Light weight 1-man tent

BRWNBR

WKR
What's out there that's sub 3lbs, one man tent with full coverage fly. Not a tarp, not a half fly, not a single wall.
Been using the same three tents for a decade, gonna upgrade.

gfb0904

FNG
I use the Mountain Hardware SuperMegaUL 2 as a solo sheep hunting tent (worth the extra four ounces), but the one-man version is even lighter. It's an awesome tent that's easy to setup and holds up well in extreme wind and rain. The tent is rated for three seasons but the steep roof and excellent ventilation have let me weather some moderate snow storms without any issue( but I wouldn't want to be in this thing in a raging, multi-day blizzard). The 10-D fly material is much studier than it feels. And there's a decent sized vestibule to-boot! I definitely recommend checking out this setup.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/sup...light&dwvar_OU9649_variationColor=304#start=1

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I have had other tents from mt hardware with these same style set up, single spine down the middle and none of them likes wind at all.
What about not freestanding tents? I've done better wih those in wind, hoop pole over head and one over feet?

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
I have had other tents from mt hardware with these same style set up, single spine down the middle and none of them likes wind at all.
What about not freestanding tents? I've done better wih those in wind, hoop pole over head and one over feet?

The venerable old Stephenson's Warmlite tunnel tents would qualify as a wind worthy sub 3 lbs solo shelter. Here is a pic of my 2C on a solo stone sheep hunt in 2010.

126.jpg

Edit: Have a look at Big Sky International too. http://www.bigskyinternational.com/ Some of their 2 man tents are sub 3 lbs and are much more livable than a typical 1 person coffin.

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Hillies pricey when you have to buy two or three tents at s time. Lol
I like the big sky revolution. Looks like that might fit the bill.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
The Hilleberg Akto is a great bombproof solo shelter (that new Enan looks very interesting...) that has kept me safe and dry at 13k in some crazy weather. I also have a Tarp Tent Moment. At around 2 lbs it's a very light tent and reasonably priced. If hunting at or below tree-line I take the Moment, higher up I go with the Akto.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Worth it only if you can afford it. I've been using 150 dollar tents for almost a decade with no issues outa three of them. Hard to say that 2000 worth of tents would have been that much better.
Spent alot of nights on exposed kodiak mountains in 80mph winds and never said "man I shoulda spent 600 bucks on this tent!"

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not double wall, but if having to buy a few lightweight tents this is what I would use:
http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

3.1 pounds, a BIG 2 person tent at 36 sq ft by industry standards so a palace for 1 plus gear, 2 doors, 2 vestibules, tunnel design, fully mosquito netting to keep the bugs at bay no matter how bad they get, full bathtub floor and double hoop design does very well in the wind, and they breath very well for what they are. Buck Nelson did his 1K alone in Alaska during one of the rainiest summer up there in a tarptent and had zero issues.

In many respects I wish I still had mine, but in the end I really like the space/weight of a floorless tipi for most of my uses.

Last edited:
OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
When your using a trekker pole supported tent what happens if you leave the tent up and hike around for the day...no trekker pole, or take your tent down?

Luke does that fly close over the front of that tent? I've only ever had one single wall tent. On kodiak. Big mistake. Ground outside was dry and my gear inside was soaked. It was light weight though....lol but my wet gear sure got heavy. Thanks MSR.

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
I use mids too. I do various things when leaving for the day. Sometimes I pull the pole and leave the shelter flat, sometimes I leave it up and hunt with one pole, sometimes I cut a pole, and sometimes I pack a carbon fibre pole (Ruta Locura). Lots of different options.

By the way, before you buy a Big sky make sure it has external tie outs for wind or have them add them. The Tarptent Cloudburst may have one weakness and that is snow loading. Otherwise nice tent.

What's out there that's sub 3lbs, one man tent with full coverage fly. Not a tarp, not a half fly, not a single wall.
Been using the same three tents for a decade, gonna upgrade.

been looking at the big sky chinook 1 man. check it. it seems to be a swiss army knife, pole, inner, fly material options etc....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
When your using a trekker pole supported tent what happens if you leave the tent up and hike around for the day...no trekker pole, or take your tent down?

Luke does that fly close over the front of that tent? I've only ever had one single wall tent. On kodiak. Big mistake. Ground outside was dry and my gear inside was soaked. It was light weight though....lol but my wet gear sure got heavy. Thanks MSR.

Jake,

Usually I am hunting with my wife or another buddy. Therefore we leave two trekking poles in camp usually and each have one or if its my wife I will have none sometimes and she has two. However sometimes we just bring the 10 oz pole along as well. Just depends on the trip and what we are hiking through.

As far as teh fly on the tarpten fly...yeah it closes in to create a vestibule. In fact I had in the pic above is no longer made. It only had one door and one vestibule and slightly smaller tent square footage.

The new one (cloudburst 3) that I linked to above had 2 doors and 2 vestibules at each end of the tent and the inner tent is 62" wide which means Two guys can have their 20" pads in there and still have nearly 2' between them if 2 guys in there. The Cloudburst 3 is listed at 49 oz or just an oz over 3 pounds which is pretty darn impressive. Of course add some more stakes and such but each one would be a palace for 1 person a gear with 2 vestibules and such and no trekking poles required to set it up.

A lot of the mountaineering single walls function somewhat differently than these tarp tents. The mountaineerings are generally fully enclosed fly with small vents as they are designed to be used on mountaineering locales like McKinely and such where its cold and dry at a high alititude.....pretty much the opposite of Kodiak. :)

As far as condensation goes these tarptents while these are single wall shelters, each end being all mesh door as well as mesh along the sides so it breathes MUCH better than standard single wall mountaineering tents.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Thanks. I'm gonna stick with one man size tents. I don't want to sleep with my client and it's much easier to find or build a camp sight for two small footprint tents thsn one big one.
The scarp1 got my attention some great info here guys thanks!