Light weight, medium range >600yd, Hunting rifle

Hi,
Im on the lookout for a new light weight rifle that will be used hunting mountain raindeer in Norway. Ive been considering the Savage 110 Ultralite Camo in 6,5cm (Already have a 3006, and dont reload myself, therefore not 28 nosler or 6,5 prc) due to the light weight (5.8lb) and reasonable price (1549$).

Are there any other factorie rifles to consider, that perhaps offers other more suited cartridgers?

Need a caliber that is widely available when it comes to ammo. Haven't symtarted reloading yet...

Does the 6,5 make for a good cartridge at >600yd? Im hunting at 3000ft.

Kind regards

Hard to go wrong with anything 6.5. What’s lightweight? Tikka, Barrett, or custom are your huckleberries. Shot many a barrel out of Tikkas. Never had one that wasn’t MOA or close. The stock works better than you’d think, but upgrades aren’t a bad decision. KRG chassis make the most sense to me if I’m fine tuning ergos.

OP
Hognajegern
Thanks @BravoFoxtrot. Have already had two tikkas, and therefore vant to try something else. Changed stocks on both during my time with them. Plus, everyone uses one, and it would be nice with something else 😅 The fieldcraft seems solid, but will end up costing me 2x as much as the ultralite here in norway.

But i have been considering a t3 action with a proof prefit and a mcmillain carbon stock. But again. Will cost me 2x as much....

Wapiti1

WKR
I'd be looking at Sauer or Steyr if I were across the pond. Sauer 100 or Steyr CL II. Not super light, but the ones that I've handled were nicely made. Maybe Mauser M18. Even CZ. There are several CZ models that we can't get in the States. Bergara is another to consider.

If you want sort of American, Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry or Wilderness and maybe a Kimber. The Fieldcraft is nice, but discontinued. A Remington Mountain Rifle would work too.

Jeremy

kpk

WKR
I can tell you I just sold one of my savages and it will be replaced with yet another Tikka in the same caliber. I'll be ordering the Tikka superlite as soon as this guys money order clears. Not sure if they have an equivalent of the superlite over there. Probably have the Vail model but that's quite expensive for a few added features.

OP
Hognajegern
Already have a sauer 202 @Wapiti1, but a bit heavy and with wood furniture. Not a rifle i want to drag across the mountain. Steyrs are nice, but heavy and expensive. Same with bergera.

Looked at weatherby. However, i will end up spending 2x as much. Maybe next time in a more suited caliber when i start reloading.

For witch reaons @kpk? Have u tried the 110 superlite? Im a bit worried about the forend, the stiffness.

Wapiti1

WKR
There isn't anything wrong with the Savage. Just don't compare the fit and finish to your Sauer.

The Savage Accustock has aluminum that runs up the forearm, so it is reasonably stiff. It can be stiffened with some carbon arrows and epoxy.

It is a decent rifle for a light mountain rifle.

You must have some high import taxes on firearms.

Jeremy

OP
Hognajegern
Have felt few rifles that competes with my Sauer @Wapiti1 😉 german engineering at its best.

Im looking for a cool, light weigt rifle, that shoots far and well without breaking the bank.

Unfortunately the 110 ultralite does not have aliminium bedding. Only reinforced pillars...

The import taxes for firearms are 25% 😱💸 that means im paying 2000$, when its only 1550$. Since the 110 ultralite is not in stock yet over here, i have the chance to get it for the base price (+tax) from a importer without them taking a crazy bonus 😁👍

kpk

WKR
I have a 10T and just sold a 111. Neither were the specific model you're asking about. I'm just not a fan of the Savage action. In comparison to the Tikkas they just feel so unrefined. Running the bolt hard causes binding and they never really seem to eject the way they should. The mag seating/drop, bolt release, and stock just feel "cheap" to me.

For a hunting rifle that's typically only gonna take 1 shot at a time - I think they'd be fine. Both of mine were very accurate. The 10T will put 5 hand loads into a ragged hole every time as long as I do my part. But, I rarely shoot that rifle anymore - for the above issues.

OP
Hognajegern
Its 5000$ over in Norway @BjornF16🥴🥴. Then i would rater get a costum build

BjornF16

WKR
Its 5000$ over in Norway @BjornF16🥴🥴. Then i would rater get a costum build
Say what!? It's practically next door!

I guess "free healthcare" and "free stuff" isn't so free :unsure:

If you're skittish about Savage Ultralite (which would be my choice), then Savage also has some other choices like 110 Storm, 110 Timberline, but you are talking 7.5 to 8lb gun versus 6 lb.