Light weight magnum rifle

I’m looking for a light weight magnum rifle that shoots well. I’m not opposed to custom at all.
My main reason for counting pounds is i have a jacked up spine. I feel a huge difference in my back toting my .308 vs my current .300 win mag. My .308 is 8 lbs. my magnum is 13 lbs. This gun would be for moose, bear, sheep and elk.
I think I want to go with a .30 nosler if available
My goal is sub 8lbs with ammo
Non custom rifles I’m looking at are-
browning x bolt hells canyon.
nosler rifles
bergara mountain rifle
savage ultra light
As for custom-
I don’t even know where to start. Gunwerks has a big name.

Cooper makes a nice light weight rifle in magnum calibers. Not sure how shooting a light magnum will treat your spine. And while there's nothing wrong with a magnum rifle, one is certainly not necessary for any of the species your after. Good luck in your search!

Rbros
You'll see he mainy sells 2 different configurations but he has a few others to.
Email or call Travis is one of the nicest and knowledgeable guys out there.

BTW an 8 lb magnum is a hell of a bear. I have one thats 8.2 and I absolutely despise shooting it. But it does not have a break.

I’m looking for a light weight magnum rifle that shoots well. I’m not opposed to custom at all.
My main reason for counting pounds is i have a jacked up spine. I feel a huge difference in my back toting my .308 vs my current .300 win mag. My .308 is 8 lbs. my magnum is 13 lbs. This gun would be for moose, bear, sheep and elk.
I think I want to go with a .30 nosler if available
My goal is sub 8lbs with ammo
Non custom rifles I’m looking at are-
browning x bolt hells canyon.
nosler rifles
bergara mountain rifle
savage ultra light
As for custom-
I don’t even know where to start. Gunwerks has a big name.
Are you a handloader? If so the 30 Nosler is awesome throated out for heavies.
I built one last year that weighs 6.8 lbs bare, 9lbs scoped.
Recoil is a non factor with a brake, my wife shoots steel at a half mile with 220s no problem.
If you want a really good factory setup check out the seekins PH2 in 300 prc

Also be prepared for a bunch of guys on here to tell you that a 6.5 is a better elk/bear caliber

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
A very important variable in felt recoil is the design of the stock. My Cooper Excalibur 300 win mag (no break) weighs just under 9# all up, but the recoil with 165 gr @ 3100 fps doesn't seem any worse than my 8.5# all up .270 Browning A-Bolt with 150s @ 2850 fps.

If I had your criteria, minus the 30 Nosler requirement, I would look at a Cooper Backcountry in 300 win mag. This one has a one hole test target:

A very important variable in felt recoil is the design of the stock. My Cooper Excalibur 300 win mag (no break) weighs just under 9# all up, but the recoil with 165 gr @ 3100 fps doesn't seem any worse than my 8.5# all up .270 Browning A-Bolt with 150s @ 2850 fps.

If I had your criteria, minus the 30 Nosler requirement, I would look at a Cooper Backcountry in 300 win mag. This one has a one hole test target:

And it's sold..

OP
S
Are you a handloader? If so the 30 Nosler is awesome throated out for heavies.
I built one last year that weighs 6.8 lbs bare, 9lbs scoped.
Recoil is a non factor with a brake, my wife shoots steel at a half mile with 220s no problem.
If you want a really good factory setup check out the seekins PH2 in 300 prc

Also be prepared for a bunch of guys on here to tell you that a 6.5 is a better elk/bear caliber
One of my favorite things to do.
I actually owned a Christian arms .30 nosler. I loved the balistics. It just wouldnt group and i sent it back over and over. It never shot like they guaranteed so i sold it.
Im fine with a .300 win mag but prefer .30 nosler.

I actually owned a Christian arms .30 nosler. I loved the balistics. It just wouldnt group and i sent it back over and over. It never shot like they guaranteed so i sold it.
I decided against 30 nosler because it's a tinkers cartridge, known throat eroder and have to tweak the load often.

Your more likely to find a gold bar laying in the streets then 300 prc stuff.
300 Whinny for the win.

