Light weight Base Camp stuff

2rocky

WKR
I'm gearing up for a summer horse pack trip where we are going to be limited to one pack horse for a group of 4 of us. That means space and weight are at a premium.

So the Cast iron and tin plates, and metal silverware are the first to get the ax. What lighter weight alternatives are worth looking at?

Probably going to bring the 2 burner Propane Coleman stove and a Coffee pot.

Options from REI are good since I'm a member.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
C'mon HC...Better performance through aggressive spending...Help out the economy man!

My Chuck box right now weighs 50# That is ok in the back of the pickup, But not in the back country.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My hunting partners and I do fast and light pack trips like this in the summer pretty often. We just pack our normal backpacking gear, kitchen, and foods (freeze dry). Works like a charm. Backpacking without the hiking!

I like Matt's idea best... One horse should be able to back 200 lbs. Depending on what pack saddle or setup you have that's 45 lbs of gear per guy (If one goes over by a few lbs not a big deal, horse should be able to handle it depending on the horse). Should be able to reach that goal. But I'm guessing that not all of your friends are into the lightweight backcountry hunting so they may or may not have the gear like you do.

Mike

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
We go in every year and figure on one horse for two guys. We pack almost as if we are going in on our backs like HC said and it works good. If you're going with only one horse with four of you then I'd pack in some on my back and put the heavy stuff like food and stove/tent on the horse. Where the horse will be worth his weight is when blood is drawn. One trip out is awesome.

Lawnboi

WKR
MSR dragonfly for the stove, the thing is awesome. I sometimes even carry the extra weight backpacking. If you really are looking to cook fancy, or do anything beyond boiling for freeze dried meals.

Wrongside

WKR
We do trips like this fairly regularly, couple elk hunting trips a year anyways. Actually, we often go without a packhorse at all. Large saddle bags and trunks with backpacking gear works out pretty well. That and maybe ride with a good, but lightly loaded pack. Nice way to see and cover the country, while not getting too bogged down with all the horse camp paraphernalia.