light and fast, but supportive, boots

SDHNTR

WKR
I drew a NM Gila elk tag and I'm in the market for a pair of boots that are light and cool, but that also offer good ankle and footbed support. My ankles are not the strongest and I have had bouts with plantar fasciatiis so I need something more than a just trail runner. My regular boods are Cabelas/Meindl Alaska Hunters, which I dearly love, but they are a lot of boot. We will be horse packing in, so I do not expect mile after mile of heavy backpacking, but of course I do expect to be packing out heavy loads of meat! What say ya'll?

2rocky

WKR
Millon dolla question Nate. I'm still looking. I do know Green Superfeet are part of the Support Equation, and Danner Pronghorns aren't the answer for me.

Meindl Perfekt ? or Denali?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Call Lathrop and Sons, and tell them what you are looking for. They have expanded their line, and have a little bit of everything. They will work hard to put you in something that will work for you.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Millon dolla question Nate. I'm still looking. I do know Green Superfeet are part of the Support Equation, and Danner Pronghorns aren't the answer for me.

Meindl Perfekt ? or Denali?

Had em both. Good boots, very similar to the AK Hunters I have now. Like em a lot, but not lightweight.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If I'm not using trail shoes and still want some support but not a full on boot I'd go with something like these with green super feet. They are a lot of support for me feet given they weigh in at 17.5 oz apiece which is still over 10 oz lighter than the Lathrop and Sons Mnt Lites which I really like as well.

They don't make the Jawbones anymore but gives you an idea as far as light and supportive possiblities:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/montrail-jawbone-hiking-boots-lightweight-for-men~p~3035j/

SDHUNTER, I too suffer from plantar fasciatiis in my right heel. Doc gave me a plastic heel support for that foot and I just slipped it in under my insole.
As for boot, I've had good luck w/ HiTek Altitude, they run wide and I have a wide foot so they work great for me. When they're new I smear them down w/ Obenauf's LP and then run them for a couple years as elk hunt boots, after that I down grade them to fairer weather hunting as they wear out.
Hope you find what you need.
HUnt'nFish

2rocky

WKR
H'nF, I always thought of Hi-Tek as a Cheapy brand. I must have the wrong info, cause those look pretty good. I may have to try a pair on at REI.

Nate Thanks for the info on the Denali and perfekts. I wondered. You confirmed.

JNDEER

WKR
BOHNTR led me to the Vasque Breeze boots. For my feet they are the best boot I have ever put on. I own too many pairs as I was afraid they would discontinue the line.

I have the GTX, XCR, older version non-gortex and am now useing the Breeze 2.0 non-gortex boot for hunting this summer.

Vandal 44

WKR
Take a look at the Keen Ericksons, or the Salomon Line. The Keens have more ankle support than the Salomon and are an all leather boot. The Keens are not a good looking boot. I like trying on boots before I buy them

Nate, look at the Montrail Mountain Masochist mid's. Been using them here locally for the past year or so, dig'em!

I am using Vasque boots, but I am hard on shoes and they usually only make it a year. I love the fit and the grip on the soles though. Best boot out there? I wouldn't know...although they are great for what I do. It really helps to go try as many different boots as possible before you buy.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
BOHNTR led me to the Vasque Breeze boots. For my feet they are the best boot I have ever put on. I own too many pairs as I was afraid they would discontinue the line.

I have the GTX, XCR, older version non-gortex and am now useing the Breeze 2.0 non-gortex boot for hunting this summer.

I actually have the Vasque Breeze too. Very comfortable, but I wouldn't have the confidence personally to pack in them.

H'nF, I always thought of Hi-Tek as a Cheapy brand. I must have the wrong info, cause those look pretty good. I may have to try a pair on at REI.

Nate Thanks for the info on the Denali and perfekts. I wondered. You confirmed.
Oh don't get me wrong, their no Meindel or Kennetrex, but for the $$ (on Sale) they have served me pretty good.
Like I said, I get a couple elk seasons and then down grade them.
Hunt'nFish