Light weight cots

lukelalor

FNG
What are the reasons for looking at cots over inflatable pads?

When weight is an issue, inflatables can be pretty darn good. Some of them are very comfortable as well.

My winter setup is a full length foam pad with a short inflatable pad.

I have redundancy with the foam pad if anything goes wrong, and the entire setup is very warm, light, and comfy.

keller

WKR
They are 25% off at backcountry now.but check moosejaw or others as backcountry is not a respected company .
I’m heading to Alaska next year on a DIY caribou drop camp hunt. Weight is an issue and wondering what people use for light weight cots. Been looking at the helinox cots. Didn’t know if there was something else. Thanks.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I used a "marchway" or something like that on a 5 day rafting trip in my tipi and slept better than just about any other night I can think of outdoors. Pretty much the cheapest thing I could find on amazon. I certainly wouldn't back pack it but for car or drop camp type set ups It's definitely coming. Set up was about as much effort as blowing up a pad after you figure it out.

Beendare

WKR
Depends on how much of an issue weight is, but if you can afford an extra couple of pounds, Roll-a-cots are great.

Those low to the ground cots just don't make sense for me either...its a tween-er product.

These Roll-a-Cots are great. 11# for the std, mine is the long wide at 12#. Its a huge space saver when you can store all of your gear under the cot. If backpacking....I just use my Exped mat.

Those low to the ground cots just don't make sense for me either...its a tween-er product.

The reason I have low cots is just that it's hard to find nests that fit a full-sized cot. I greatly prefer floorless shelters to tents, but use a nest year-round because of critters. Even in colder weather here you have to worry about ticks, and I also don't enjoy spider-parties in my bedding, which is basically guaranteed if you camp in the woods here without netting. If only Seek Outside would create a half-size nest for the Redcliff...

Beendare

WKR
The reason I have low cots is just that it's hard to find nests that fit a full-sized cot.......

Not to say a low cot doesn't ever make sense....sure they do....like in your case. Or a drop camp in Alaska where just a little bit of off the ground keeps your pad dry.

In my case, on most hunts, the low cot is a middling solution....I use a full size cot on base camp hunts. I don't want to pack it on backpack hunts. In Alaska with a floorless tipi, I build up under my pad with a tarp and willow bows to keep my pad off the ground

Cots are fine for truck camping but I'll never stick one in my pack for a strenuous hunt like that. Nuh uh, no way. A 3.5" thick EXPED mat will suffice.

OP
Rchance83

Rchance83

FNG
I used a "marchway" or something like that on a 5 day rafting trip in my tipi and slept better than just about any other night I can think of outdoors. Pretty much the cheapest thing I could find on amazon. I certainly wouldn't back pack it but for car or drop camp type set ups It's definitely coming. Set up was about as much effort as blowing up a pad after you figure it out.
How heavy is that. Weight is any issue. We can only fly in 70lbs each.

I owned an original LuxuryLite Cot back when they were a small independent company. Used that sucker for over a decade and it was still going strong. Just last year I caught a tremendous discount on a new Thermarest LuxuryLite Cot and bought one. I've compared them to Helinox cots and while I absolutely like their products in general, I'll take my LL cot thank you.

Assembling a LuxuryLite cot is a bit of hassle, but if it was that hard I wouldn't even bother. My first experience with an ultralight cot was way more successful than I imagined it might be. I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to the (relative to a bed) narrow surface. The biggest advantage for me....over ground-sleeping....is all the little bumps, humps and undulations disappear with a low cot. I can level the cot as needed and avoid 'migrating' off the mat at night. I usually tuck a few things under the edge of the cot for convenient location.

I'm not exactly a study in graceful body mechanics. Somehow (I hope through common sense) I've managed to not damage my cots in all the years I've used them. The main thing is to avoid sitting on or pushing down on the long side rails. Also, I personally prefer a low cot in a tipi which allows my bed to stay closer to the perimeter and thereby preserve center space.

I’m a Helinox cot user, have been for a couple of years now. If I’m going out over night, it goes with me. I have popped way too many air mats to keep trying them. I also sleep way better on a cot than I do on an airmat.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Like others have shared, I also crossed over to a Thermarest ultra-lite cot quite a while back primarily at that time for spring black bear and fall moose hunts. For me it is sooooo much better than just an inflatable pad for many reasons already voiced in this thread...and I had been using excellent pads (still do with the cot), e.g., Exped and then NeoAir Xtherm. I didn't take my cot on sheep hunts (weight factor) or multiple day pack-raft floats (putting it together and taking it apart every day), and man did I miss it!

I few years ago I upgraded to a newer Thermarest ultra-lite, and I gave my original to my son who still uses the heck out of it. We went on a hundred-mile pack-raft float last fall to get his first grizzly (...he got a nice 9ft boar), and he brought his cot along. I didn't because I had gotten into the habit of not on float trips because of my attitude of daily "hassle" of assembly and disassembly. There was some good intentioned ribbing of dad's faulty perspective...usually first thing in the morning, "Man I slept great on my COT last nite...how about you dad?"

