Lifted Subaru

I love my Lesbaru and if it costs me my man card then so be it.

The hostility so many folks have against the very existance of Subies is so weird to me... I think it may have something to do with a feel of inadequacy over spending 50k on a pickup truck and seeing a vehicle that can do 80% of what their truck can do that costs way less and gets 25mpg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its not their existence its just that they are completely overrated. My wife's 03 Forrester was essentially at the same level of technology as my 82 CJ8. A very basic car. Absolutely nothing special about it. Seats were about as uncomfortable as stock seats in an 82 jeep too. The wind noise on that 03 over 55MPH was over the top loud.

As far as 80% of what a 50k truck can do. No - not even close. To any nearly any truck (i.e., no need to spend 50k). Start with towing and rated payload capacity, and you will begin a long list.

I'm not begrudging you or your Subaru and I'm glad that it suits you. But that doesn't preclude my opinion. I think there are a lot better vehicles out there.

You'll still need to turn in your man card though.

RoJo

WKR
I commute to work in an '01 Impreza that has just shy of 250k on it and is still going strong. "Love" is too strong a word, but it's been a great car. I don't think I would bother trying to lift one. I have actually taken mine hunting a few times where I wasn't straying far off the pavement, but I don't think I would ever make one my dedicated hunting rig. I have a truck for that...

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
2.5 inch front, 3 inch rear, 3 inch trailing arm spacers Subie lift OZ lift kit. Wheels and tires! Did head gaskets, head studs, plained the heads, radiator, water pump, timing belt, etc, etc, etc. Never over heated, just knew gaskets we’re starting to leak. Tinted the windows, rear diff skid plate, rubber Subaru all weather floor mats. I am the second owner. Bought from little old lady. Original 88,000 miles! No accidents! No rust! No leaks! Original paint! Car needs nothing! Everything works! All work was performed in the last 6,000 miles!

Here is the description he posted. Sounds like he took care of the common issues before they became a problem. From his FB profile he must have worked at a Subaru dealer for a while or been affiliated with it in some way other than being a normal customer.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
The rest of the pictures he sent me privately.

Attachments

• 8A650E63-397D-4AA0-87F3-6EBC5E2C8E4A.jpeg
    8A650E63-397D-4AA0-87F3-6EBC5E2C8E4A.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 66
  • ABA16C29-2A74-4870-9AF6-30B65C03F12E.jpeg
    ABA16C29-2A74-4870-9AF6-30B65C03F12E.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 66
  • BBB1BC34-B7CE-49D6-AAE7-2C8CB6003474.jpeg
    BBB1BC34-B7CE-49D6-AAE7-2C8CB6003474.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 66
  • D462294E-1880-4B6B-A850-E966D9F45015.jpeg
    D462294E-1880-4B6B-A850-E966D9F45015.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 66
  • E0D6252F-84B8-4C8E-BCA5-EDF4AABD09F6.jpeg
    E0D6252F-84B8-4C8E-BCA5-EDF4AABD09F6.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 66
  • 14B70E5D-7502-4A2B-83CD-2A64346D60CD.jpeg
    14B70E5D-7502-4A2B-83CD-2A64346D60CD.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 80C059DA-ECC4-447A-92C6-81C96C64B650.jpeg
    80C059DA-ECC4-447A-92C6-81C96C64B650.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 63

87TT

WKR
I think the guy is way over priced. At the end of the day no matter what you do to it, it's still and old car. Old cars are like wack a mole. This from a guy who has a 1987 Suzuki Samurai, 1999 ford f150 and a 2000 Nissan frontier. If you can't work on them yourself, you're in deep doodoo. My wife has the "new" car and it is a 2009 Forrester.

Go for it. Ask if he has any documentation on the work. I keep all my receipts when I make repairs. You could also look at an older Chevy Colorado, Toyota Tacoma or similar smaller truck. A little better mileage than full size.

