light weight barreled action

Antares

WKR
Reducing barrel length to 16 would call for the t3x lite instead of superlite. What about the lite makes it lighter than a standard t3x? Also, is there such thing as too light for .308? Sorry for the never ending questions, just want to cover all my bases before purchasing. TIA

The T3x Lite is the base model. There is no "standard" T3x. As has been said above, the Superlites are stainless and have fluted barrels. That's the only difference between a Superlite and a plain Jane blued T3x Lite. If you're going to chop the barrel, get a Lite. It'll be cheaper than a Superlite. I got a new T3x Lite Compact in .308 for $579 a few months ago. Plan on cutting 9/16-28 threads. Or better yet, get a 16" carbon barrel if you want 5/8-24. I put a 20" Proof on that Compact and it wears a GEMTECH Tracker full time.

Yes sir 5/8x24 for a nomad Ti 9.6oz suppressor. I’m picking between the savage 110 lightweight storm and the tikka t3x lite. I think both would serve me nicely. I honestly just want the lightest of the two when both factory stocks are removed and both are cut to 16”.
I am sure they will be close, but I'd have to guess that of the two, with a barrel thick enough to thread, the Tikka will come out lighter sans stock. Less material on the Action and a thinner bolt.

OP
G

Gusbus

FNG
I know the barrel is thin on the savage. The gun says 5.6lbs and I’ve heard the stock is 2lbs. Which makes that barreled action 3.5lbs. The tikka says it weighs more and i dont know the weight of the tikka factory stock. I know they’re close but I’d like to be sure to get the absolute lightest of the two. Not too concerned with threading as i can get an adapter for any thread pitch.

WRO

WKR
Another option is screwing a proof 16" sendero contour on it, that'll work much better suppressed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Buy the Tikka, remove barrel, sell stock and take-off barrel. Put those funds towards a K&P 16" straight no taper barrel from LRI and have them do the murder hornet fluting, chamber, and thread it. Stiff and light.

In this video they show the murder hornet fluting on a 29" finished barrel. Blank weighed 9lbs 10oz and finished at 3lbs 10oz. That is substantial. So if you shorten it 13" it has to be in the low 2lbs.

OP
G

Gusbus

FNG
Damnit that’s a lot of weight drop! Crazy. I’ll look into it. Thanks

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
FYI a proof barrel is not a lightweight. A 16.5 proof Sendero is 2 pounds 6 ounces. The Sendero light is 2 pounds 4 ounces. It is considerably heavier than either barrel you are looking at when cut down to 16”. A light profile barrel cut to 16” handles a suppressor way better than a 22” barrel. My 22” 7mm-08 mountain rifle profile is 2 pounds exactly.

A LW Storm Savage 20" 7mm-08 barrel is 1 lb. 14 oz. I know because I removed one recently and weighed it. My 21" fluted McGowan #2 in .284 Win is 2 lbs 5 oz. and it has enough meat at the muzzle for threading still.

OP
G

Gusbus

FNG
FYI a proof barrel is not a lightweight. A 16.5 proof Sendero is 2 pounds 6 ounces. The Sendero light is 2 pounds 4 ounces. It is considerably heavier than either barrel you are looking at when cut down to 16”. A light profile barrel cut to 16” handles a suppressor way better than a 22” barrel. My 22” 7mm-08 mountain rifle profile is 2 pounds exactly.
I saw that weight and it didn’t make much sense. I’m honestly thinking about just getting the tikka t3x lite and cutting it to 16 and dropping it in a light weight chassis and calling it good. Carbon barrels are interesting but i the numbers don’t add up for me.

OP
G

Gusbus

FNG
A LW Storm Savage 20" 7mm-08 barrel is 1 lb. 14 oz. I know because I removed one recently and weighed it. My 21" fluted McGowan #2 in .284 Win is 2 lbs 5 oz. and it has enough meat at the muzzle for threading still.
With that being said, do you think that lw storm barrel is lighter than the tikka t3x lite barrel? If they’re the same length obviously. Also, did you happen to get a weight on that action when you had it broke down? Thats somewhat or a small concern, not being able to get a standard thread on the lw storm barrel Bc it’s so small. Thanks for any input.

With that being said, do you think that lw storm barrel is lighter than the tikka t3x lite barrel? If they’re the same length obviously. Also, did you happen to get a weight on that action when you had it broke down? Thats somewhat or a small concern, not being able to get a standard thread on the lw storm barrel Bc it’s so small. Thanks for any input.
The action, with the bolt, was just shy of 2 lbs.

So, 2 lbs. action and bolt, recoil lug and nut
1 lb. 14 oz. for barrel
27 oz. for the stock
= 5.6 lbs. bare rifle.
With my Leupy on it, it was 6 lbs. 6 oz.