter freezes. The life straw stays dry/unused until then. As mentioned, it weighs virtually nothing. Paid $30 for mine or so, $10 is awesome

I'm with Vandy - just have one in my pack for emergencies. Sawyer squeeze is my main filter.

fmyth

WKR

Why take the risk when it can be mitigated for $10? I contracted Giardia 25 years ago. For me it was like having the stomach flu that just wouldn't go away. After 3 weeks of horrible flu like symptoms I ended up in the ER. It took a week for the high dose oral antibiotics to give me any relief and over a month to feel "cured". 25 years later I still have GI issues caused by the Giardia (or possibly the antibiotics) that will never go away.

treillw

WKR
Why take the risk when it can be mitigated for $10? I contracted Giardia 25 years ago. For me it was like having the stomach flu that just wouldn't go away. After 3 weeks of horrible flu like symptoms I ended up in the ER. It took a week for the high dose oral antibiotics to give me any relief and over a month to feel "cured". 25 years later I still have GI issues caused by the Giardia (or possibly the antibiotics) that will never go away.

My dad had it years ago. Said that he never crapped so bad in all his life and he was farting just about every minute.

Counting all the cows I've seen standing in the water, drinking it unfiltered doesn't sound like a good idea, although I might appreciate being able to fart every minute for a little while....