87TT

WKR
I knew a kid Ca who had one and he got a ticket and had to buy commercial plates because he took out the seats.

looks like the kit lowers the engine/transmission/front differential, and the rear differential. Should help with cv axle life. Must have just been after looks, they didn't bother to fix that exhaust....that was lowered along with the engine. It should be up very near that heat shield.

In the end, the bigger tires make the gear ratio taller...….and that car doesn't have low range.

And yes, at the 100k timing belt interval, do the headgaskets or you will be doing them in the next 20-50k

have to agree about it being bottom line a 17 year old vehicle. things unseen start to dry out and crumble.price sounds high but i understand the owner looking to get more because of the extras. that year model had head gasket issues from what i understand and have been fixed but do some research.Subarus have the all wheel drive thing down and decent gas miles over a truck. anything with a lift is mystery noises and work down the road. struts,shocks,front end wear in general. i would hit up True Car and punch in what your looking for and compare things. a FOZZY i bet you could find a way newer model near that price. with used vehicles i have the 10 year rule. no older and less than 100,000 miles. then if it craps out in 2 or 3 years i feel i got my money out of it. you can also get bumper to bumper warrantys . last one i got was 5 years 1500$ for the wife as piece of mind. if the seller comes way down and you go into it thinking its a 1-2 year car i might roll the dice. then if it goes 3-5years you got a deal. i often laugh when i pass all these new Rams and Silverados with the kids driving these $50,000 rides with nothing in the back but a 7 year finance. there just driving around wasted space most times. as a hunting and fishin rig a jacked up Forester will get you in some crappy places. not a truck but mostly good enough. i drive a 2009 Forester and getting ready to put a 2 inch lift on. best of luck whatever way you decide.

Billinsd

WKR
I drive long distances to go hunting out of state and really considered a subaru. I got a daily driver civic and Tacoma truck. By the time you lift and put bigger tires on the subaru the power and gas mileage goes way down is what I read on the forums. I believe Subarus are great for snow, dirt roads etc. It really depends too, where you hunt, etc. I personally wouldn't buy a Subaru instead of a truck. I might buy one as a daily driver, to take out in certain instances, if the off roading is real light, not a lot of rocks, deep mud.

I like subarus and trust them to go through anything and more than most 4x4 trucks will, stock. But, I don't see how a body lift will really help that much for the possible problems and lost fuel economy. It may look cool and you can fit bigger tires underneath, but that opens a whole 'nother can of worms already alluded to. If you really do need more clearance, then find a raised suspension light truck or jeep. My guess is a stock subaru will suit your needs just fine and you can find one with the head gaskets replaced for the same price.

Something else you could look into is a lifted wrx. Probably more expensive but the WRX is the base for their rally car, which is known for building fast off-road cars. Idk about finding a lifted one but I'm sure you could do it yourself. And being the platform for a rally car it could have potential

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice everyone. All good things to consider. I have one last question. For those of you who have owned Subarus, do you see any need for a lift? I have an 01 Escape that is stock and it is high enough but there are times I wish it was either higher or had a skid plate underneath. It would be nice to be able to get by with a stock Subie that would be better on gas and more reliable.

Okhotnik

WKR
I love my Lesbaru and if it costs me my man card then so be it.

The hostility so many folks have against the very existance of Subies is so weird to me... I think it may have something to do with a feel of inadequacy over spending 50k on a pickup truck and seeing a vehicle that can do 80% of what their truck can do that costs way less and gets 25mpg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know you dudes in Texas get some really heavy snows in your mountainous areas.

I think its due to the fact that guys that live in flat southern areas with no mountains , no deeply rutted forest roads , no icy roads that drop off into steep dangerous deep canyons and live in areas that get less than 4 inches of snow a year think they're super hunting vehicles in the mountains.

Granted lezbarus are great for running to your local pub to obtain the latest and greatest chardonnay and IPA though