Light for Caliber or Heavy for Caliber Mono’s?

Hey guys, I’d like some input-

I am a new reloader try to decide where to start when it comes to picking a bullet(s) for load development in my .30-06. Monolithics’s because California.

I will be using the rifle for anything from antelope-elk and am trying to figure out if I should work up one load to “rule them all” or have a couple different loads depend on the size of game I’m hunting.

I anticipate most will say one heavy for caliber bullet but I’ve also read the lighter for caliber monolithic bullets perform well with the greater velocities they can be pushed.

My inclination was a lighter bullet for deer/antelope and heavier for bullet for elk/bear/moose.

What are your thoughts?

Tex_F15

FNG
I've been trying to find some light for caliber Barnes LRX for 2 years...still shooting heavy Bergers. Can't complain.

TN2shot07

WKR
My experience with monos is more limited than some but I currently use ttsx in a couple of rifles. I’m shooting light for caliber in both, the thought being that the bullet is moving faster and give you better expansion.

EdP

WKR
My preference is the heavy for caliber bullets for the higher BC. I also found 180's shot more accurately than 165s from my 30-06 (Gamekings). My experience with monos is very limited but I question if there is enough difference in velocity between heavy and light to make a significant difference in impact response. From what I have read about monos the biggest difference comes from whether or not bone is impacted. I'll be interested in what others with more mono experience have to say.

jhm2023

WKR
For what game you're hunting and the cartridge you're using, I'd opt for the 165gr class of bullets. At medium ranges and in, speed is king when it comes to terminal performance using monos.

Just make sure your rifle has the twist to stabilize whatever bullet you pick. Monos are long and take more twist compared to lead.

Also I’d think if it works for deer and antelope, it will work for elk and bear.

I’ve been using monos for a few years just to try them and have had nothing but good experiences.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have an 85gr TSX load for my .270 win that shoots so well, moving almost 4k fps. I haven't shot anything living with it yet, but sure hope to some day. Probably a coyote though, all my other hunts are archery.

Fellow Californian here. My tikka 30-06 load is the 151 absolute hammer going 3230fps. Yep, it’s HOT. Developed it at 95-100f ambient to make sure of no surprises. Lapua primer pockets are good for about 4 firings here. It’s not a plinking load. In federal brass it will blow a primer pocket at about 3200.

Get some lapua brass, Varget, and either 151 absolute hammers, 150 power hammers, or maybe 124 hammer hunters.

Last year shot a blacktail at impact velocity of 2015fps with these bullets and it was quite devastating.

I’ve shot GMX, TTSX, and federal copper bullets from this gun with success, but the hammers are far more devastating on game at distance. Had each of the above “pencil” through at ranges beyond 300 yards. Yes this still killed. But the hammer does it with more authority, been tested by myself and buddies on somewhere around 30 animals (pigs and deer). They are also much easier to come up with an accurate load. Usually takes 12-15 rounds to find a load and then I’ll load up 15-20 more to confirm drops at distance.

50BBBE45-FE50-486F-A02B-7A56784B6AB3.jpeg

Fellow Californian here. My tikka 30-06 load is the 151 absolute hammer going 3230fps. Yep, it’s HOT. Developed it at 95-100f ambient to make sure of no surprises. Lapua primer pockets are good for about 4 firings here. It’s not a plinking load. In federal brass it will blow a primer pocket at about 3200.

Get some lapua brass, Varget, and either 151 absolute hammers, 150 power hammers, or maybe 124 hammer hunters.

Last year shot a blacktail at impact velocity of 2015fps with these bullets and it was quite devastating.

I’ve shot GMX, TTSX, and federal copper bullets from this gun with success, but the hammers are far more devastating on game at distance. Had each of the above “pencil” through at ranges beyond 300 yards. Yes this still killed. But the hammer does it with more authority, been tested by myself and buddies on somewhere around 30 animals (pigs and deer). They are also much easier to come up with an accurate load. Usually takes 12-15 rounds to find a load and then I’ll load up 15-20 more to confirm drops at distance.

View attachment 456018
When you say, "they penciled through", do you mean to imply, or assume, that they didn't expand?

Because that is not the case. They did expand. They shed their pedals, and the solid base was left to, "pencil", on through.