Yeah that's the risk with factory rifles for the most part, which is why I'll only recommend Fierce or Seekins.
Anything creeping up on 3k is better off being built custom.
Also I haven't tweaked my 30 nosler load in 150 rounds, the barrel will last every bit as long as a 300 wm unless you're hammering the throttle with N570.
Im using Peterson brass in mine and it's really good stuff, available everywhere right now BTW

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My Kimber mountain ascent is less than 7.5lbs with the scope. It’s a soft shooter with the muzzle brake and I’ve now got a few different hand loads that shoot well under an inch with the rifle. 166g hammer hunters and 200g nosler partition loads work great. I absolutely love that gun, Kimber haters can hate all they want.

Sled

WKR
Kimber haters can hate all they want.

I heard a Taylor swift song as I read your post.

Btw, Kimber has a place but a very specific one.

To the OP,
There are a lot of light weight rifles on the market these days. Most shoot very well. I'd suggest putting hands on at the local shop before deciding. The handling and ergonomics fit people differently and are subjective to the end user. I can like a rifle immensely and you could hate it.

30 Nosler is a fine cartridge. Another good one to consider is the 300 PRC imo.
I want to say my Christensen Ridgeline in 30-Nosler comes in around 8.6# with scope and sling. With the titanium side baffle muzzle brake, felt recoil is less than my Model 70 in .308 Win. A light magnum rifle is a worthwhile endeavor.

Fierce would be a great choice, the action is based on Sako's. If you want to spend less, I'd look at Tikka. The 300 PRC is a good recommendation.

OP
S
Yeah that's the risk with factory rifles for the most part, which is why I'll only recommend Fierce or Seekins.
Anything creeping up on 3k is better off being built custom.
Also I haven't tweaked my 30 nosler load in 150 rounds, the barrel will last every bit as long as a 300 wm unless you're hammering the throttle with N570.
Im using Peterson brass in mine and it's really good stuff, available everywhere right now BTW
I have 300 never shot nosler brass i found back in 2019. I never found a load i loved because the rifle just never shot worth a dang.
What are you shooting in a .30 nosler. Rifle wise?

I have 300 never shot nosler brass i found back in 2019. I never found a load i loved because the rifle just never shot worth a dang.
What are you shooting in a .30 nosler. Rifle wise?
I built it on a defiance anTi action
24" 8 twist Rock Creek #5 fluted barrel throated for 230 bergers
Triggertech special
Hawkins BDL bottom metal
Alterra Arms Carbon Hunter stock
Here's a few pics, and this seasons bull
20210328_175944.jpg20211011_075644.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I heard a Taylor swift song as I read your post.

Btw, Kimber has a place but a very specific one.

To the OP,
There are a lot of light weight rifles on the market these days. Most shoot very well. I'd suggest putting hands on at the local shop before deciding. The handling and ergonomics fit people differently and are subjective to the end user. I can like a rifle immensely and you could hate it.

Not sure what that means. Whatever though, I guess the “very specific use” is anytime I want to shoot an animal.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
Not sure what that means. Whatever though, I guess the “very specific use” is anytime I want to shoot an animal.
I mean they are for lightweight pursuits that don't require long shots, people that like to tinker, women and children.

I have one and can use it but often find the added weight of a Tikka to be a trade off I'm willing to accept. My kid handles the Kimber well though. To each their own.

I reach for the Kimber when I plan to carry it for a long time and not shoot it.

amassi

WKR
I just got a good deal on a Weatherby Backcountry 6.5CM. I’m going to rebarrel to a 300 WSM at 24” and 1-10. Should be a great lightweight 30 Cal.
Probably should have got one with a magnum 9 lug bolt face

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I mean they are for lightweight pursuits that don't require long shots, people that like to tinker, women and children.

I have one and can use it but often find the added weight of a Tikka to be a trade off I'm willing to accept. My kid handles the Kimber well though. To each their own.

I reach for the Kimber when I plan to carry it for a long time and not shoot it.

I’ve done zero tinkering to any of mine and have no issues shooting them out to 500yds which is as far as I bother practicing. Too each their own, I don’t care what people use anymore. I’m just hoping to find some kimbers that “won’t shoot”for a good price on the classified ads.