Light weight fixed blade knife

I have a havalon piranta but I like to have a fixed blade for back up and popping joints. I have a buck vanguard but looking for something a little lighter. I may be talked into a good folder but I like fixed blades, am I going overboard. I'm looking at some benchmades

Fixed blades
Benchmade lonewolf skinner orange 3.3 oz with 1.7 oz sheath
Benchmade lonewolf mountainside drop point hunter (orange) 3.6 oz with 1.9 oz sheath
Benchmade lone wolf skinner hard way 2.10 oz
buck paklite med skinner 2.5 oz

folding (I realize will be lighter becasue no sheath)
Benchmade lonewold landslide 3.2 oz
Benchmade griptallion
?? any other suggestions

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Buck PackLites? I have the Packlite skinner and caper, but have never used them. They were freebies from RMEF banquets, but I have been curious if they are decent knives.

OP
pyroducksx3
I am interested in that as well actually. I must have looked at the weights wrong and been looking at the large skinner. the small skinner is 2.5 oz so Im really looking at that one as well again, I wonder if benchmades blades are better? Thanks making me check it again

jherald

WKR
I have both the lonewolf hardways and buck packlites. Does a job on moose, I dont prefer one over the other, they are both great lightweight blades.

A classic Mora #2 is 3 oz including the sheath. Actually ever so slightly lighter than my Havlon and it has a 4" blade.

Mora's are not made of super steel, but they are a good useable general purpose blade.

YK

OP
pyroducksx3
The mora knife looks great but I try to buy made in the USA when I can and you can find good knives made here. Just like my amazing kifaru pack ;)

OP
pyroducksx3
That knife actually looks great and it gets amazing reviews on a survival websight. If I wasn't stuck on made in USA it would be a top contender. I'm leaning towards the lone wolf hardway. I think the blade might be better than the buck but I like the orange handle of the buck

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't need any more knives right now. But if I had the money lying around id try one of these for a light decent size fixed blade.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/40033-40034

I too like to carry a fixed blade. I keep the piranta at home for processing. I tried one deer with it and just didn't care for it when it came to quartering. They are light though.

i hope i dont throw ths too far off the OP but im interested in a lightweight fixed blade knife in adition to my havalon for camp chores, planking firewood, etc.
suggestions?

I have an IZULA. Its the Rat Cutlery IZULA which I think was bought out by ESEE which is a Idaho company I think... made in the USA anyhow. Its a popular fixed blade lightweight knife.

i hope i dont throw ths too far off the OP but im interested in a lightweight fixed blade knife in adition to my havalon for camp chores, planking firewood, etc.
suggestions?

My only comment on camp/chore knives is that I prefer either skandi grind or flat bevel for working wood. I also look for a fairly round handle. Flat handles are fine for skinning/butchering, and I have some I really like, but they will make blisters if when used heavily.

I'm currently carrying either the classic Mora #2 or a more modern stainless Mora with an orange handle in my kit bag during the summer. I've also used a variety of others, but these fit the bill as far as being lightweight and useful to me. The stainless Mora in particular also makes a fine hunting knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Mora-Companio...F8&qid=1363374437&sr=1-15&keywords=mora+knife

Yk

I carry a Buck MAxlite small with an orange handle. Used to carry a Piranta Torch, but my buck is about the same weight and I don't have to carry needle nose to swap the blades. Carry a small benchmade knife sharpener in the field and I'm good to go. I see no point in carrying an extra fixed + a piranta when the fixed will do everything and not break.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like KUIU had some superlight titanium knives made by Nathan Creech (the owner and founder of Kestrel Knives). This was in 2011, so I don't know if they are still available. They might be a bit more expensive then what you are looking for but they are very light!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I carry a Buck MAxlite small with an orange handle. Used to carry a Piranta Torch, but my buck is about the same weight and I don't have to carry needle nose to swap the blades. Carry a small benchmade knife sharpener in the field and I'm good to go. I see no point in carrying an extra fixed + a piranta when the fixed will do everything and not break.

How many elk have you deboned/broken down with that knife?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a few benchmade knives but this is an Osborne design with s30v steel model 940. I've completely bonded out a few elk without ever touching it up with a stone. I send it in yearly for benchmade life sharp and pocket clip replaced. I don't have a scale but it is light weight. I feel it was a serious investment for a knife but so worth it
5e7yzasy.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also you can build your own mini griptilion with s30v blade on benchmade home page but the weight would be more I'm guessing, cost would be less though and you could choose custom engraving

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I have the Benchmade lonewolf mountainside drop point and its a really nice knife. I'm used it on 3 animals and absolutely no complaints at all. Holds an edge great and the drop point fits nice with my hand. With that said, I am looking at a Havalon to take this year.

I also have the Buck packlite large skinner - not the best thats for sure. Doesn't hold an edge very long. Its now a camping/fishing knife.

Wrongside

WKR
I'm really liking the Bark River Ultralight Bushcrafter. Made in the USA, it's a pretty bombproof little knife, with a 3V (awesome) steel blade and your choice of scales. Kinda a Mora +P... 2.7ish ounces, plus sheath (?).