Light & Comfortable - Salewa Alp Trainer 2 Mid GTX?

ChrisAU

WKR
Got a pair of these on a whim this week and I'm pretty blown away in first impressions of them. They are tennis shoe comfortable with moderate sole stiffness, an aggressive Vibram sole, decent height, IMO good looks (compared to most mountaineering options that we try to use hunting), and definitely wayyy on the light end of the spectrum. Anyone have much experience with them? I don't expect the GTX to last too long but I've never really needed a waterproof boot when elk hunting in Colorado.

For comparison, here's a list of boots that I've had in the last few years that all fit my feet nearly the same and their weights for a pair using the same scale:

Inov-8 Roclite 345 GTX 11.5 - 27.2 oz
Salewa Alp Trainer 2 Mid GTX 11.5 - 40.8 oz
La Sportiva TX5 45.5 - 43.8 oz
Salewa Mtn Trainer Lite Mid GTX 11.5 - 45.5 oz
UA Infil Ops 11.5 - 47 oz
Crispi Thor 2.0 GTX 11W - 49.8 oz
Irish Setter Ravine 11W - 54.1 oz
Irish Setter Pinnacle 11W - 58.1 oz
Schnees Beartooh 0g 11W - 65.8 oz

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Mtn Trainers I believe in low cuts, normally wear a wide but these are regular width, softer shoe so figured I could get away with it. Bought them for a more agile stalking shoe and like them so far, agree they look pretty cool for normal use. I’m using them for work temporarily since my work shoes crapped out so it will be a test as I beat them daily, water, rocks, mud. Think they have a 2 year warranty? But don’t think they’ll last if I keep using them for work.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Wore these on a whitetail hunt last weekend and man, they are super comfortable. I'm going to baby them a bit this fall/winter to make sure they are in good condition for next elk season.

DANJR

FNG
Wore these on a whitetail hunt last weekend and man, they are super comfortable. I'm going to baby them a bit this fall/winter to make sure they are in good condition for next elk season.
Curious what your thoughts of the Alp Trainer 2 Mid GTX now that you've had a couple of seasons on them? I'm looking hard at these and the Mtn Trainer Lite. What are your thoughts between these two boots? I've got a beefier high top boot in a Zamberlan 980 Outfitter for when it gets cold and snowy, so really looking for a scouting, early season archery into early rifle seasons with fair weather boot.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Curious what your thoughts of the Alp Trainer 2 Mid GTX now that you've had a couple of seasons on them? I'm looking hard at these and the Mtn Trainer Lite. What are your thoughts between these two boots? I've got a beefier high top boot in a Zamberlan 980 Outfitter for when it gets cold and snowy, so really looking for a scouting, early season archery into early rifle seasons with fair weather boot.

I wound up moving to the Mtn Trainer Lite. The Alp Trainer's had a squeak that drove me nuts. I love the Mtn Trainer Lites.

dzlfarmboy

Lil-Rokslider
I wound up moving to the Mtn Trainer Lite. The Alp Trainer's had a squeak that drove me nuts. I love the Mtn Trainer Lites.
Ever try the 2023 Mountain Trainer 2 Mid ? thinking about giving them a shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 10.43.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 10.43.55 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9