Light primer strikes

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help!

I've been shooting my pistols more often recently with ammo shortage since I'm saving components for my rifle. The issue I am having is I am getting light primer strikes. I pull the trigger- click - no bang. It's sporadic, maybe 30% of the time?

For pistol and AR (223) I reload on my Hornady progressive press for volume type stuff. I store this ammo in ammo cans with those moisture absorbent packs in a closet. ( I don't have kids). It's been sitting for several years like this (both pistol & AR ammo). Last summer I built another AR during all the looting, cause why not, and I went out to break her in and make sure the 90 round drum functions, and zero issues with the AR ammo. It went bang every time.

I am only having issues with pistol ammo, and I know it's not the pistol as I recently got my CCW and I bought a few factory boxes of ammo for the class and no issues with light primer strikes. It went bang every time.

Same reloading press for AR and pistol, both stored the same way, but only having issues with pistol ammo. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks for the help!!

When you say pistol ammo you're talking about using the same ammo in you're ar pistol???

Friend of mine had this problem and his hammer spring was installed incorrectly and it was actually a light hammer strike.

Open up your rifle and pistol and make sure the hammer and trigger springs are both installed they same way.

No. Pistol ammo in my pistol M&P 9mm
In that case I've had pistol firing pins get really junked up and fail to fire.
Like the carbon and lube form a sludge.
Field strip to the max of your ability.
Brake cleaner.
Ultrasonic cleaner works really well as well.
I have the harbor freight one and use the simple green extreme aircraft.

Any chance it has a lighter striker spring? If you bought it used that’s always a possibility. If not I’d say it needs cleaned. No oil needs to be there anyway.

OP
J

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I did install an Apex trigger on the pistol, but I only have issues with reloaded ammo. No issues with factory ammo. Could it be that the primers are not seated all the way when reloading?