Light weight 1-man tent

Nitrous24

FNG
I am getting the seek outside Silex this year. It is a 1 man trekking pole tent. You can get it with or with out an inner nest. Without the inner nest it weighs 21 oz. You can also get in dcf material.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Said I'd update. My Nemo Hornet 1P did quite well for 8 days in Alaska, with some very Alaskan weather for part of it. Kept the rain out nicely, cut the wind nicely and plenty of room (for a guy my size) inside. Only complaints are that I did find an almost microscopic pinhole in the tent body, and the vestibule is pretty small. Solid option for guys in this thread, though.

20200826_231217.jpg

For those that have owned sub 3 pound tents/tarps/shelters and pushed the limits with them, what is the best bang for buck when you factor in lifespan?

I would rather buy a 3.5 pound shelter that lasts 200+ nights than a 1.5 tent that lasts 100.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
200+ nights? you're probably going to want check reports from thru hikers

can't speak for everyone, but if I get 30 nights in a year I'm doing pretty good- maybe check back with me in a couple of years when I retire :D

For those that have owned sub 3 pound tents/tarps/shelters and pushed the limits with them, what is the best bang for buck when you factor in lifespan?

I would rather buy a 3.5 pound shelter that lasts 200+ nights than a 1.5 tent that lasts 100.

It goes without saying, but how well (or not), you care for it will determine how long it will last. And yeah, a super bomber, and usually expensive and heavy, tent will take much more abuse than something that’s not so much so. That said, IMO you don’t have to sacrifice much in the way of durability, to have something much, much lighter, albeit maybe not necessarily much less expensive. With just a little extra care, and if you’re okay with a floorless shelter, there are plenty of DCF offerings out there that are very durable, yet won’t come even close to the wt. of some of the more traditional “bomber” shelters. I’ve had had several DCF floorless shelters that I believe were just as storm worthy as any Hilleberg, and they were all a fraction of the wt. of a Hilleberg, not to mention that a couple were a fair amount bigger.

I wouldn’t say that I’ve spent hundreds of nights underneath any one of my DCF shelters, but I’ve used several of them in some pretty major, extended storms, and they held up exceptionally well, with no signs of wear and tear whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It goes without saying, but how well (or not), you care for it will determine how long it will last. And yeah, a super bomber, and usually expensive and heavy, tent will take much more abuse than something that’s not so much so. That said, IMO you don’t have to sacrifice much in the way of durability, to have something much, much lighter, albeit maybe not necessarily much less expensive. With just a little extra care, and if you’re okay with a floorless shelter, there are plenty of DCF offerings out there that are very durable, yet won’t come even close to the wt. of some of the more traditional “bomber” shelters. I’ve had had several DCF floorless shelters that I believe were just as storm worthy as any Hilleberg, and they were all a fraction of the wt. of a Hilleberg, not to mention that a couple were a fair amount bigger.

I wouldn’t say that I’ve spent hundreds of nights underneath any one of my DCF shelters, but I’ve used several of them in some pretty major, extended storms, and they held up exceptionally well, with no signs of wear and tear whatsoever.

Agree on the floorless shelters, they are great and I have been comfortable in some very wet environments in mine.

worx53

WKR
2 guys, 2 bows, 2 Kifaru packs —- using fly only in this pic at 1.2 pounds .. I’ve used these for several years now in all conditions. Can’t beat the 2 vestibules and room. Setup about 60 seconds. Pic from Wyoming this week. Tarptent stratospire models
90a7976b147746f21472dca53ff03801.jpg

2 guys, 2 bows, 2 Kifaru packs —- using fly only in this pic at 1.2 pounds .. I’ve used these for several years now in all conditions. Can’t beat the 2 vestibules and room. Setup about 60 seconds. Pic from Wyoming this week. Tarptent stratospire models

This picture is a good example of how much sil can stretch and sag in cold, and or wet weather conditions. I'm guessing that when you guys pitched it, the conditions were a lot nicer and the pitch was a lot tighter.

worx53

WKR
That’s the new dyneema version . 80 degrees then 24. Left rear peg in pic is pulled though. It was easier to pull the peg and pull the pack out from under that morning

That’s the new dyneema version . 80 degrees then 24. Left rear peg in pic is pulled though. It was easier to pull the peg and pull the pack out from under that morning

My bad. I've seen sil do this in conditions that were no where near as nasty. How did the shelter handle the snow, and did you have any issues with the tent saging or anything, after it was pitched tight the previous day?

worx53

WKR
No stretch like sil whatsoever although I’ve had snow on my sil stratospires before with really no issues whatsoever ... once waking up to snow pretty heavy on one

DCF tent makers use different construction methods. It seems the jury is still out somewhat on proper construction of DCF fabric tent/tarps. IMO Tarptent has the best product currently.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider

That a down bag in there? How’s it fair in the moist conditions? Debating between a Kifaru Slick Bag C’s going all out and getting a western mountaineering down bag

DCF tent makers use different construction methods. It seems the jury is still out somewhat on proper construction of DCF fabric tent/tarps. IMO Tarptent has the best product currently.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, Tarptent is the only one that’s made in China. I would never recommend, or even consider, purchasing a Chinese manufactured item, when I can have one that’s built right here in the USA. There are many cottage companies manufacturing DCF tents right here in the United States, that are just as well-built, if not better IMO, and are no more expensive.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Purchased a new 4 season solo tent (had a Black Diamond Firstlight previous), MSR Access 1 and had the chance to give it a go with a early winter blast we got a couple of weeks ago. I set it up once in backyard and had no problem setting it up in the field- pretty straight forward.

Lots of stake outs and guy outs- I was running it with 10 stakes (mix of MSR Blizzard and Dutchwear ti snow stakes), didn't get overly windy, but I expect it to pretty well with wind. Ditto on handling snow loads (only snowed 2-3" that night).

It's not palace like roomy, but more than sufficient for a solo user. The vestibule will cover a pack no problem and plenty of room to cook as well.

under 3 lbs (without stakes), not too shabby for a 4 season tent

I have other shelters to use in less adverse conditions, but for later fall/winter/early spring- this will likely get the call

vF2BaTT.jpg

turley

Lil-Rokslider
The Big Sky Chinook 1P 4 season tent is right at 3lbs with the breathable fabric inner tent. I’ve used a Big Sky Mirage for years and the quality of construction is excellent and it’s incredibly easy to set up.