Light or heavy thumb release?

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys,

I am looking to move over to a thumb release and I am pretty sold on the Stan Perfex. I dont know if I want to get the heavy metal option or the standard option. For those who shoot hand held releases, do you prefer more weight or less weight.

I will be hunting as well as rec. shooting with it. If that plays into your decision or not.

Cheers

jmez

WKR
I prefer less weight. I have a couple regular perfex releases. Bought one used that came with a brass thumb knob, way too heavy for my taste with the brass knob. All personal preference.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

gburk

WKR
The heavy metal is intrinsically appealing but in my opinion too heavy to carry around when you have places to go

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I suppose I could get the standard and if I want it heavier I could always add a brass knob

SoDaky

WKR
Hi.I am a bit different-at least with Tru Balls.I prefer the heavier Blade Pro vs the Blade.
Definitely try to shoot each before buying.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the heavy SX3 on a whim and loved it immediately. Then I bought the standard Perfex Resistance..didn't like it. Sold it and bought the heavy Perfex Resistance. Love it. All personal preference.

nphunter

WKR
IMO there is no difference once attached to the bow at full draw. Your holding weight will be 8-15lbs depending on your bow setup and letoff. At full draw you will not notice the difference between a 3oz or 7oz piece of gear in that same hand. A heavier release feels more substantial when handling it before using it, one might feel they are using a stronger built piece of equipment, but those differences are mental and do not effect the functionality of the release.

I’ve used both and currently shoot a light one, has nothing to do with weight but hand fit for me.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch to an SX3 this year. I bought a used aluminum one first and loved it. Since I am primarily a hunter, will be back far in the elk woods, and was worried about losing it, I purchased a second one and elected to try out the heavy metal version. They are super easy to re-sell if you don't like them and not lose much (at least the SX3).

I ended up liking the heavy metal version more and it will be my primary release with the aluminum version as my extra in my pack. It is heavy, and I would not want my spare to also be the heavy metal version.

Some people say it makes no difference at full draw, but personally, I feel it does...even if it is just mental. In my view, it is like a heavier barrel on a rifle. The slight/small inputs of movement you put into the release are smoother and slower with a heavier release (in my opinion). For me, the heavier one feels to settle into my anchor point more consistently and smoother. If it is all BS and mental...who cares. Shooting a bow is extremely mental.

bward34

FNG
Just got the Stan long neck this weekend. Going to work it out a little tonight. It has so many adjustments. Will be tough to even know what I will like.
I wouldn't want it any heavier though. Not for packing around hunting anyway. Once it's drawn not sure where you would "feel" the extra weight anyway.

MNMatt

FNG
Agree with nphunter, I have shot both and it is personal preference. My wife shots a heavy metal and thinks it delivers a more crisp release. Get what feels good and give you the most confidence.