I just bought a Helinox lite cot, and will be giving it a try next month on a ten-day pack-raft float. It is a much less involved assembly...not that I should be thinking that way!

i just bought the desert walker and the therma-rest to compare off Amazon. The DW was 89.99 and the TR was 149.99. I have only set them up in the house but there are some stark differences. The DW poles are all shock corded together and super simple to install. The TR like others have said is a PITA and you have to twist 2 bows for setup if you are over 175lbs. The DW weighed exactly 3lbs and the TR was 2lbs.13.5oz , both in their travel bags. The TR bag is 16" long the and the DW is 20". I am 6'4 and 220lbs and the DW kept me off the ground whereas the TR I was touching the cross bows and when seated like the chair, point loading the cot i was sitting on the ground. The DW fabric is like a canvas and the TR is a rip stop nylon laminated fabric with a reflective emergency blanket on the bottom. The TR has a support bow directly under the head are whereas the DW does not, however my head felt fully supported. The DW is a quieter fabric and the TR, similar to its Xtherm blow up sounds like a bag of chips when sliding around on it.

The TR is from a reputable company with a warranty, didnt see anything from DW. For almost half the price, setup is easier, holds me off the ground and is a little bit quieter, i am pulling for the DW. It fits in the backpack or is easily strapped on the outside. but in the words of Tommy Boy if want me to take a dump in a box and stamp it guaranteed I have spare time.... I will take a nap on each of them and let you know.

Attachments

• IMG_7516[1].JPG
    IMG_7516[1].JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7524[1].JPG
    IMG_7524[1].JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7519[1].JPG
    IMG_7519[1].JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 46

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I gave the Chinese knock off a try last year. Set up wasn't too much hassle. For me, it was just way too narrow and I couldn't get comfortable. I have the same issue with narrow sleeping pads, which is why I will pay the weight penalty for the Static V Luxe insulated. Anyone know of a wider lightweight cot?

So I spent a week with both pads and for me the desert walker was more comfortable and so much easier to setup. I also had my boy sleep on it in the hotel room as we crossed the country. The setup and take down alone is 10 times easier than the therma-rest. So for $80 cheaper, faster setup time and a penalty of 3 oz I am sending back the thermal's-rest. Hope this helped somebody.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the Thermarest ultralight version and, while it is comfortable, it’s not the best built thing in the world. I found that I needed to be really careful about how I was laying on it because if I put too much weight in any one spot, I’d touch the ground. Not a huge deal if in a dry environment. However, in tundra or a wetter location, I could see it being problematic.

After a few days in the woods/mountains, my back will start hurting if I can’t find a way to be comfortable laying down for a few hours a day. I tried out the Helinox lite cot or whatever it’s called and I really liked it. I had to sacrifice a little weight, but for me it is worth it because it extends time out hunting by days and I can do more during the day because I wake up feeling good.

For any type of drop camp or base camp situation, even a float trip, I wouldn’t think twice about bringing it. Hell, I’d bring the chair zero, too. Comfort in camp = comfort in the mountains. If you’re still super fresh on day 7 because you sacrificed a little weight to make camp just a hair more comfortable, it’s worth it. I think the chair and the cot are about 4lbs total, maybe a little less with some modifications and leaving the storage sacks at the house. With a 70lb limit, they’d be on my short list.

HoneyDew

WKR
Like others have shared, I also crossed over to a Thermarest ultra-lite cot quite a while back primarily at that time for spring black bear and fall moose hunts. For me it is sooooo much better than just an inflatable pad for many reasons already voiced in this thread...and I had been using excellent pads (still do with the cot), e.g., Exped and then NeoAir Xtherm. I didn't take my cot on sheep hunts (weight factor) or multiple day pack-raft floats (putting it together and taking it apart every day), and man did I miss it!

I few years ago I upgraded to a newer Thermarest ultra-lite, and I gave my original to my son who still uses the heck out of it. We went on a hundred-mile pack-raft float last fall to get his first grizzly (...he got a nice 9ft boar), and he brought his cot along. I didn't because I had gotten into the habit of not on float trips because of my attitude of daily "hassle" of assembly and disassembly. There was some good intentioned ribbing of dad's faulty perspective...usually first thing in the morning, "Man I slept great on my COT last nite...how about you dad?"

I just bought a Helinox lite cot, and will be giving it a try next month on a ten-day pack-raft float. It is a much less involved assembly...not that I should be thinking that way!
Any feedback after your trip?

I highly recommend the Alps Mountaineering Ready Lite cot. Folds up into a 7" x 18" pouch & less than 5 lbs. Very sturdy & comfortable

Got two of these - really like them. I’m 6’3” and > 200 lbs if that makes any difference.